C++ / SDL anyone?

smoochy boys on tour

Omnibus

Banned
Banned
Dec 9, 2021
As per the above, does anyone have any experience in SDL or C++?

Just for some spare time stuff to learn as I'm being encouraged by my boss to look at Development stuff for a future position. I'm very interested and already been reading about C++ and done some coding of SDL in my own time for games which I'm still learning about.

IHaveALongName

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Sep 8, 2012
Qatar
That will do for my request.

Thank you for sharing.
Your welcome, happy to help
and since this is brought up, theres a couple of videos in that channel that are useful too

- C# in 100 Seconds​

- [C] vs [C++] vs [C#]​

- Java in 100 Seconds​

- Python in 100 Seconds​

100 seconds that saves you a 100 hours.

1PKRyan

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Nov 9, 2007
No
A quick google search found this book called 'SDL Game Development', it was published in 2013 so fairly old but it should help you get started with SDL.

Bare in mind its for SDL 2.0 so some things could of changed if you use a newer SDL version, so check the documentation.

• Love
Reactions: Omnibus

Omnibus

Banned
Banned
Dec 9, 2021
A quick google search found this book called 'SDL Game Development', it was published in 2013 so fairly old but it should help you get started with SDL.

Bare in mind its for SDL 2.0 so some things could of changed if you use a newer SDL version, so check the documentation.
Probably available on Amazon like a lot of other tech books.

I'll read :)

Reactions: 1PKRyan

1PKRyan

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Nov 9, 2007
No
Probably available on Amazon like a lot of other tech books.

I'll read :)

Seems expensive considering the age though lol...

Yeah, actual physical copies are better than online .pdf's in my opinion.

Reactions: zedina

Damian

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Ravagers
Game Master
Jun 13, 2003
C++ is a completely different beast to SDL. Take some time, probably months to get a grasp on learning c++ and it's STL and then take a look at SDL, I would recommend looking into RayLib also, similar to sdl2 both friendly to beginners.

Reactions: IHaveALongName

Omnibus

Banned
Banned
Dec 9, 2021
C++ is a completely different beast to SDL. Take some time, probably months to get a grasp on learning c++ and it's STL and then take a look at SDL, I would recommend looking into RayLib also, similar to sdl2 both friendly to beginners.
Look up Wolf4SDL. That's what I'm looking at and the files can be cpp meaning C++.