Computer Still Slow

Geordiehc

Mad Dog Geo
VIP
Jul 4, 2007
Redditch, UK
So i upgraded the RAM (from 1gb to 2gb) and the computer is still slow.
The CPU is not running at 100% ever from what I can see, the graphics card even though is higher spec than mine runs games like LoL very slowly, any ideas what the problem can be?

I was so hoping it was the RAM as its obviously the easiest cheapest fix but nope.

Also the volume doesnt appear in the taskbar when the computer boots which says to me somethingfs definately up.

Shabalabalong

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 1, 2006
Brighton
CPU heatsink? I recently replaced mine as I broke it spilling water on it ._. Made my computer slow as **** and always 100% in the taskbar. Then again that might be an isolated incident :P

See what your temperatures are using core temp. My temperatures were idle 98c which is crazy, now it's 25c idle which is cool. Pun fully intended.

Kani

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 8, 2007
Virus, clogged up with junk, worn down, overheating, broken HDD, processor could be fked, loads of things can slow a pc lol

Azura

Mir3 Coder & Adviser
Mar 12, 2005
Maybe you have an old CPU? Tried upgrading the CPU?

All do a root virus scan.

lifco

Untrusted Member
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 6, 2004
UK/Italy
I dont know your system or what you have installed, program wise so i would do what Jealy said

Then after you have a clean setup (new windows) do the following

Clean the pc cpu/fans - heat can slow a pc down loads

Install coretemp

Then do a prime95 test

Hopefully system is running now and once you have all your programs installed again msconfig/startup and unchech all the un needed stuff

Geordiehc

Mad Dog Geo
VIP
Jul 4, 2007
Redditch, UK
As i say the CPU never peaks so surely that rules out any overheating etc doesnt it or does it not?
I checked the temp before i bought RAM and there all 20-30's which is fine.
As for reformatting etc, the computer has been slow since day 1 and when we got it it was about 3 months old and as i say its specs are alot better than my comps so none of that is an issue.

Basically narrowed it down to CPU or HDD, i didnt realise a fualty HDD could make it run slow

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
it was 3 months old when u bought it? perhaps thats why it was being sold? what make is it etc? or maybe its full of crap from the first 3 months so format anyway

lifco

Untrusted Member
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 6, 2004
UK/Italy
You say its running slow Geo, what results does prime95 give you ?

If possible download the small cpuid app and post/screenshot results

So we can see your true pc spec

You said in the post afew up from this, your temp is 20-30s...i take this as idle temp ?

If so this is fine, as most pcs run at 25'C idle

But what temp does it goto running prime95 ?

Its hard to say what it is without all the info

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
i didnt realise a fualty HDD could make it run slow

picard-facepalm-hotlink.jpg

As for reformatting etc, the computer has been slow since day 1 and when we got it it was about 3 months old and as i say its specs are alot better than my comps so none of that is an issue.

You should have reinstalled Windows before even buying the new RAM, this will tell you if it's a hardware issue or if it's just full of malware.

Last edited:

Geordiehc

Mad Dog Geo
VIP
Jul 4, 2007
Redditch, UK
You should have reinstalled Windows before even buying the new RAM, this will tell you if it's a hardware issue or if it's just full of malware.

As i said i reformatted after getting it, it was on vista so i took it off and put XP on. So totally clean it ran slow therefore i knew this wasnt the problem.

Iv got CPUID on it already which tab do u want

basics are

AMD Athlon 64 x2 4000+
2048 memory
GEFORCE 6150 SE onboard

not sure what prime95 is so il have a look now

---------- Post added at 12:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:52 AM ----------

downloaded it and still dont have a clue can sum1 tell me what to do please

Kani

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
May 8, 2007
Because he wants to play games on it? I think I cba to read up again lol