Caverns of Shadow

smoochy boys on tour

MrSam

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 31, 2005
This is just a summary of a raid zone I might or might not bother to design/make. :)

Hopefully you'll see what I mean by raid zone reading the post.

The place is called Caverns of Shadow, it's accessible through a clickable portal (maybe a node) deep in one of the undead places.

It's a 12 man raid zone, designed for the server's top level. (You may have to be top level to even enter it.) Any one person can only go here once every few days. (So guilds can do twice-weekly raids here).

The zone is an instance, which means that when your 12-man group is in there, all the 5 or 6 bosses (and all the trash mobs) will be up, and there will be nobody but your 12 man team inside.

There are no potions usable in this zone. (Also no teleports, no recall, etc.) This makes it very tough.

People get +1200% mana regen stones to use instead.

All drops in this zone are usable only by the person who won them... Just assume I have this figured out for now. :). This means there are a few more rares than there otherwise would be, but you must raid for them YOURSELF. You cannot buy them.

Items in this zone drop only for the following slots: stone, shoes, belt, helmet. (Maybe some special spells.)

This means that you've got a lot of slots to play with for raid-gear, but you don't ruin the economy of jewelry, weapons, etc. The big 'traded' items.

Clearing to the bosses is hard work, and requires skill and attention. It's quite easy to all die on the normal mobs.

These are only one or two at once generally, but they're hard - and you have no pots. Try and power through this and no matter what team you take, you will die.

It takes a skilled team approx 30 mins to clear between each boss.

Once you kill the normal mobs, they will not respawn for about 3 hours (with respawns this would be entirely entirely impossible). Bosses don't respawn, only one set per instance.

The first floor:

- This is the easiest floor (obviously). The trash mobs are easier, and so are the bosses. There are two bosses on this floor. (Plus some random mini bosses which have a small chance to drop stuff.)

One of these bosses can be avoided, but the harder of the two is required before you can move up to the second floor. All bosses are designed to be challenging in different ways.

Second Floor:
- This is quite a lot tougher. Even a skilled team would probably be best advised to wait until they have certain items from the first floor before trying to take some of the bosses here. There are three bosses here + minis.

Third Floor:
- Quite a lot of this is given up to a single event (it's not a boss as such). You need to clear a lot of the floor and kill a mini-boss to trigger the event, which is tough and lasts 20 mins or so. It involves a massive fight with skeletons running in from all sides, with some extra tactics (eg. spawning/controlling some NPC defenders for your own side.)

This isn't *harder* than the other bosses. Some second floor bosses perhaps take more tries to get right. But there's a lot of ways this can go badly - and the important thing is that, unlike the other bosess, you only get one shot at this. You can keep coming back/using the rez nodes to try bosses again, but you only get ONE shot at this per instance.

The Kings Room

- There is a major boss to this zone. But it's almost impossible. To beat this you need a perfect group with certain types of gear and a very good strategy. There is *NO WAY* which this could be beaten in the first month of this zone being on a server - because you really need to do this zone a few times to simply get the gear (and that's assuming you have a nice non-raid equip!)

Please remember, that there are more ways to get gear than just MC/DC/SC.

If you were going all DC etc. you could get quite a high figure (some of the raid gear has very nice stats...) but if you go pure DC, you will be useless! You need a good mix of gear.

In this place, healers are absolutely essential. You need good taoists. For wizards and taos, mana and mana regen are very important - and to do well here mana will probably be at LEAST as important as MC/SC.

There are also things like +accuracy, which may be required to *hit* a specific boss.

- DC.
- SC.
- MC.
- Attack speed.
- AC.
- P. Evasion.
- AMC.
- M. Evasion.
- +Acc. (This is required for some bosses.)
- +HP.
- +Mana.
- +Mana Regen.

JadeFox

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 27, 2005
By the sounds of it. Your takening things from World of Warcraft. It sounds good thou.
/JadeFox

MrSam

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 31, 2005
daniejam said:
how do u make items work only in 1 specific area though?

The idea isn't to make items usable only in one specific area. It's to make them usable only by people who earned them.

As for how... This is really quite simple, sure u guys can work it out. :D lol.

The items only go in certain slots so that you've still got the incentive to hunt rare bosses for slayers etc, etc. It's only the 'crap' slots that get most of the gear. - So you still have loads of traditionally got items, but also room for raid gear.

NewHope

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 18, 2005
I'd allow pots, or at least everytime you click the node your bag is cleared and anything in it replaced by TT/Set amount of pots... i mean 12 floors is going to be alot of mobs for no pots, plus a boss. I know the idea your going for but that would be near impossible, unless they just wait 30minutes for a tao to psn kill lol.
Would each floor be a different map, because it would be good if it went through the levels of mir with all mobs/caves etc... Like OmaCave - with same most just more powerful, then Mines, WT, ZT etc... but all new maps.

If you ever think about doing more than just talking about this idea, i'd be more than happy to help out with maps. :D

MrSam

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 31, 2005
No pots - I really think this is the way to go.

The reason being is that you then have to get different tactics and gear - tactics to save mana etc, and gear to regen it faster. It also means that you can have challenging mobs one by one. You could not get the same experience with pots.

This is intended to be incredibly tough. It's not intended to be played like other Mir zones at all.

Instead of giving people pots, they will be given insane amounts of +mana regen. I'm talking about +1200%. (To be honest, if I was making a server I would lower the amount of mana required by ALL spells, and simply require the amount given by potions too.)

This is intended as a first stab at bringing 'endgame' to Mir.

daniejam

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 4, 2004
btw dont regen + items mean that ure regen faster wen u use a pot not wen u normal regen?

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
daniejam said:
btw dont regen + items mean that ure regen faster wen u use a pot not wen u normal regen?
Hes right.