Best files to use at the moment?

Join Discord

Shank

The_Mafia
VIP
Dec 4, 2008
As everyone has already said. Although C# files are really smooth and easy to setup / edit, they are incomplete and can't be expected to be ran without serious programming and time. Both Bon and DK's servers have been adding the required features to it for months. It's still a long way off being ready for anyone to pick up and use, but i look forward to the day it is ready, and is the most used set of files.

Also Sam, wrong thread but can you update your thread to include mounts and fishing on c# please when you get chance
I wouldn't focus on silly things like fishing and mounts as they're minor, its things like npc commands and more options(things a server owner would need/want) on the m2 cause from looking at it first time its very basic aslong as its upto the standard of 2.3 for example then its ok to use as a base as not everyone wants stupid monk/archer and even assassin classes.

No offence but why don't you release Three/fourheroes files? they are more up to date than ruby / heroes and proven to be stable, plus its not like its going to effect your 10 users, and your working on a new set of files anyway.

You've always said you would release them and i doubt server creators care how difficult they are to use. Its only mir after all.
That's like saying why dont you release chron files as when bens server opens it will kill off yours? its petty arguing... hence why this will never be sorted out and a community helping each other again as you have little groups working on there own stuff and useless to everyone else which means it will just die out eventually.

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I wouldn't focus on silly things like fishing and mounts as they're minor, its things like npc commands and more options(things a server owner would need/want) on the m2 cause from looking at it first time its very basic aslong as its upto the standard of 2.3 for example then its ok to use as a base as not everyone wants stupid monk/archer and even assassin classes.

Fishing is the best feature i've added tbh, it's not a real mmo unless you can do useless activities.

Also apart from a few NPC commands and things like MapQuest, Guild Wars then the files are up to a pretty good standard. If there wasn't any fear of hackers then i think you could happily play the files on the first 3 classes without wondering whats missing, and you can fish.

Last edited:

Shank

The_Mafia
VIP
Dec 4, 2008
Fishing is the best feature i've added tbh, it's not a real mmo unless you can do useless activities.

Also apart from a few NPC commands and things like MapQuest, Guild Wars then the files are up to a pretty good standard. If there wasn't any fear of hackers then i think you could happily play the files on the first 3 classes without wondering whats missing, and you can fish.
I've not really looked at the files in depth, QManage, QFunction etc work as it should? Any eta on MapQuest? I'll download the client for these now and take a look.

Guild Wars is a big thing :( whens that being added lol.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
I've not really looked at the files in depth, QManage, QFunction etc work as it should? Any eta on MapQuest? I'll download the client for these now and take a look.

Guild Wars is a big thing :( whens that being added lol.

I'm the only one working on these files, so I work on features when i feel like it, and I work through bugs when they're reported. At the moment I'm working on the big fun features, hence Mounts and Fishing.

In regards to QManage / QFunction, try not to compare these files to Ruby/Heroes etc as I've not followed them, however the things that QManage/QFunction can do is possible on these files.

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK
That's like saying why dont you release chron files as when bens server opens it will kill off yours? its petty arguing... hence why this will never be sorted out and a community helping each other again as you have little groups working on there own stuff and useless to everyone else which means it will just die out eventually.

One, because their not my files to release. Two, because chron has an active userbase of 100+ users where threeheroes has 10 users and its server owners are now working on a completely new set of files.
Three, i very much doubt bons server will kill off chron as it was supposed to be released in July and now has been set back to February, that alone tells you what state the files are in.

I think bon just wants Ace released so he can scrap c# and use ace files instead lol.

sarafino

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 21, 2012
One, because their not my files to release. Two, because chron has an active userbase of 100+ users where threeheroes has 10 users and its server owners are now working on a completely new set of files.
Three, i very much doubt bons server will kill off chron as it was supposed to be released in July and now has been set back to February, that alone tells you what state the files are in.

I think bon just wants Ace released so he can scrap c# and use ace files instead lol.

