Asp

Join Discord

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
I'm editting a website which is written in asp (I've not used it before), can anyone tell me what the main differences are?

More importantly, I've downloaded all the files from the server so I can work on it locally and tried uploading it to my personal ftp to use as a test site, but it became apparent I need to set something up first in order for it to work, as atm the pages just display as if I were reading them in notepad?

/noob

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
why the hell are you using ASP? Its Microsofts version of PHP as it were. Instead of using MySQL it uses SQL Server. Primarily used for very large websites which hold databases much larger than what MySQL could handle, and is closed source (no where near as many support guides for it)

I did one of my final year projects on studying this.

So in answer to your question, unless your host uses SQL Server, you aint going no where fast. That is if you're even connecting it to a database?

Stick to PHP, unless you have some special requirement for it?

Hany

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 28, 2005
I'm editting a website which is written in asp (I've not used it before), can anyone tell me what the main differences are?

More importantly, I've downloaded all the files from the server so I can work on it locally and tried uploading it to my personal ftp to use as a test site, but it became apparent I need to set something up first in order for it to work, as atm the pages just display as if I were reading them in notepad?

/noob

lol you'd need a webserver, dl apache http://apache.org/ then add asp mod into apache

i dunno the link to the latest asp mod google it im sure ull find it

then u can browse ur site, but u can do it off visual studio aswell w/o hosting it

Last edited:

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
ah ok thanks, i'll just use the existing server then rather than test it locally

No idea why it's in asp then Fartpit, the guy who made it is a bit of an idiot from what I can tell. It's a pretty small site as well.

Koriban

Addict
Legendary
Loyal Member
Aug 18, 2006
Brighton
ah ok thanks, i'll just use the existing server then rather than test it locally

No idea why it's in asp then Fartpit, the guy who made it is a bit of an idiot from what I can tell. It's a pretty small site as well.

MASSIVE idiot in that case =/

What you planning on any how? anything coolsies?

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England

You'd might want to consider re-writing it in PHP.