Bring back FrOzEn?

smoochy boys on tour

If you would like FrOzEn back, which version would you want?

• Total voters

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
Killmaster said:
how did you get to that conclusion? there are many people capable of making a good server if they just take there time.

ppl are capable of making good servers, but no ones capable of making the feeling leos server did.

hence all the poor copies of frozen brought out last year, when they tried to copy leo.

wldnt b the same if someone else did it, end of.

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
Shard said:

...I don't understand your point. Some people might want 1.9 due to the newest weapons and armours ability to be used on those and they might think that 1.4 is not able to use them, and I was stating that 1.4 can.

The PvP could only be changed if Damian actually changed it himself. Unless has someone has good knowledge of how to code in, Delphi I think? With 1.4 it has a more sturdy feel to it than 1.9 and just feels better for PvP, along with what Rebel said.

I feel that the new spells would unbalance the game as, well, they weren't there on UnFrOzEn or original FrOzEn and it coped quite well. Bringing in FlameField and LionRoar with the high stats of FrOzEn would severely unbalance the game.

The 'old skool' community are definitely better players than the current community which seems to exist of hyped up 13/14 year olds thinking they can 'pwn u on eny srver' due to the extremely high stats and easy levelling of most servers. At least with the 'old skool' community, you could have a decent PvP and not have abuse hurled when you lose, e.g. 'pwned irl tbh m7'.

I really don't agree with this. When the first 1.9 server came out, everyone downloaded the 1.9 client. Do you not think people would download a measly 281mb client in order to play this 1.4 server? Most of the people here have played it and a lot of them strive to get that old school feel of Mir back, and Leo is offering it to us.

Only going to say one thing as i know you wont agree even if i made 1,000 points why 1.9 would be better;

1. Stats dont change a thing, if theres high dc stats, theres high ac stats what counter it.
The fact that you say the spells would unbalance it because of high stats is stupid, If i had 250amc a flamefield wouldnt even touch me even if you had 250mc.

/Tofas

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
Shard said:

I really don't agree with this. When the first 1.9 server came out, everyone downloaded the 1.9 client. Do you not think people would download a measly 281mb client in order to play this 1.4 server? Most of the people here have played it and a lot of them strive to get that old school feel of Mir back, and Leo is offering it to us.

You can patch a 1.4 client to work on 1.9 without some mobs but with the spells in about 7mb. the only real things that accumilate the aditional space are EM armours weapons hum effect tiles objects and mobs.

But as most people now have 2mb+ downloading the 1.9 installer or full client isn't much of a huge problem.

Shard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 12, 2003
Tofas said:
Only going to say one thing as i know you wont agree even if i made 1,000 points why 1.9 would be better;

1. Stats dont change a thing, if theres high dc stats, theres high ac stats what counter it.
The fact that you say the spells would unbalance it because of high stats is stupid, If i had 250amc a flamefield wouldnt even touch me even if you had 250mc.

/Tofas

Please make 1000 points as to why 1.9 would be better for this FrOzEn server that was made famous using the 1.4 files. The whole feeling of the server would change. It would not be the same at all. It's not the features I care about; it's the feeling of the server altogether.

FlameField with 250MC would do a lot of damage. FlameField with say, 88MC on EuroMir, does a hell of a lot of damage even against a warrior with say, 50AMC. Even if the figures are equal, FlameField would always come out on top, with a lot of damage due to it's power.

And to Senture (fankoo for the files on your site firstly :)), if you look at Liandrin2's patches, the mob ones, there are so many mobs, and myself and Liandrin2 were talking on MSN, and one would have to remove so many mobs to fit them into a 1.4 client. I would love all the mobs in 1.4, but it isn't possible. I guess that's all I agree with on moving the files to 1.9. Because of all the mobs and mob magic and stuff.

