Database - Normalisation

smoochy boys on tour

Stridey123

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Oct 20, 2010
any1 help me out with this? could you normalise this database from 1nf to 2nf and then 3nf?

Property address
numberOfBedrooms
type Code
typeDescription
price
Veiwing date
customerCode
custome Name
customer Address
customer Phone
sales Consultant ID
sales Consultant

Anaconda

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 14, 2010
I've done normalisation (1st normal form, 2nd and 3rd etc), give me abit and i'll type it up for you.

Anaconda

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 14, 2010
"First Normal Form
Remove repeating groups (How many can belong to the Primay Key. If more than one, then create a new entity along with a copy of the primary key)"

"Second Normal Form
Remove part key dependencies (Does the attribute rely on both parts of the composite key -If not,take out but leave a copy for linking N.B. only applies to entities with composite keys)"

"Third Normal Form
Remove attributes dependant on other attributes not part of a key (Do all attributes rely on primary key, if not, take out but leave a copy for linking)"

That should help you, I was going to type it up but I haven't got the time, so thought i'de give you some pointers.

Also, if using excel you cant have spaces between names, use underscores instead of spaces.

Last but not least, you need to know what ur setting as primary keys, foreign keys and composite keys.#

Here is an example of a database normalisation I needed to create based on a college:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

/TheDon

Last edited:

Anaconda

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Nov 14, 2010
No problem, the blue arrows are crows feet and the blue lines show what each attribute belongs to.

Good luck :)

/TheDon