Cpu 100%

Join Discord

Xanan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 5, 2006
My ladies laptop is having issues.

CPU is always at 100%, and just opening an application is laggy as fook.
I've had a look about for a starting point, but was wondering if anyone else could offer any input.
She hardly has any programmes installed, especially compared to the usual **** most LOMCN guys would have.

Any help is appreciated. Ta.
/Gand

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
Ctrl-Shift-Esc (task manager)

look at the processes tab
look for high cpu (sort by cpu)

tell us which programs are using the most cpu.
screenshot if possible.

Tomz

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 8, 2005
If it is latest laptop then vista is a most certain... that will be ur main problem... laptops not made for vista ideally...

Would do what spence said.. Wipe it and i suggest putting XP on it.. then u will have a quicker running laptop :).. plus less issues..

Xanan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 5, 2006
Its Xp, its an older laptop. She doesnt know alot about comps etc, and for that reason doesnt have alot installed on it, IE/FF/Office (and that's what i meant by the not alot installed compared to LOMCN users - cheers Shab, spot on, i dont see the point in your post G0trex - wasn't an insult or flame).

Anyways the weird thing is, i looked at it, got rid of a couple of tiny programmes/app's she doesnt use, it still lagged. But a day later it worked fine. But if it starts up again (possibility) i'll come back to this thread, cheers guys.

(And if poss i'd rather not reformat it, as i know nothign about doing all this, and i know for a fact she wont have any of the software to reinstall.)

Ta again.
/Gand

(And it's not Harry, it's his brother)

MadeInEngland

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 21, 2004
Reading
Its Xp, its an older laptop. She doesnt know alot about comps etc, and for that reason doesnt have alot installed on it, IE/FF/Office (and that's what i meant by the not alot installed compared to LOMCN users - cheers Shab, spot on, i dont see the point in your post G0trex - wasn't an insult or flame).

Anyways the weird thing is, i looked at it, got rid of a couple of tiny programmes/app's she doesnt use, it still lagged. But a day later it worked fine. But if it starts up again (possibility) i'll come back to this thread, cheers guys.

(And if poss i'd rather not reformat it, as i know nothign about doing all this, and i know for a fact she wont have any of the software to reinstall.)

Ta again.
/Gand

(And it's not Harry, it's his brother)

i get this with my comp at the moment. somtimes its ok somtimes its not. the things i find my my comp slow are 2 things that just say "scanning" i keep switching it on and off till it works...

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
If it is latest laptop then vista is a most certain... that will be ur main problem... laptops not made for vista ideally...

Would do what spence said.. Wipe it and i suggest putting XP on it.. then u will have a quicker running laptop :).. plus less issues..

a little irrelevant now, but thought id just point out that if a laptop comes with vista, its meant for vista. and downgrading it to xp is probably a bad idea as all the drivers and components will also be for vista.

Tomz

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 8, 2005
a little irrelevant now, but thought id just point out that if a laptop comes with vista, its meant for vista. and downgrading it to xp is probably a bad idea as all the drivers and components will also be for vista.

Components that come with laptop wont matter if they are for vista or not so that is pointless... and downgrading is not always bad.. i have fixed and sorted plenty of laptops that have problems etc etc... where people complain or slowness and problems installing programs... vista is too power hungry... most laptops come with 2gb ram which aint enough in my opinion to run vista... I have ran both vista 32 bit and 64 bit on my computer.. which is quadcore processor,4gbram,750 GB HDD, and it runs slower then xp..

So i dont believe if laptop comes with vista it is fine to run it... obviously only if u know what u doing then reinstall xp over vista... because getting drivers and finding out name of ur mobo and everything to get the driver for xp...

mapadale

Components that come with laptop wont matter if they are for vista or not so that is pointless... and downgrading is not always bad.. i have fixed and sorted plenty of laptops that have problems etc etc... where people complain or slowness and problems installing programs... vista is too power hungry... most laptops come with 2gb ram which aint enough in my opinion to run vista... I have ran both vista 32 bit and 64 bit on my computer.. which is quadcore processor,4gbram,750 GB HDD, and it runs slower then xp..

So i dont believe if laptop comes with vista it is fine to run it... obviously only if u know what u doing then reinstall xp over vista... because getting drivers and finding out name of ur mobo and everything to get the driver for xp...
Sorry hate to burst your bubble there, but your wrong.

