Data Transfer

Join Discord

D4N0

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 22, 2007
Morning,

So i have been considering being a little bit sly on my night shifts and instead of watching movies after movies i thought maybe i could get away with playing a little Mir, Seeing as im on my own there for 12 hours and very unlikely to get disturbed (maybe have to deal with a phone call or 2) but thats about it.

So i cant run off the corporate network for my internet instead im tethering, Now my question is has anyone actually monitored how much data is transferred during a set period of time on an average evening / night / very early morning?

TIA
Dan

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
I currently tether my laptop when at work, over a month I use 7/8gb depending on usage, playing mir hardly effects it, but I watch some youtube and abit of downloading.

D4N0

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 22, 2007
Im raping my data allowance currently. i use my phone which has about 12gb allowance, then have to buy a few add-ons totaling about £20 more a month for about 20 more gb

Good to know mir is that way. - its always nice to get paid for playing games in work lol!

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
You can download an app for your pc to monitor what you're using when playing. I used one when I was on a dongle several years back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

D4N0

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 22, 2007
Ideally id like to find something that can bypass the tether restriction. - if that makes sense?

Iv got unlimited mobile data but only 12 gb (before add on's) of tether, so when i reach my tether allowance i can still use the mobile data. so something to bypass the block and confuse the phone / network into thinking im using mobile data,

/Dan

D4N0

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 22, 2007
an old thread, and no idea if it actually works. do at your own risk.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/how-to-bypass-carrier-tethering-limits-the-easy-way.198192/

such a c0ck block limiting tethering, seems like only a few carriers do it

im with three at the moment. - its really strange with them, it seems that every time i buy add-ons they increase the add on amount. previously they would only allow me 12 gb per add-on (limited to two) but as of late they are offering 18gb. a work mate said he gets truly unlimited because he has been with them for such a long time.

would be nice to what carriers actually allow truly unlimited. - i think one of the main reasons they introduced it was people were using it as their home broadband. not a bad idea - buy a cheap android. keep it constantly on charge and pay monthly for it, no line rental and no need for set up, cancellation etc.

Edit: thanks for the link - ill check it out. im on i phone ATM but its pretty easy to grab a cheap android about £50, to have as a router and keep up with transfer. nothing worse than lag.

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
what about if you buy a THREE dongle and plug that in to your computer? Is that still classed as tethering?

D4N0

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 22, 2007
what about if you buy a THREE dongle and plug that in to your computer? Is that still classed as tethering?

I do that as well - its a three sim card in a 'huwawi MIFI' but then thats limited to 20GB - and that goes in about 3/4 days. - costs £20 a month

Now i only do about 10 nights every 3/4 weeks but normally i try swap with the boys because i prefer nights. can crack on with the work and mop up the sh*t days couldn't be bothered to do. or the new boys don't have a clue on how to it. but that could change at any time. As an IT contractor my contract could end at any time so i don't exactly want to set up a 12 month plan or something alike if it ends im stuck with it then.

/Dan

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Its a pain but in short if they let people teather unlimited it'd **** your 3G/4G network up. The idea behind teather limit is to limit the traffic going thruogh the network. I had long talk with somebody at Three as i wanted to use my unlimited 4G in our office until we got a landline. it sucks but makes sense, also its ££ they're loosing. Unlimited teathering would make internet costs soar again.

D4N0

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 22, 2007
May just have to boost my signal and find some unprotected network somewhere.
theirs a pub with wifi down the Road lol...

But in all serious i don't blame the networks for limiting but i think there should be price plan to fit different customers / users needs. i was around Cardiff the other week and asked a few networks their limit and most said around the 20gb mark.

shanem82

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Dec 8, 2011
lots of situations can make data usage on mir but most of the time its between 8kb/s to 32kb/s so take an average from that times it by 60 for one hour im guessing

D4N0

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 22, 2007
lots of situations can make data usage on mir but most of the time its between 8kb/s to 32kb/s so take an average from that times it by 60 for one hour im guessing

Lets say we take 32Kb/s... so that's 8 bits to a byte = 4KBs

4KBs = 240kb per minute
240KB(per min) = 14400KB per hour

14400KB = 14.06MB

So yeah looking at 14MB in an hour.. you sure? that's seriously low (0.01gb per hour?)

Surely not, or have i fu***d my mats up?

Last edited:

D4N0

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 22, 2007
Happy days - i got a feeling night shifts will go a little faster ;)