Backup Partition...

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
Well, a while back i formated my laptop. I had to use a windows install CD that i borrowed off my friend in order to re install windows to my computer. But when i did that hardly nothing worked on my laptop because the needed drivers were not on the windows install disc, so i had to download the drivers seperatly, but i couldnt get them all :( now i cant write files to cd because my computer just crashes when i try to etc. I want to try get my recory disc working again, because that installed ALL the needed drivers for my laptop etc. But i by reading some sites, it looks like i cant use this disc again because in order for the disc to work you need the backup partition on your HDD, but when i formatted my HDD i lost this backup partition :(

So i was wondering is there ANY way at all that i can access or recover this backup partition???

Sorry if it doesnt make any sense to you, i was rushing coz i got to logg for min -.-

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
When you installed your current windows xp did you choose to delete/create any specific partitions? During installation you should have been given a screen showing all the available partioned and unpartitioned space on your hard drive(s). You can use a utilities & partitioning program such as Hirens Boot Disc [54mb Version 7.4(Latest)] to access files on the harddrive that are protected or on a hidden partition.

You will need to burn it to a spare CD and have it in your disk drive when rebooting the computer - boot from the disk and then browse through the programs on the disk... has a lot of handy tools and most the changes are reversable.

[edit]

Alternatively I can help you find your required drivers if you can post CPUZ tabs of your motherboard. Most onboard controller drivers can be found on the manufacturer's websites.

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
Oki ty m8 :) ill get cpu z screenshot in min :)

Also, i reformated the whole of c drive, so i lost everything :( just wondering if the backup partition was deleted, if so, can it be recovered somehow?? Because wen i formatted my lappy, it never came up with a partition thing :( just said something like *are you sure to want to delete all data on hard drive?*.

Last edited:

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
If there was a "backup" partition, it would of been seperate of the main thing, which I assume you deletd when reinstalling your system. The Partition Magic program on that CD (in bootup mode) will chck all your partitions for you.

I'm still curious though, a restore CD usually contains a Ghost Image of the OEM (factory installed) files and therefore you wouldn't need a 'backup' partition.

As for the CPUZ tabs m8, all you need to do is make a text dump of your cpuz (last tab near the bottom) and copy paste the content here. Much simpler than uploading images + faster.

Turin.

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
ill do l8a m8, not on laptop atm, ill be on it at about 4ish :(

Also reading about my recovery disc i found out that its just a recovery disc, and it needs the backup partition to re install laptop to factory settings. If that partition is deleted the disc will no longer work. And you will need a *master* disc in order to re install laptop to factory settings, but i dont have a master disc :(

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
a copy from the origional should work ok, usualy backup partitions are hidden by default to stop users deleting them by mistake and to stop viruses getting at them.

and turin, some laptop manafactures only make the cd so that the backup partition can be acessed, since that partition contains a compressed image of the manafacture setup

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
Since they are hidden, he can access them via the tool I gave him. He wants to actually restore the image, that can be done using a program such as Norton System Works, if he knows the drive number for the backup partition. (Usualy R or G). But those are usually unprotected in offline mode and therefore can be accessed.

Turin.

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
That tool ont work for me mate :( i put all the files onto disc (after i extracted them all) but my computer wont boot up off the disc :(

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
Strange, its meant to give you a "boot from disk" notice for a few seconds at startup. Failing that, it means your HDD or other device probably boots before the CD/DVD drive. These settings can be changed in the BIOS (bootup order).

><Turin

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
na, its disc :( my recovery disc boots up from cd drive, but it comes up as windows 98 etc, an doesnt alllow me to restore origanal comp factory settings :(

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
Argh, I'm stumped m8 I'm sorry - don't think I could do anything from this end :(

Hope someone can help you asap!
Turin

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
ty m8 :) thanks for all help.

Also thanks anon for msn help :)

still not got sorted, but i hopefully will get it sorted in time ^__^

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
oh and please post the CPUZ HTML report if you can plz! I can get you all [at least most] your drivers so there won't be any need to reformat. You'll just backup ya drivers and install fresh XP whenever u want ^^