Discharge a laptop battery...

Join Discord

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
well, my laptop has a Li-Ion battery iGo 2000 series/4000 series.
And it hasnt worked for about a year plus now, but i the LED on my laptop says its full charge. And i just got this program which also says that the battery is 100% charge. I have been told that it COULD be possible to fix my battery if i fully discharged it, then charged it backup. However, because it wont power my laptop, i cannot discharge it -_-

Is there any program, or anyway which will allow me to fully discharge the battery??

oo, and also i read that someone hooked up a car light bulb to there "dead" battery over night so it fully dicharged, thencharged it on there laptop and it worked oO?.. But i am not sure how i would hook up a light bulb to my laptop battery hahah -_-

cheers in advanced,

EDIT: Well, i just downloaded and installed yet another battery monitering program, and this program said it cannot find my battery :eek: So maybe my laptop cannot find my battery, and it doesnt know thre is one inserted. How can i get the laptop to find the battery?

Nefore it went like this though, the chrage was slowly going down, at first , 100% lasted like 3+ hours, it then eventually went down to 100% lasting just 3 mins!. Also i havnt got the original systems files on my lappy, because i lost my disc.So i just borrowed a mates windows install disc, installed that, then i downloaded some drivers i needed (display,sound etc) and installed them... SO maybe there are drivers i need for my laptop or something?? i dno -_-

thanks agin! :P

Last edited:

TheBoss

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 6, 2004
Middlesbrough
ash1234 said:
well, my laptop has a Li-Ion battery iGo 2000 series/4000 series.
And it hasnt worked for about a year plus now, but i the LED on my laptop says its full charge. And i just got this program which also says that the battery is 100% charge. I have been told that it COULD be possible to fix my battery if i fully discharged it, then charged it backup. However, because it wont power my laptop, i cannot discharge it -_-

Is there any program, or anyway which will allow me to fully discharge the battery??

oo, and also i read that someone hooked up a car light bulb to there "dead" battery over night so it fully dicharged, thencharged it on there laptop and it worked oO?.. But i am not sure how i would hook up a light bulb to my laptop battery hahah -_-

cheers in advanced,

EDIT: Well, i just downloaded and installed yet another battery monitering program, and this program said it cannot find my battery :eek: So maybe my laptop cannot find my battery, and it doesnt know thre is one inserted. How can i get the laptop to find the battery?

Nefore it went like this though, the chrage was slowly going down, at first , 100% lasted like 3+ hours, it then eventually went down to 100% lasting just 3 mins!. Also i havnt got the original systems files on my lappy, because i lost my disc.So i just borrowed a mates windows install disc, installed that, then i downloaded some drivers i needed (display,sound etc) and installed them... SO maybe there are drivers i need for my laptop or something?? i dno -_-

thanks agin! :P

GET ya self sum wires n sum wire cutters :P n starting cuttin :D,

erm dunno bout this just a guess... but is ther 2 silver metal things on the bottom of the battery? try puttin 2 wires on that then 2 wirtes on the bulb ? lol ? :S

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
na, thers like 4-6 pins on the lappy (where the battery connects), and thers wholes in the battery for these pins, with metal contacts in them (i think).. i am not sure what "terminals" is what, so i duno which wire would go in which pin/connecter lol -_-

I wish to try test the battery, because i duno if its the battery needing to be discharged now, or its dead... or my laptop cant find it. I knew i should have borrowed my uncles lappy battery before he sold it! he had the same lappy as me lol -_-

TheBoss

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 6, 2004
Middlesbrough
ash1234 said:
na, thers like 4-6 pins on the lappy (where the battery connects), and thers wholes in the battery for these pins, with metal contacts in them (i think).. i am not sure what "terminals" is what, so i duno which wire would go in which pin/connecter lol -_-

I wish to try test the battery, because i duno if its the battery needing to be discharged now, or its dead... or my laptop cant find it. I knew i should have borrowed my uncles lappy battery before he sold it! he had the same lappy as me lol -_-

>< a dunno i was just guessing ther mate, take it to a shop maybe? then agen will charge you a bomb

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
cheers for replyin bud :) well, i took it there before (to my local shop), and they just said i am better off to get a new battery... for 120 quid lmao!.. but i saw one earlier for my lappy on ebay for 62 quid :), but i dont want to order it and it doesnt work because theres a fault with my laptop (it not being able to find my battery). =/

TheBoss

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 6, 2004
Middlesbrough
ash1234 said:
cheers for replyin bud :) well, i took it there before (to my local shop), and they just said i am better off to get a new battery... for 120 quid lmao!.. but i saw one earlier for my lappy on ebay for 62 quid :), but i dont want to order it and it doesnt work because theres a fault with my laptop (it not being able to find my battery). =/

buy a new laptop bud :-P, or even better nice desk top pc

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
i wuld luv to but aint got the cash atm lol -_- meh dad just got one of his m8, its a fairly old one, but upgraded to 1 gig ram, 1.8ghz p4 processor.. but its only got 1 usb an no CDRW, just a standard cd drive -_- but i am still trying to get that off him :P

TheBoss

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 6, 2004
Middlesbrough
ash1234 said:
i wuld luv to but aint got the cash atm lol -_- meh dad just got one of his m8, its a fairly old one, but upgraded to 1 gig ram, 1.8ghz p4 processor.. but its only got 1 usb an no CDRW, just a standard cd drive -_- but i am still trying to get that off him :P

Owa youngin sellin his pc, 128 G-force Grfx (afink) 17" TFT Screen, wireless keyborad/mouse, 756MB 80 Gig HHD (afink) Desk etc etc

Dataforce

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 15, 2003
the battery is dead, thats what happens over time. My laptop battery has gone from 5/6 hours to less than 45 mins

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
argh oki =/ looks like i am going to have to order a new one from china lol :P -_- I would order one from my local comp shop, but that would cost me 120 quid for a battery O__O

Cheers for the replies :)

Icelord

LOMCN n00bie
Apr 16, 2006
I've got a toshiba saterlite and on the tools disk it has a program on discharging you battery and its say you have to do it a least once every 3
months and it keeps you life of your battery so you must have a program on your lab or download it from your manufacture to fix the problem.

Also i have taken my battery to my local dealer and they discharged it for me which cost me a fiver, it only took about 10mins they used a machine of some sorts which had a universal adaptor for different batteries which did the job hope that helps you if not sorry mate thats all i know on the subject...hope you sort it out soon....:)

peppe

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 30, 2004
lol i had the same problem its because you leave ur batery in the laptop while its always on chareg fuks up the cells in the battery causing it not to work lol shud always take the battery out when useing the charger as main power suply unless ur charging it up and once its fully charged u shud then remove it lol i had to buy a new battery for like 70-80 quid >.<