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
Shard said:
And to Senture (fankoo for the files on your site firstly :)), if you look at Liandrin2's patches, the mob ones, there are so many mobs, and myself and Liandrin2 were talking on MSN, and one would have to remove so many mobs to fit them into a 1.4 client. I would love all the mobs in 1.4, but it isn't possible. I guess that's all I agree with on moving the files to 1.9. Because of all the mobs and mob magic and stuff.
Not a problem. Ledu combats that problem but the insta-run sucks :/. There were a few on Lian's site i haven't seen but the majority of them i have. As for the server, i would be interested. I dont have a preference to 1.4 or 1.9.

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
Shard said:
Please make 1000 points as to why 1.9 would be better for this FrOzEn server that was made famous using the 1.4 files. The whole feeling of the server would change. It would not be the same at all. It's not the features I care about; it's the feeling of the server altogether.

FlameField with 250MC would do a lot of damage. FlameField with say, 88MC on EuroMir, does a hell of a lot of damage even against a warrior with say, 50AMC. Even if the figures are equal, FlameField would always come out on top, with a lot of damage due to it's power.

1000 points would take me too long, not worth wasting the time..

But if making it 1.9 would spoil the whole feel of it, why has Leo even put a 1.9 option into the poll?

Obviously the owner has some konwledge and know that its possible to be put into 1.9 or it wouldnt even be put into the poll itself.

/Tofas

-Go try 250amc and 250mc and see if u still get hit with flamefield..

If you do it'll still be a very little amount.

Shard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 12, 2003
It is possible to put into 1.9. I never said it wasn't. But I feel it'd spoil the feel of it. Obviously LeoCrasher doesn't feel the same but she asked for people's explanations as to why they voted for whatever option they voted for. And my explanation was that I feel converting the server to 1.9 would spoil the feel for it.

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
Shard said:
It is possible to put into 1.9. I never said it wasn't. But I feel it'd spoil the feel of it. Obviously LeoCrasher doesn't feel the same but she asked for people's explanations as to why they voted for whatever option they voted for. And my explanation was that I feel converting the server to 1.9 would spoil the feel for it.

ok then i'll bow befor you and respect your decision.

/Tofas

Shard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 12, 2003
Tofas said:
ok then i'll bow befor you and respect your decision.

/Tofas

Amen to that. Cheers babe.

EDIT: Was just wondering when a decision will be made? Will it be when the poll ends or when you feel that an adequate number of users have voted, enough to accommodate the views of the future community of the server?

Last edited:

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
Wowsa, didn't expect such a level of response. I'll respond to people in order of the posts made. Apoligies for any repeition.

@Hazuki
Although I have very limited experiance of playing my own server from a solely player perspective, I along with a few 'hardcore' groups believe that the FrOzEn feel cannot be accurately emigrated to 1.9.

@Zildo/Farril
My plan is to make an actual server. File releases would only occur after the server itself was done with.

@chippy
I don't think stats are what gave FrOzEn its feel. Afterall frozens stats were actually balanaced, I made sure of that. Apart from the bias against Tao's of course :/. As for not having 1.4 - I'd supply approapriate means of distribution.

@Shard
I didn't play UF all that much, and only made sparse GM appearences. Guess I'll have to unload the files to remember what it was like heh :/

@Pebble/DayWalker/Soul
^^ exactly

@Beard
I think the pk issue is about working with limits, as opposed to working without them - greater challange.

As for the level count - I'm sure other authorised FrOzEn incarnations by ash1234 have extended the level limit on a 1.4 base.

I just think that 1.9 wholly loses the whole sense and feel of a quick reactive server. Its more to do with the client than the actual serverfiles.

@Killmaster
I'd love to hear your ideas - when I progress to project I'll ensure an discussion takes place over desired features.

@Faril
Yee understand son

@Zildo
Have you played ash1234's frozen? - That was pretty good :)

@Tofas
From what I've seen of 1.9 server playercounts (bareing in mind this is something I see a lot), is that they tend to drop after the first 1/2 months - and rather steeply at that. Community is what made FrOzEn the pk pitt it was. I think a sustained usercount of under 20(peak) would damage that.