That would just be a waste of how ever many months they've spent developing their set of files. Seems unlikely that'd be the case imo.

It is a shame that everyone is so petty over these things nowdays, but unfortunately when there is money to be made from it, it is always going to happen. Part of me finds this fair enough as developers put time and effort in to it. Yet another part of me then finds this sort of stuff contradictory, particularly the ones that then go onto server own, when they claim it is not their job etc (Real life will always come first, this is just pure conjecture on my behalf as to why I find it somewhat contradictory).

Ultimately, I think mir has become even more about greed as the userbase has dwindled down. It would be fantastic if this worked and everyone played one server, but frankly that won't happen; so slowly I think it forces the community to grow ever smaller due to the good servers / cheat free servers out there to play just don't exsist and people leave. Someone just needs to be the bigger man for the community and give it a chance to re-establish itself if possible.

Last edited:

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
In my opinion I like C# due to its basic layout and smoothness.. Never got into Heroes tbh and I started playing around with AppleM2 source which I now have stopped due to having major issues with Delphi 2007, (Even though I made a guide to get them working funny enough) But since upgrading to a SSD it's never play'd ball

The route Far is taking with his commit's to the source some people would say is all wrong... but the files are usable but then you need to think This bloke is the only one working on them.. Yes you have people working on their own set (IE Ben + DeathKnight) I don't know the current state of their own set's are but I presume their files are custom (feature wise) If you constantly code the normal basic stuff from 1.4/1.9/2.3/2.6 ETC you are going to get bored.. And I appreciate every release Far has done so far

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK
That would just be a waste of how ever many months they've spent developing their set of files. Seems unlikely that'd be the case imo.

It is a shame that everyone is so petty over these things nowdays, but unfortunately when there is money to be made from it, it is always going to happen. Part of me finds this fair enough as developers but time and effort in to it. Yet another part of me then finds this sort of stuff contradictory, particularly the ones that then go onto server own, when they claim it is not their job etc (Real life will always come first, this is just pure conjecture on my behalf as to why I find it somewhat contradictory).

Ultimately, I think mir has become even more about greed as the userbase has dwindled down. It would be fantastic if this worked and everyone played one server, but frankly that won't happen; so slowly I think it forces the community to grow ever smaller due to the good servers / cheat free servers out there to play just don't exsist and people leave. Someone just needs to be the bigger man for the community and give it a chance to re-establish itself if possible.

This is the point i'm making, its easy for people to jump on the bandwagon and moan about files not being released but when the tables are turned its a different story.

I don't expect bon will release his files, so him asking sam to release his is a joke considering his circumstances are more allowing for a release than sams currently are.

Mir servers have become a business, like it or not. Nobody is going to release their files while their server is still pulling in hundreds of players, it doesn't make business sense.

The days of modding/rehashing base server files are gone, if you want to make anything of your server you need to code unique features and keep it updated. Messing with races and mob images just doesn't cut it anymore, players want all new mobs and new spells. We are over 10 years into development of servers and a lot of stuff has already been done & tried so players grow restless when new features aren't constantly being contributed to the game.

Last edited:

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
This is the point i'm making, its easy for people to jump on the bandwagon and moan about files not being released but when the tables are turned its a different story.

I don't expect bon will release his files, so him asking sam to release his is a joke considering his circumstances are more allowing for a release than sams currently are.

Mir servers have become a business, like it or not. Nobody is going to release their files while their server is still pulling in hundreds of players, it doesn't make business sense.

The days of modding/rehashing base server files are gone, if you want to make anything of your server you need to code unique features and keep it updated. Messing with races and mob images just doesn't cut it anymore, players want all new mobs and new spells. We are over 10 years into development of servers and a lot of stuff has already been done & tried so players grow restless when new features aren't constantly being contributed to the game.
From what I've seen of the AppleM2 source compared to the AceM2/Chronicles (Visible game play wise) Sam and the Ace team has a very professional looking server.. But on the feature side of stuff it just looks a lot like any other set (Visible game play)

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Can we stop with the "So an so won't release because they're greedy". I understand why people don't release their files when they have an active server running off them, funny how Ben has the cheek to start this all off though.

