Computer for £350?

Join Discord

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
I agree on AMD for price, alough you cant look past Intel on performance.

I moved from socket 939 x2 4200+ @ 3.1Ghz over to Intel Core2Duo cause AMD just cant keep with anymore, any move to intel over AMD these days is worth it, look at the AMD x6 they cant even keep with the Intels lower Quad range, forgetting that cause its not really a selling point on this.

If you want a PC to get you by the next year or 2, AMD systems are perfectly fine, slightly cheaper to build, slightly lower in performance but by no means not worth it, AMD systems are solid, also up untill lately ran RAM a lot better than Intel systems due to the onboard memory controller which intel now adopted. Regardless a good money saving soloution.

Intel on the other hand by going i3 your proofed for another year ontop of AMD i would say, Dual cores are only gonna last so long now we are moving onto HEX core and such, but with the i3 you will have 2 solid cores and 2 synthetic cores if you like to put it that way, not sure how effective that is in the i3 but ive read that the base i3 chips are on par or slightly slower than the E8400/E8500 but are a lot better multi tasking and such, personally ive never needed more than a dual core yet so i havent bothered to keep one, used a Q6600 @ 3.6 Ghz for 6months, sold it and swapped out for my E8400 @ 4Ghz. Q6600 gave better scores in benchmarks but in the the real world i got an extra 10frames from the faster clock+overclock setup with my E8400 and not a drop in normal performance.

You gotta remember the chip is just the base, you need a good motherboard, decent ram and a good GFX card, GFX is vital really, you have a good enough chip to run the power out the GFX your onto a winner. I have a friend still using a socket AM2 Athlon x2 6000+with a ATI 4870x2 2GB and 4Gb Corsair Dominator and it plays everything you throw at still today at ultra settings without a glitch simply because his GFX is powerfull enough and the CPU still has enough power to give it what it needs to play smooth, so anything you build on the newer AMD/Intel platforms with a more up to date card with newer DDR3 ram should in fact run pretty much anything you want it to.

Going onto GFX, your choices out there just now are vast, you have chosen well tho, the newer nvidia range packs a lot for the price, the GTX460 is mainly on par in most benchmarks with my 4890 and is comparible to a 5830(£130+), which my card also beats in most benchmarks minus the lower power consumption and heat(if that bothers you) and only beat by a 5850(£160+) but the 5770 cant touch it and the 4870 isnt worth looking at anymore. If on the other hand you want to throw a little more into it, you cant look past the new ATI range with the 6850/6870 the 6850 is a slightly more and on par with the 460 but for around £170 you could have the 6870, it wipes the floor with the 460/465 and gives you some headroom.

So the GTX460 should be able to play pretty much all games at max settings on that i3 setup, so i would deffo go with that, its pretty much the best your gonna get for your money at the moment.

Tashohnie

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 13, 2009
a £200 gcard will do same as a £500 at present due to all games being console ports. the only time you really need a better gcard is if your looking to run multiple instances of games like i run 5-10 world of warcrafts so i had to upgrade my card
I disagree, I run at higher FPS than those with a £200 gcard with everything on max/ultra/config hacks for more ultra and also notice considerably less FPS drops than people with a £200 gcard, while bang for buck the performance increase for £300 may not be worth it, it is still a performance increase. Not all games are console ports, most MMOs, Crysis and some other games.

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
Ye i totaly agree, the increase in performance may not be worth the extra money in your view but it is still an increase in performance none the less.

Best bang for buck out there seems to be either a 1Gb GTX 460 or the 1GB 6870 in todays mid range market, also you gotta remember a later SLI/XFire setup, scaling or cards these days have more than doubled to previous generation cards so that is a more well worth soloution to upgrade a little later down the line, just gotta make sure you got the power to run the 2 cards and got enough CPU power to push the 2 cards.

I went from 2x 4850 512mb cards to a single 4890, overall i have about the exact same performance top end, now what does improve is the drop in frames... whenever they take a small dip it holds a lot higher FPS than the old 2x4850 setup, these days your getting like 70% scaling of both cards where are before you were getting around 20% i would say.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Can't look past Intel on performance? Balls, the only thing you can't look past Intel for is screwing up their bloody chipsets.

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
i dunno what you mean in slow downs , not once have i seen my pc lag on good graphical games. ( i play everything on high )

only down side to my pc is its a dual core , id go for quad next time.

if u got money to burn , go for it.

my point is and the point of the thread is ,he's wanting a budget pc.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
only down side to my pc is its a dual core , id go for quad next time.
Hex*

Tbh, if you're after a "budget" pc and you can't find a good one for your price, I'd suggest saving up. I always find that just buying a low-ish spec PC that just about plays your games will just be outdated too quickly. Probably best off getting a good spec, then you won't need to upgrade for a while (years).

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
Hex*

Tbh, if you're after a "budget" pc and you can't find a good one for your price, I'd suggest saving up. I always find that just buying a low-ish spec PC that just about plays your games will just be outdated too quickly. Probably best off getting a good spec, then you won't need to upgrade for a while (years).

lol mine dont lag on games , l2read.

i stated quad core because i cant bot games and play good ones without lil spikes now and again.

plays a game fine.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
... l2read? Really? Kettle, you're black.

I wasn't aiming that part at you, it was aimed at the OP...

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
... l2read? Really? Kettle, you're black.

I wasn't aiming that part at you, it was aimed at the OP...

well ill say sorry but to be fair , you've always got a sarcastic comment about me :)

peace jealo :P

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
The Hex* was my comment to you, as instead of going for a quad "next time" - go for a hex ;)

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
ya might aswell , next time i get a new pc it will be a totaly new build which is lame.

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
cause it cost money lol.

iam happy with my pc lol , dont play anything nemore that will even stress it.

so hopefuly be a while yet :P

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
You mean you have never had a drop in FPS in games when they area opens up and there is a lot more going on? You still run at the exact same frames?

That is my point im putting across, all pc's do it.. watch your FPS as you play you will see what i mean.

The PC's i posted will do fine thats all im saying, also never had a problem with intel at all... overclock better Mhz for Mhz are faster overall, i cant complain.