@Shard
Fancy a consultancy position ^^? - Meanwhile I'd like to know your opinion on why AF is doing better in the poll than UF with regards to the things you mention.

@Tofas
Regardless of the players available and version of server files - I'm confident in my ability to leech players from across the spectrum. I've no preference between 1.4/DM2 as long as I can get the hang of the latter relatively quickly. Alhtough I have to admit I'm rather aprehensive over the leadership of the project.

@Shard
Item images contribute little over peoples feelings in a server. However weapons width and size does. Strange I know. As for the M2 - I could do it but can you honestly see me doing coding and server management at the same time lol. Totally agree with you with regards to the sturdy pvp feeling though. Anyone that disagrees has never PvP'd properly heh.

As for spells - if you remember the early alphas they didn't have things as rudamentary as icestorm till at least three weeks after server launch - didn't seem to affect anything. I'm open to new spells but they'll be tested first. All stats have counterstats :). Not that I can talk of course - I'm pretty sure I gave warriors fireball.

Unfortunately the old skoolers probzo have moved on. Therefore to recruit the playercount nessacery your going to have to live with the younger... pk fodder.

@Killmaster/Pebble/Farril
They're referring to the 'feel' the original FrOzEn had - not too dissimilar to the very first few WhIpLaSh servers. Apparently its since not been duplicated effectively.

@Tofas
Agreed :) - new spells can add to the game as long as they're implemented correctly. What should also be considered is whether new spells deviate TOO FAR from the original FrOzEn feel - and if that should mean their removal?

@Senture
FrOzEn alpha+beta didn't utilise all the shape space - but they did fine.

@Slanesh
Oh don't worry - I'll add more controversial funnities than just Iraqi's, a dictator and misspelt Al-Qaeda this time around.

@Shard
I could make around 50 - but I could counter them with 70 more. What I think is the most important thing to do in the first stage is find what gave the community the feel it had.

As I've said already to Senture - FrOzEn doesn't need to have the latest and greatest with a full graphics and feature set. They didn't make it popular the first time around. So filling capacity shouldn't be a worry.

@Senture/HS
Glad to have a player :D

@Tofas
My poll is designed to give me an initial feel of what people wanted. I could have found that people hated the servers feel and wanted insta-run for example.

@Shard
Leo does feel the same - but Id rather design a server people want to play than something I want to play. (Even tho FA was designed for that very reason in the dust of Missys Whippy and Charmed).

This poll was just my antlers getting to know what the concensus was. From what I've got so far theres no real reason I shouldn't progress ahead with something that sits between AF and UF based on 1.4 with a newer m2server for a few later 1.9 like extensions.

The 1.4 options seem a lot more popular in the poll when added together. Although it is a great shame some of the people who have voted haven't informed me of their reasoning behind their decision which might lead to a skewed outcome. Hopefully later feedback will cater for that.

I've a few projects to complete in the next couple of weeks for Scorp, Gilga, the serverlist and playerstatsiggy - but after that its almost a practical certainty that FrOzEn will get a forth version :) - I just hope to god I can live upto the expectations laid down for me heh :/.

@All
Appreciate the feedback so far - by all means please keep it coming for a few more days. It all helps. ^^

/Leo

Perebble

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Apr 11, 2006
www.atomicide.com
Atm, I'd vote 1.4, but I'm not sure which one. I only played FrOzEn for a couple days then it went down (I think).

That's not IF

Are the FrOzEn (Alpha 1.89) files the ones that were released?

Are the UnFrOzEn (v3) files the ones ash1234 hosted?

Last edited:

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
@Razor
What is it specifically about 1.9 that makes you want the server to be based on it? Remember FrOzEn isn't a new server and has to stick to its roots.