My post was just a suggestion to Sam, nothing more. Would be really good to see a basic, early set get a release even if it didn't have Archer/Assassin class included!

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Can we stop with the "So an so won't release because they're greedy". I understand why people don't release their files when they have an active server running off them, funny how Ben has the cheek to start this all off though.

My post was just a suggestion to Sam, nothing more. Would be really good to see a basic, early set get a release even if it didn't have Archer/Assassin class included!

I always thought AceM2 never had Assassin + Archer until Sam coded them for Chronicles so if a basic set of Ace came out it would never include those anyway.

This is something the owners of AceM2 has to decide as a group not just Sam.

sarafino

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 21, 2012

I think we're getting at the same thing, just from different angles. Although new AI's etc is something people do look forward to, there is still plenty of potential for a server to use the same skins/mobs/AI's that have been around for a long time. A good, successful server for me is one with good content (obviously rates have to be correct to keep inline with the content), by this I mean, packed full of good hard content that isn't breezed past within 2-3 weeks. Caves and maps that are thought about a little bit, rather than your standard 4floors and 1 KR.

Some of the best caves etc I've hunted on various servers, haven't been the ones with brand new AI's but ones were you maybe had to complete a small quest to unlock the next floor i.e. kill a boss or collect an item. Something that forced you to kill. This is doable without the need for coders. I don't know, just feel there is definitely still room for a good server without the necessity of new AI's and features.

I get the feel (personal opinion ofc) that on Chronicles, although its a low rate, long term server, there is at times too much focus on the new stuff and the coding side, when it isn't always brand new never seen before content needed to appease the players, it is just well thought out content that is needed. Of course it's good to see new features etc but there is definitely still the potential for someone out there (with a good set of files) to create a good server without the need to be introducing brand new features. I guess we'll just have to wait and see whether or not anyone releases anything, even as Dale said, something such as a basic set of the files without the added features that are individual to Chronicles.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Making a good server shouldn't be down to the coding ability. Look at the old pre-source greats.. Project69,WeOwn,Frozen,Torozor.

When I used to play Euro Mir back in the day when you did guild hunt's to ST 7th to kill WEB's and KS for measly GreatAxe's Serps + MageStaffs.

I also agree with the cave situation people just added new caves for the sake of it. I used to love hunting through the Connection Path's.. problem is now that Mir2 is such a old game and same caves are just used on nearly every server which dosent give any desire of exploration and this is what Mir need's

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK
I get the feel (personal opinion ofc) that on Chronicles, although its a low rate, long term server, there is at times too much focus on the new stuff and the coding side, when it isn't always brand new never seen before content needed to appease the players, it is just well thought out content that is needed. Of course it's good to see new features etc but there is definitely still the potential for someone out there (with a good set of files) to create a good server without the need to be introducing brand new features. I guess we'll just have to wait and see whether or not anyone releases anything, even as Dale said, something such as a basic set of the files without the added features that are individual to Chronicles.
I don't disagree, its just a server such as you mentioned has a limited shelf life before players expect more. We've been through this with 2.3 where teams squeezed every bit of creativity they could until eventually it wasn't enough to keep players attention anymore and teams became bottle-necked.

Saying that, a new standard set of files like 2.3 are much needed, but the problems lie in making it open or closed source, open source has time and time again created splinter groups who go and do their own servers and the public files get left behind. Then there is closed source which hinges on a couple of people to provide all the updates which can be overwhelming and if they decide to take a break from it, the community suffers from lack of updates/fixes. This eventually leads to the files becoming seriously outdated.

TheMasterGee

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Apr 23, 2003

It's a fair comment Skyline, and I'd say most of us wholly understand why people want to hold on to their advancements and good things they've done. Especially those of us who've coded problems and issues in the past.

