Ruby Can't open SQL

Join Discord

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
My SQL server is running but all of a sudden (meaning I haven't opened it in a couple of months) when I try opening Server Management it says "The application cannot start."

The only thing I can think of is that I must've disabled some kind of service it requires to run? Any ideas?

Janedoe

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Dec 1, 2011
In order to ensure a proper SQLServer access to the database server instance's databases, the following actions are needed.
Steps:

1. Verify that the SQLServer's Database instance service has started. This is managed in the database server's "Administrative Tools", in "Services", where the service name usually goes by "SQL Server (instance_name)". Notice instance_name refers to the name of your database instance.
2. Open a command prompt window.
3. At the commando prompt, type the following command:
osql -U sa
4. Press ENTER. You should be prompted for a password.
5. Type your "sa" account password and press ENTER. If the following line appears, then your password is correct and you will be connected to you database engine.
1>
6. Type the following command:
SELECT name FROM sysdatabases
7. Press ENTER. Type the following command:
go
8. Press ENTER. A list with the current instance's available databases should appear.
The database specified in BizAgi's configuration should be there.
9. Check your BizAgi's configuration to make sure it matches with the database information you have just verified.

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Reactions: Tai
Upvote 0

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
In order to ensure a proper SQLServer access to the database server instance's databases, the following actions are needed.
Steps:

1. Verify that the SQLServer's Database instance service has started. This is managed in the database server's "Administrative Tools", in "Services", where the service name usually goes by "SQL Server (instance_name)". Notice instance_name refers to the name of your database instance.
2. Open a command prompt window.
3. At the commando prompt, type the following command:
osql -U sa
4. Press ENTER. You should be prompted for a password.
5. Type your "sa" account password and press ENTER. If the following line appears, then your password is correct and you will be connected to you database engine.
1>
6. Type the following command:
SELECT name FROM sysdatabases
7. Press ENTER. Type the following command:
go
8. Press ENTER. A list with the current instance's available databases should appear.
The database specified in BizAgi's configuration should be there.
9. Check your BizAgi's configuration to make sure it matches with the database information you have just verified.

---------- Post added at 06:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:59 PM ----------

Thanks for that. I get to the password prompt bit but nothing appears when I type. I tried typing in my password anyway and pressing enter but then it basically says 'could not connect' which I assume is because it's not letting my enter my password properly.

try reinstalling it ?
or registry problem ?

I'd rather not have to reinstall...there should always be a fix.

Upvote 0

wock

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 4, 2009
user permissions or domain group policy restrictions.
you looked at these 2 ?

Upvote 0

Shank

The_Mafia
VIP
Dec 4, 2008
I'd suggest re-installing it and see how you get on, never had this problem before :l

Upvote 0