@Pebble
AF was done primarily by me, with some additions from Angelus and Devina.
BF was done almost entirely by SilentDragz
UF was done almost entirely by Dreamer/SoulSeeker/Stormy

Ash's versions are a lot more recent - as in the past 6 months recent.

/Leo

Liandrin2

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 14, 2004
That was one hell of a post Leo, A* for effort :P

I think the major concern is the client used. Whatever happens don't use ledu, perhaps if the Diamond client comes along that would be perfect...

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
Yes most servers do have a steep drop as the expectations are not met and the owner just stops working on them and believes leaving it like that is fine.

But if you look at Project 69 and Ragezone which both started as 1.4 i believe and progressed further to a 1.9 and havnt lost large amounts of users because of this, but also attracted new players in the making, as far as i believe the suer counts would of fell dramaticly if they kept with the 1.4, as all the different things added do create the cumminity whats there. i believe they'v done greatly well what ever many people on here may think of each server.

Project 69's user count is around 100 for example, which would create a far better pvp system than the;

10 old school people, and the 10-20 or so other 'hard' people who have just come to fight the old school to show that their 'even harder' then they set out to be in retrospect.

I do know what your saying with 1.9 not having the perfect feel about it, thats what iv always thought myself up untill recently where i believe change is needed and that 1.9 is the future.

Yes its always nice to have a 1.4 for a laugh and a little mess around on and maybe play on it for a little while, but you'll soon get bored with whats there to offer in those files.

Believe me when i say this;

I think you'll have good large user counts to start with but then end up falling to the old skool players which will only pop on from time to time because of responsibilities they have addapted to since the first unfrozen files.

Good-luck and i do wish that it goes well for you Leo as your one of the few people on lomcn i highly respect (most of the time anyway) but i really do believe 1.4 will be a flop for you :(

-Do remmeber the bigger servers who do have nice high server counts are mainly made up from the people who EXPECT all the 'new' features and whats to offer with the current files, not many people would play a server which had everything added as possible to go to a old 1.4 server with only what 1.4 had to offer

/Tofas

Last edited:

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
I vote FrOzEn (alpha), i like'd unfrozen alot, but i feel alphafrozen could get more players, because its like the "begining", if that makes sense. Also, i put a few FrOzEn Servers online, as you may remember :P They never worked out though because i never had the time back then to update the server, and i could never find a trustworthy player who knows frozen files inside out to help me with updates -_-

Bring FrOzEn back as 1.4 for now, and maybe upgrade to 1.9 in the future?? :)

EDIT:

"As for the level count - I'm sure other authorised FrOzEn incarnations by ash1234 have extended the level limit on a 1.4 base."

Yep Leo, i did do so :) It was pretty hard for me as a solo team member to keep up-to-date with the requests for new kits and areas though seens as people were reaching 60+ in a week or so i think oO.. :(

So i would reccomend you put a team together (obviously including yourself :P ) to help you out, so you are not strugling at demands of others.

"Are the FrOzEn (Alpha 1.89) files the ones that were released?

Are the UnFrOzEn (v3) files the ones ash1234 hosted?"

@Perebble:
I hosted the FrOzEn (alpha) ones which were released. I just updated them as much as i could when i had the time. UnFrOzEn was the last server which leo had put up, with the "ice" like HomeZone if anyone remembers :P

Last edited:

Damian

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Ravagers
Game Master
Jun 13, 2003
With the Client I released you will be able to PK the same as 1.4, altho you will need to edit the 1.9 server to disable all the humrun, gmrun etc...

Anyway i think AlphaFrozen should come back, thats the one my bro used to play a lot.

Silversnake

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 24, 2006
LeoCrasher said:
The problem I have with 1.9 is that I'm told by numerous 'pro pkers' that its horrid for PvP. Now FrOzEn being a quite known for its PvP, would have to be run on a platform which allows for the best pvp experiance.

/Leo

1.9 is **** for pvp :) /rocky /thedon end of.