A question about retaking gcse's.

smoochy boys on tour

BountieHunter

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 18, 2003
London
yes,yes another question but as time aproches i got like another 2weeks :OOO getting results on the 24th. I feel that i failed. My mum feels i failed. My dad has hope. Anyways

If you failed your gcse's and you want to re-take them do you go to school for that whole year? Or do you go to the gcse test when the day comes and you study from home, so you can go work and such?.

Blaminator

VIP
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 11, 2003
London
you spend a year doing GNVQs + Either English or Maths GCSE (For one year) then retake at the end of the year

BountieHunter

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 18, 2003
London
PassTheBlam said:
you spend a year doing GNVQs + Either English or Maths GCSE (For one year) then retake at the end of the year

No i mean, say if i fail maths english and science or any of them.

Can i do A levels and retake them at the same time?.

Say if i dont get 5c's but i want to retake them, do i have to go SCHOOL and learn or can i stay home and learn from home then go when test time comes, as i will pay for the tests etc.

Rocky

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 13, 2004
Liverpool!!!
yes u can do A levels and GCSE retakes at the same time, but thats your choice, no doubt thats alot of work, i got an ungraded in my maths and got offerd 2 do the above, turned it down><

Edit: you would have to go to college also to retake your gcse's after a year course

BloodDemon

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 20, 2003
Darlington, UK
yes you can, my best mate failed gcse maths with a D and decided to retake at our local six form college. He did double award ICT worth two A lvls and due to the requirements of the college if he wanted to retake his GCSe maths he had to take up another gcse to compensate for his timetable being full.

So in non confusing terms yes you can but you may need to take up another gcse or half VCE course in order for your college to accept you depending on how strict they are with your timetable.

Hope i helped i do try, if you want anymore information feel free to pm me il do my best to give u some info about what ur getting yourself in for as i have just finished my final year at college and am awaiting my results on the 17th :O

Chris

dopey

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 17, 2004
Ireland, Derry
if u don't get 5 gcse's u needed, don't bother going back to school m8 its quite easy to get atleast 5, just hit the site - btw schools usually only supply classes in maths & english

slight edit to make it correct :P

Last edited:

BloodDemon

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 20, 2003
Darlington, UK
i beg to differ dopey, i know people who got less than 4 and where put on a conditional contract that stated if they dont suceed after the first half of the year they must leave and go do something else away from education. But i see where your coming from since i started college the entry requirements for jobs/college/uni have somewhat increased.

dopey

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 17, 2004
Ireland, Derry
s'pose ur from england...the grading and standards are lower in England that in the north of ireland ... still if u don't get 5 gces's if i were u i would consider gettting full-time employement

hope u get on better than u think

also i am waiting for my GCSE math results atm.... feel i may have feck'd it up :(

got the grades i need for college course thou =) atm just waiting on my maths result

BountieHunter

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 18, 2003
London
You guys still dont answer my question well a part of it.

* I fail gcse.
* I pay to retake my gcse's.
... Now do i have to go school for a whole year and learn for the gcse like every day from 8:30 to 2:00 as i usually go to school...?

OR

Can i go to work and such, learn from home and go to school when time for gcse's has come.

dopey

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 17, 2004
Ireland, Derry
u can go to night classes to usually only last bout 1-2 hours and they last a year but that is only for maths and english

school u wud have to go back and do the years work

BountieHunter

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 18, 2003
London
Rocky said:
no you cant do your own work at home then jst sit the test at the end of year

Huh, so do i have to go school AGAIN, because i dont want that even if i do fail, i want to retake but im not going school for a whole year as i did in year 11.

lozmuir

Former Moderator
VIP
Apr 17, 2003
Congleton, Cheshire.
Do a first diploma in college, course lasts for a year and is worth 5 GCSE's.

then go onto a National Dip afterwards, or just screw GCSE's because they dont count for ****.

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
Sorry BH for the lack of intelligible responses offered to you thus far. I'm starting to think Pebble might have a point with his IQ based registration: /.

Much depends on the level of failure from your results. If they're C/D'ish you'd probably get into a further education college no problem, where you can do A-levels and any needed resits simultaneously.

If they're really bad... as in E or below bad in your core subjects, your best bet is to again goto a FE college, but take a full year to redo them and only them. Do a few, cos they're easy. You'll also benefit from the fact that its unlikely that anyone will recognise you, unless people are doing Alevels there too ;). This will put you a year behind on everyone else, but don't worry about it. Many people come out of the Alevel system at 19 or 20 because they took a gap year, work experience or third year for Alevel. Many indeed maybe like you :).

Your final option is mail GCSE's - where you get the materials sent to you at home and you eventually sit the exam at a registered exam centre (probably a school). They however, cost a LOT.

Good luck
/Leo

F4LL3N_4NG3L

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 7, 2006
Liverpool
Well last year I was in the same boat, I failed all of of my GCSE's (due to family problems) except maths ^^
I decided to go to college and retook my gcse's. You have to enroll in a a full GCSe course which is either a year or two years depending on which one you decide to go for. I chose the year course and have just finished ^^. I must also say it is pretty boring learning the same stuff all over again to still get treated like a child as your taking GCSE's, so I would advise to not to take the GCSE's you like but the one's you are best at, therefore you will have no problem passing them and will be able to take A Levels next year. Yeah you must have 5 A*- C's in order to do most courses at A Level, but with the right choice you will have no problem in getting there.
Goodluck to anyone who is awaiting for thier exam results ^^ wish you all the best of luck..

/Mia