Vista Basic - Runs on 512mb of memory and has no problems when running on 1GB+

Vista Home Premium - Also runs on 512mb of memory and runs great on 1gb of memory also, what makes it perform slower is having Vista areo running. This is designed with machines that have 1.5gb and above in them, but it is not a relevant part of the OS and can be dissabled. Also with home premium not everything is enabled

Vista ultimate - This runs best on 1gb of memory and higher, it has features enabled as part of the package. But Ulitimate runs far faster on a quad machine if it is properly configured for it.

Server 2008 aka Longhorn - This is the server edition of Vista and runs perfectly fine on a machine with dual core and above with 2gb memory.

All hardware that is sold with vista machine's is configured to vista and nothing else, but there is no problem in downgrading it to XP as the drivers are also available for it.

Vista is only power hungry if it's not configured for the job that you intend it for.

Xanan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 5, 2006
A process called KService.exe is using alll the CPU - like 99 it says most of the time.
It a SYSTEM process though, so wouldnt end it untill i found out what it does. Any ideas?

(yeah the problem is back)

/Gand

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
your processes come back everytime you restart lol , its basicaly programs running in background every time you restart the laptop.

and iam not sure what kserverice sorry.

Shank

The_Mafia
VIP
Dec 4, 2008
kservice.exe

What is kservice.exe?

Kontiki KService content delivery system used to distribute movies and other content in online services such as 4oD, KService, BBC iPlayer, etc.
Is kservice.exe safe?

This kservice.exe file and process is safe and should not be considered threat to your computer.

Overall threat: No
Spyware: No
Trojan: No
Virus: No

How do I prevent kservice.exe from loading?

If you do not plan on using the program associated with kservice.exe we suggest instead of disabling the process from starting up that you uninstall the program. Additional information about uninstalling Windows programs can be found on document CH00347. If you wish to disable the kservice.exe process from starting up without uninstalling the program follow the below steps.

1. Click Start, Run, and type "services.msc" (without the quotes) and press enter.
2. In the Services Window locate the process you wish to prevent from loading and double-click the Name.
3. In the Properties Window under Path to executable should contain kservice.exe. If this is the case click the drop down arrow for the Startup type and change from Automatic to Disabled.

Tom27

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 15, 2005
Norwich
My next door neighbour had the exact same problem.
As Kaori said you need to go into you're Task Manager and Disable and un-wanted start-up programmes, ive found that when u disable 3 or more then you're CPU Useage will drop 20% at a time

@Person who skitted Vista

Tbh most people dislike vista, but at the end of the day I think you'll find that it works really fast on laptops as thats what im using at the moment. I prefere laptops with vista more then PC's with XP, always seems to run faster for me.

Vista is also good for people who haven't got a clue about computers (Me in a way), can do things like automatic scans + updates and it protects over 60% more viruses than XP ever will.

Moral of the story is Vista has much better to offer overall
(Except the annoying laggouts on 1.9 servers ><)

Last edited:

mapadale

My next door neighbour had the exact same problem.
*As Kaori said you need to go into you're Task Manager and Disable and un-wanted start-up programmes, ive found that when u disable 3 or more then you're CPU Useage will drop 20% at a time

@Person who skitted Vista

Tbh most people dislike vista, but at the end of the day I think you'll find that it works really fast on laptops as thats what im using at the moment. I prefere laptops with vista more then PC's with XP, always seems to run faster for me.

Vista is also good for people who haven't got a clue about computers (Me in a way), can do things like automatic scans + updates and it protects over 60% more viruses than XP ever will.

Moral of the story is Vista has much better to offer overall
(Except the annoying laggouts on 1.9 servers ><)
*Wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Don't give advise if you don't know what your on about.

You can't disable anything in "Task Manager", you can only end programs/process you can also monitor hardware/network from here also.

-------------------------------------------------

"MSCONFIG" - Type this is "RUN" and disable any unwanted start up programs, these will then end the process on startup - I would sugest before doing this, going through all your process and seeing what is used for what. As disableing one program in "MSCONFIG" could end the process for more than one.

Also double check what you have in services as well as startup and if you are running vista HPrem/Ult try disabaling Aero, as this requires 1.5GB of memory in order to run properly and can hit your CPU upto 100%.

There is a lot of things you can do to sort high CPU usage, but you have to investigate the issue first and not expect people to give you loads of advise on what to do. You need to setup your own machine for the job that you want it to do, so disabaling un-necessary services and startup up programs is a good place to start.

Also use self help sites on getting the machine to run how you want to, if anything ever goes wrong you always have the recovery option.

VISTA SELFHELP 1
VISTA SELFHELP 2

XP SELFHELP 1
XP SELFHELP 2

There is enough information on the web to help you get what you want and to resolve any issue you may have, asking here is a good start. But you have to remember, most here don't have a clue what they are on about and only give advise from there own experience if any.