Best language for me?

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Wondering what the best format/language is for me (to learn) to create a website. It's for a friends website now my best option (being graphically inclined) is to make the template in photoshop; that part isn't a problem it's just the actual building of the site I need to learn lol and obviously to convert a bunch of images into an actual website.

Other requirements are to easily add content (mainly just text based stuff and maybe some images too) and also need to hook it up with things like facebook/twitter/linkedin NO F'ING CLUE where to start with that though lol

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
I'd say learn HTML 5, but I dunno what it's like as I'm too scared to even have a look myself (can produce some amazing stuff with it), so just stick to HTML 4.

Build your "template" in Photoshop, making sure it's sliced up then just export it to a HTML page, afaik it creates a table for you with all the slices in separate cells... then you can go from there.

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk
Not too sure but you could just use word press and customise to your needs and add plugins for facebook, twitter etc. Or create the site in dreamweaver, adding facebook, twitter etc is very easy. I'm sure some ones got a better idea than me though..

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
I'd say learn HTML 5, but I dunno what it's like as I'm too scared to even have a look myself (can produce some amazing stuff with it), so just stick to HTML 4.

Build your "template" in Photoshop, making sure it's sliced up then just export it to a HTML page, afaik it creates a table for you with all the slices in separate cells... then you can go from there.

yeah I've sliced templates before but never actually tried importing them into dreamweaver or anything. Maybe I should start there. But yeah main issue is adding actual functionality.

In theory though I don't think it's a particularly difficult site to build...there's nothing amazing to it really ? Guess I'll look into html

Gezza said:
Or create the site in dreamweaver, adding facebook, twitter etc is very easy.

Is it? Haven't even looked yet, thanks though

Last edited:

Celsius

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
Just use WordPress, loads of free templates out there for it or you could buy one if you want, they are only like $20.

If you use WordPress, just whack some plug-ins in which will stick the social marketing crap on, if you pick the right plug-in.

You need basic knowledge of HTML and PHP.

DO NOT make your HTML template using tables.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
At first, I'd say to mess about with tables. Then move on to div tags & CSS.

You don't really "import" them into Dreamweaver, you just save the file "for web" and it'll save each slice as a separate image so you can make templates and such.

As for functionality, what type of social network linking are you talking about?

mStation

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 29, 2003
♫♪♫ ♦♥♠♣ ♀♂♀
hi!

i have some experience in web design and mostly i love to code websites using php, it is simple.. straight forward and reminds me C which is kinda basic.. you can do loads of nice things with php and if you merge it with HTML 5 you can make very great work.. also CCS3 for the template would be a good start but i guess there is already too much to learn if you want to start with all of these.. probably best hit for starting would be using basic html and css with php for functions like login, database querys etc etc..

if you really like to make things fancy and nice to see then i suggest to have a look at mootools.. it is a great framework and you can really do nice things with it.. things that with javascript you have to hassle become much easier.. a website which i always like to look at for getting ideas is http://davidwalsh.name/

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Considering PHP is server side scripting and HTML is client side, you can't really compare the two... it's why I didn't bother mentioning it.

Celsius

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 31, 2008
what is server side and client side lol

you know, sharing things on twitter/fbook etc, Like

HTML is simply parsed by the browser and the browser is responsible for displaying the HTML in the correct format. (Hence why you get some browsers being incompatible with certain websites, cough IE cough)

PHP is compiled by the web host (server) when it is loaded, then ran.

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk
you know, sharing things on twitter/fbook etc, Like

You can go to the developers page on facebook and add your details and that and they give you the code to add a like button etc, pretty much same as paypal donate button i guessing twitter will have the same sort of thing.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Just use WordPress, loads of free templates out there for it or you could buy one if you want, they are only like $20.

If you use WordPress, just whack some plug-ins in which will stick the social marketing crap on, if you pick the right plug-in.

You need basic knowledge of HTML and PHP.

DO NOT make your HTML template using tables.

Don't really want to use a premade template. This is for a small business not a random site. I'm looking in to creating a wordpress theme though, it's going ok but ugh I need to learn how to make menus and shi t!

I love it when people ask me to do things I don't know how.

p.s. lol mask

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
i love html and php., recently got in to asp too. don't use cs's table import though, get out of using tables completely.

look up html and css, always always use style sheets in a website that you might want to edit in the future. also means if you have more than 1 page it reduces your code so much.

w3school is your friend.

mapadale

It's a waste of time learning html5 or php, when you have programs such as concrete 5, phpnuke, joomla, cms that all can build a very basic too ver complicated website and has no need to really know any form of webdesign.