Anti-Virus Software

Slipmatt

Why the f are we still here?
Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
Can anyone suggest some good Anti-Virus software? I'm on windows 8.1 I did have AVG and turned out to be a pile of poo... Think I'll stay away from their products from now, I'm having trouble finding something worth actually using.

ventus

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
Use windows defender/ microsoft security essentials. Both are essentially the same thing and not bad.

Slipmatt

Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
Thought I might of posted it in the wrong section, apologies.

I'm sure MSE already comes pre installed on windows 8.1 but iv no idea how to access the control panel for it or run a scan, as you can see I'm not very knowledgable in terms of Anti virus software.

ventus

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
You will have to manage to find Control Panel, Then Click on the Windows Defender Icon to activate it. What I did on my 8 machines is installed classic shell so you get the classic windows 7 start bar so you can find control panel easily.

I cant stand that metro thing they are trying to push with windows 8. Most my machines have been downgraded to windows 7 Ultimate.

Slipmatt

Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
You will have to manage to find Control Panel, Then Click on the Windows Defender Icon to activate it. What I did on my 8 machines is installed classic shell so you get the classic windows 7 start bar so you can find control panel easily.

I cant stand that metro thing they are trying to push with windows 8. Most my machines have been downgraded to windows 7 Ultimate.

I already have something similar that was pre-installed on the PC when I bought it (HP quickbar) ill take a further look at this when I get home from work, thanks guys.

Also I did consider downgrading the OS too, however I didn't bother as iv not really had any issues with W8 so far in terms of performance and optimization.

ventus

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 17, 2013
I already have something similar that was pre-installed on the PC when I bought it (HP quickbar) ill take a further look at this when I get home from work, thanks guys.

Also I did consider downgrading the OS too, however I didn't bother as iv not really had any issues with W8 so far in terms of performance and optimization.

Performance wise windows 8 is much better then 7, and uses less ram too! But I take that slight decrease in performance over that metro tablet like thing anyday.

Not like we are running Crysis 3 here lol

Last edited:

Slipmatt

Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
Performance wise windows 8 is much better then 7, and uses less ram too! But I take that slight decrease in performance over that metro tablet like thing anyday.

Not like we are running Crysis 3 here lol
At present I only have 4gb of ram think I'll persevere for now :p however I do agree the tablet like thing is real annoying I for one sure don't understand why they thought it would be a good ideax