I think there's a finer grey line above this tho, that there are many of us that bang our heads on the desk on a daily basis because we know that with each of the sources that get to a point, come to a standstill in their open form, then are dev'd privately - I mean it's great, and I personal don't think anything against the people who do it and feel that it's either not ready to release or never plan to (until over a year later when they're bored with it and another source is out), it's just many of us do this banging heads on the desk in despair because:

We (those who've been in and around this community alone for up to around 11 years) have seen the cycles repeat so many times - and there is a common bunch of facts that frustrate us all (and this is no slam or meant as an offence to anyone at-all, we love all of you - in Mir terms of course ;)), that from all of the community, we could list up to and over 30 people who have done absolutely fantastic work on 1.4/1.X/Ruby/Heroes/Apple/Ace/etc, and it's accepted that initially a 10 or so will work together on a bunch of source, which winds down to eventually 1 or 2, then it's canned, then perhaps each doing their own thing, then a server is hosted and something like Chronicles is born - with limited people doing lots and lots of work.

Heroes source being open is fantastic, and the way it's done looks a great way of doing things imo. If ALL the sources for ALL the versions of Mir were hosted in a similar way, these 30 odd people, half of which don't get along maybe, can work on bits and pieces collectively without too much personal contact (which appears to effect the larger groups who work together behind closed doors). It just appears to many of us that it's such a waste of talent, and we do all, in the end, cling to this community because we love Mir.

Something pops up on the Ruby source that absolutely kills some form of cheating, the source can be ported to the other versions (as a bad example, I know it's not always as easy as that). Something as simple as solving a glitch on one can be reflected on the others - whatever. It's understandable that hosters' versions of live servers they'll want to keep to themselves, but I'm talking about just the engine(s) themselves.

This is getting hard to explain, and I'm waffling here so I apologise, but I think daneo1989 knows where I'm coming from, probably Shank, Far, and so on. We have no interest in who 'owns' a server source, but would like to see as many people as possible working together for a common purpose.

I honestly feel for Sam sometimes (whatever politics aside that many of us don't know about), Chronicles is fantastic, but if there were another 29+ people working on fixes and additions for just the basic engine alone, I'm sure it'd be a massive help. The distinct server attributes we could probably all care less about (or maybe we shouldn't cos it'd be nice if they were common-ish to a certain point).

Gah, we can live in hope.

There's hundreds of people who care more about the attributes of a server; too much MC for this; or too much ME% for that... I think this is missing the point when beta/testing a live server, and wastes alot of time - this is incredibly minor compared to what the engine does. Any hoster can change attributes in a table.

Shank

The_Mafia
VIP
Dec 4, 2008
I'm glad people are voicing there opinions about all this as I've seen barely any talk of it recently.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Theres always lots of talk about which set of files to use, and it always comes down to the same answer. You have heros and ruby being the most complete set of files, and c# as a new file set that's not ready unless you can code the features in yourself. I think Sams thread nails exactly all the main features of the files available for use, and in the end it comes down to your own preference.

There will never be a time when all the people who like to run / build servers will join together to make one uber server. Everyone has their own style and opinions, its how the world works.

sarafino

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 21, 2012
Theres always lots of talk about which set of files to use, and it always comes down to the same answer. You have heros and ruby being the most complete set of files, and c# as a new file set that's not ready unless you can code the features in yourself. I think Sams thread nails exactly all the main features of the files available for use, and in the end it comes down to your own preference.

There will never be a time when all the people who like to run / build servers will join together to make one uber server. Everyone has their own style and opinions, its how the world works.

I'm not sure you've completely grasped what a few of us are getting at. Of course everyone won't band together, there's too many obvious differences in personality let alone server opinions!

The main point is, if there is a newer set i.e. Ace M2, that run better than heroes/Ruby, then why not release a basic set and let people continue to release servers with more capabilities (depending on the server owner). For the good of the mir community, as like I mentioned earlier, what happens when people finally give up as they can't compete with newer files that aren't available because someone is keeping a monopoly on this already small community?

