Anti-Hacking Idea

MrSam

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 31, 2005
Leo - whenever we talk, you always manage to leave me feeling confused, lol.

I struggle with the technical stuff, I can often see a way of utilising what is there, but I don't always udnerstand the details - I'm an ideas man not a coder. :)

But if I understood you correctly - there are apps existing already and widely used which could very easily be adapted for this purpose?

If so, even if it's a simple adaptation, there's probably only a handful capable, and I think we all know their names. Two of them have posts directly above mine.

- Be great if one of you guys did this?

At everyone:

You're assuming that the main purpose of this is banning hackers. - Certainly, it could be used that way - a useful tool, but it's not just for server owners to ban people.

It's for the community to track items. This goes for when you're PK'd, when you die and lose an item and your best mate picks it up then claims not to have it... and of COURSE when you're "hacked" - which often turns out to be your roommate has the item.

If someone is hacked, and it's widely known they're hacked, it's very hard for that item to ever resurface.

You're thinking about abuse of the system in the same way that people abuse screenies. Banning people is just one thing you can do with it, and people have to have their own safeguards against that. - Really, saying a PKer or death drop taker hacked you is no more substantial than making the same accusation before. It just doesn't happen.

But if a death drop was stolen, or someone was PK'd, or someone was hacked - anyone who buys the weapon knows they're handling stolen goods.

I personally see a lot of upside to this, and not much downside.

Of course it would be stupid to then go on a banning spree and ban anyone who anyone accuses of anything - but I doubt any server owners would do that.

Just needs using with logic. Also, think about the realistic way that the community would accept it, not unlikely extremes.

SpiritWalker

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 3, 2004
i like your idea. and i think that this would really only be good for the 'long term' servers like RZ and maybe could be a nice idea for DestinyAO if its ever released. since these long term servers do actually have a life span that makes an item have some sort of value this would be a good idea as i know even though its just a game some players do take it seriously and dont like to lose those valuable items.

on the other hand like i said its just a game and they dont really have any worth in real life. were as euro mir2 if you have a good item it can be sold for real life cash. i think i would be a good idea for WeMade to use but not private servers.

Cernd

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 24, 2004
What about Project69 then in that case SpiritWalker...that server has sales for real life cash all the time, hell Scorp even sells off the chars he bans, there are a few servers that this idea would be worth using for although they're very small in number so it's just not really worth it unfortunately.

MrSam

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 31, 2005
Lol - it's a game and it has no value in real life? Remember who ur talkin 2 mate. ;)

This argument that it's not worth stopping something for one group because you're only stopping it for everyone is pretty lame really.

I can see where you're coming from, but even a mid sized server, stopping hacking is a stopping hacking. So what if you only stop a few. If everyone stops a few... u get the idea.

Plus - if everyone on EuroMir gets the notion that private servers have found a way to stop (limit) hackings, then that could drive people frustrated at being hacked onto private servers.

It could also result eventually in EuroMir bothering to use it... lol.

Both of those things could be considered good things.

Last edited:

>DMX<

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 16, 2005
Manchester
MrSam said:
Well - some would say that's a flaw, some would say that's a real plus.

It's an effect. But tbh it would probably not happen like that, people would just know what happens to the sword they were PK'd for.

Ok yeah it makes it harder to sell on weapons u PK'd for. - But really it just means people can't feign ignorance about buying a PKd wep.

Hows taking Pking out a plus lol, if it wasn't meant to be their it wouldn't. People who dont like getting PK'd are on the wrong game.

Also mask dont rip my sig you idiot.

SpiritWalker

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 3, 2004
forgot about P69 tbh. suppose they might be worth something from euro mir. (thats what you do sam am i correct?) so therefore a private server isnt euro (obviously) and they go up and down like yo yo's. it would be good for long term servers like i said that items are worth alot, maybe i wasnt specific enough with that, i didnt know that P69 sold items for real life cash.

nice idea and i am sure that it would benifit some servers.

i think i totally contirdicted my self.

MrSam

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 31, 2005
Thread's getting sidetrakced, but for P69... I've had offers both buying and selling but I don't do it.

It *might* be worth while... not sure... but I don't want to go against an owner's wishes anyway. So kinda irellevant.