best way to send your pc to another TV

Join Discord

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
i've got a windows pc (wired) in one room, and want to be able to send the video and audio to a TV in another room, and control it with my android phone.

currently i send my PC directly to my android phone using slash top - however a phones display is too small so i want to do the same thing to a TV.

my initial thought was to buy a wireless android media player, install splash top on it, and then use unified remote to control my pc (which in turn would then control my tv).

However im having trouble finding a branded media player which runs android (western digital, ROKU, Netgear etc all use their own OS without access to Google Play)

I also thought about buying a raspberry Pi and installing hamachi on it, however unified remote doesn't have a linux server app - so i wouldn't be able to control it with my phone.

This must be something people want, does anyone have any suggestions on the best / least messy way to get this set up.

Money isn't really an issue, however i'd like the devices to be small so they can be hidden behind to TV without wires sticking out.

knives

100% Hyphonix
Golden Oldie
Aug 3, 2004
stream to a ps3/ps4/xbox/xboxone, and use the controller to control it....

Paniko

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Nov 15, 2006
i've got a windows pc (wired) in one room, and want to be able to send the video and audio to a TV in another room, and control it with my android phone.

currently i send my PC directly to my android phone using slash top - however a phones display is too small so i want to do the same thing to a TV.

my initial thought was to buy a wireless android media player, install splash top on it, and then use unified remote to control my pc (which in turn would then control my tv).

However im having trouble finding a branded media player which runs android (western digital, ROKU, Netgear etc all use their own OS without access to Google Play)

I also thought about buying a raspberry Pi and installing hamachi on it, however unified remote doesn't have a linux server app - so i wouldn't be able to control it with my phone.

This must be something people want, does anyone have any suggestions on the best / least messy way to get this set up.

Money isn't really an issue, however i'd like the devices to be small so they can be hidden behind to TV without wires sticking out.

I think yu need a DLNA/uPnP media server .. try to use Serviio check it at: http://www.serviio.org/

or you cant try to find another one that you prefer from this list:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_UPnP_AV_media_servers

or maybe you need a WD Live TV

http://wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
@knives and @paniko, i'm not sure you got what i meant.

I understand i can buy a media player or console and stream by videos/music to my TV, but what i want is to be able to mirror whats on my computer wirelessly to my TV. (either through a wireless adapter or to a network port).

@lilcooldoode, that adapter does sound like a compromise, but i want to be able to control whats on the screen via my phone - so using my phone as the media source wouldn't make this possible.

Ideally i want a small windows computer that i can link through hamachi to mirror my desktop, then use my phone as the remote. However this is more expensive than it needs to be, and should be possible with another smaller media player in some way.

Edit:
@Paniko the WD player you suggested looks good, but it doesn't have access to websites. If theres a media player that has bookmarks and access to view any webpage that should suit my needs.

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Yes, that's almost it. However i dont think they work with desktops.

That uses the laptops wireless signal to connect to the TV adapter, which is similar to Netgears Push2TV. Unfortunately these only work when you have an intel wireless display adapter (which only come with laptops).

I need something which plugs in to my TV and connects wirelessly to my router, and my desktop can connect through wired to my router to mirror the display.

I found out about to chromecast yesterday, which is a tiny wireless adapter that plugs in to your tv, and lets you cast your desktop browser directly to the TV.

It also has an experimental feature to cast the entire desktop. This is exactly what i want, but i've heard some bad things about it that Google are trying to limit indie developments for it so they can push their own products.

I want to be able to cast my whole pc, and also cast anything from my phone from it in the future.