No one is asking anyone to release anything without being credited or without appreciation. It will still be their work they've put into said files, and no one can deny that.

Can't speak for others, but for me, it comes down once again to greed and wanting to keep a monopoly on the community, forcing many who don't want to completely give up on mir into playing their server. They should be confident enough in what they're doing with their more advanced files to continue their good work and keep a good high usercount. What is being suggested and talked about here, is not server destroying unless, people are genuinely only playing due to lack of other options due to certain issues with other files.

I realise some of this may sound like a dig at Chronicles or Samuel, it is not. You can change the context to apply it to others that are doing the same with various files also. It is just my opinion on the matter.

Skepta

Veteran
Feb 15, 2010
Lee you should try and recruit a coder and finish off the files you've been working on, Guessing it will be high / med rate if your making it and that's what the commuinty need's at the moment, i understand load's are waiting 5H but Ben's making 5h a lot different to any other server the Pvp bases of it will be weird as he stated before speed will not matter you will be able to get hit while running etc, a lot of people wont like this me including because if you cant dodge skill's then it takes away the hole point of being good an actually being able to use your reaction time's to move away from the hit being casted.

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
I'm not sure you've completely grasped what a few of us are getting at. Of course everyone won't band together, there's too many obvious differences in personality let alone server opinions!

The main point is, if there is a newer set i.e. Ace M2, that run better than heroes/Ruby, then why not release a basic set and let people continue to release servers with more capabilities (depending on the server owner). For the good of the mir community, as like I mentioned earlier, what happens when people finally give up as they can't compete with newer files that aren't available because someone is keeping a monopoly on this already small community?

No one is asking anyone to release anything without being credited or without appreciation. It will still be their work they've put into said files, and no one can deny that.

Can't speak for others, but for me, it comes down once again to greed and wanting to keep a monopoly on the community, forcing many who don't want to completely give up on mir into playing their server. They should be confident enough in what they're doing with their more advanced files to continue their good work and keep a good high usercount. What is being suggested and talked about here, is not server destroying unless, people are genuinely only playing due to lack of other options due to certain issues with other files.

I realise some of this may sound like a dig at Chronicles or Samuel, it is not. You can change the context to apply it to others that are doing the same with various files also. It is just my opinion on the matter.

So I feel I should clear something up. Sam has wanted to release AceM2 files numerous times and each time I stopped him. I do not believe it would be all that good for the Mir community to release more files. Take a look at Heroes the last set of files I (and so many others) managed and released and think back to the servers that ran at the time, the majority of them were short money grabbing servers and the rest failed due to various other reasons. The only long term server using the Heroes files is Arcadia and that only came about because Scorp took the Source and closed it.

If Sam was to release a basic set of AceM2 where do you suggest it begins and ends? Does he release an older version to maintain competitive advantage, does he just release binaries and minimal documentation or does he release a copy of the Chronicles server files so anyone can instantly run a clone with little to no work. Does he update the files when the bots and cheats start working again? Does he release updates soon after Chronicles gets then and thus have to manage both releases and run a server? He can't release the old AceM2 Server files btw cause well people just wouldn't really want to play them due to the various bugs and again speed cheats and bots that work on those files.

What the Mir Community benefits from is well supported and stable servers and frankly the only way to have that is to have source and a coder(s). Mir hasn't been as well populated as it is now in years. We have 2 very successful servers in Chronicles and Arcadia with a 3rd Server from Bon coming soon. Then we have 11 other servers that are online across Mir2 and Mir3 if you look @ the Mir Server List.

Frankly I've come to regret how I did releases in the past, numerous other people have profited from the work myself and others put into files and we seen none of it. Sam and everyone else who puts a **** load of time and effort into files should not be called greedy because they don't want someone to do minimal work and potentially take a vast chunk of the pie