Few errors..

gandy

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 13, 2003
Ok after getting a new SATAII Hdd i decided to make it my primary hdd as the other was cluttered......anyway after saving my DBs etc i installed Winxp SP2 on my new hdd.

Set up server fine, everything worked ok. My friend could connect from his house, i left the server running in my other house and connected from my house fine. I came to update a few things today and tried to connect on the same comp thats running the server (had no prob with this before) and i get to char select and get "target machine blah blah" basically the server down message. but i could connect from my other house and my friends could connect. I tried setting the Cin to my Internal, External and Local IP and none worked >.< Only thing different from before is SP2 is installed instead of SP1. This makes it kinda hard to test things. Any reason why this would happen? Ive also tried setting the files up to use 127.0.0.1 (apart from the IPs that i need for others to connect) aswell as my Lan IP. I can connect if i set them all to 127.0.0.1

Second problem......The game used to crash (dont send message) at the char select screen.....i could get around this by clicking before the error cam up but it just quits straight away now.....Ive heard this is drivers but even if i uninstall my video drivers i get the same so i cant see it being that. BUT the game doesnt crash if i connect to euro mirs servers (exact same client).

Any advice? :S Im staying at my house thats running the server tonight so i can try ne ideas.

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
open your sql enterprise manager.
is the ip in TBL_SELECTGATEIPS correct?
try to connect with TELNET command.

Upvote 0

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
Let me explain how Mir3 chats to itself and others and maybe why you are having a problem. When you set up the IP's + name, to get out onto a router and let others connect, you change a couple of settings for the WAN (Internet) Address. This means now the server is sat there listening on that said WAN IP and not internal any longer. To allow people to connect, you give them the .CIN which has the WAN IP and in turn they chat to your Connection from outside, gets port forwarded via the router to the correct machine.

Now normally with most decent routers, you also use the same .cin and it knows (the router) that you are indeed trying to get inside the LAN but it presents the WAN to the application (this is called LoopBack). What the problem is here, is that your router does not look like it has LoopBack and you are not getting connected to port 7000 which in turn means you get that message from the game.

Now there is a way to achive this via MS Loopback device but I have never used this ever as ALL of my routers (I own 4) support loopback. Maybe A search for LoopBack on here might yield some results. How do we test this? Well go through the Server and set it to local IP (not 127.0.0.1 - thats Local ONLY to that machine) and make a CIN for that IP - try and now connect. If you can now connect Local - this has answered the problem.

Upvote 0

gandy

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 13, 2003
Yeh my SQL tables are right

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i63/chris_cce/SQL.jpg

Telnet ......tried 192.168.1.6 7000/7100/7200 aswell as my net IP and got connection failed. But i can get past the log in screen/Server select and others can connect and play.

Seems weird to me that i can log in and choose server but not select my char if im trying to connect on the host pc

EDIT:
as demonic replied while i was typing....

First off thanks for the long post and putting the effort into it.

I know how mir runs and talks pretty well, as you can see weve been around basically the same amount of time. Yes i understand what loopback is and how it is used, and indeed my router doesnt support it. However I solved this last time my making a different CIN for myself with my internal IP or 127.0.0.1 (i cant remember which)........

Also demonic i have tried setting all the IPs to local and this did allow me to stay connected to the sel char screen (this is where the second problem is, i get dont send messages at this point, even on euro mir)

However I do appreciate your and Kaoris advice and i will figure it out, i just posted as i thought it was unusual that the exact same setup (apart from SP1 being installed before) behaves differently. I was basically checking to see if SP2 made any differance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
Well I have SP2 for example and the Server + Gates upon first running will/should pop up a box for access if thats the case of firewall blocking it. I would personally focus on Pure Local for now your end and attack the router part later, after all if it does not connect local, its def gonna struggle on WAN Mode. I remember reading some chinese crap about having more then one set of gates (rungate), one Wan and one local to get around the loopback problem.

The last thing I can think of is the client side, I need to add the latest 2005V Client will never make it past the SelChar part, be this chinese, Korean or English version.

Upvote 0

gandy

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 13, 2003
Well im half there now, been making some progress in the last 5 mins, I turned the DHCP server off on my router and chose my own IP etc This let me get past and select my char for some strange reason (MY ip was set to static in the router) and i didnt even change my IP.....The router game me .6 and i chose .6 manually so i cant see why it made a differance.

Now i need to find out why i get dont send messages at the char select (i can get round this by clicking quick) Is there anything at this point that could lead to it crashing? Its plays a few sounds, reads a few wils and connects to the game server i cant see why that should cause it to crash. Anyway ill have another mess around.

Thanks for your help.

EDIT:
Do you know if installing MS Loopback adapter could get the game to run Via LAN aswell as Online? or will that only work with a router that supports loopback?

Upvote 0

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
MS Loopback is only needed IF your router does not support loopback.

Can you remind us, you said your friends can play fine but not you yes? Are we focusing on the fact you internal is the only onw that can play??

Upvote 0

gandy

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 13, 2003
Sorry if i wasnt clear Demonic, In my previous post i explained that i disabled the DHCP server in my router and configured my internal IP manually. I could then log in, with the IPs set up for online use and play although everyone i know is that plays is at work or college so cant test if they can yet, however i would assume they can as all my IPs are right and my ports are forwarded(I dont know why disabling the DHCP server in my router let me connect :? )

Basically, ive fixed the prob of it d/cing at the char screen. My next problem was the game giving me dont send error messages, ive just reinstalled the client incase it was a corrupt wil file or something client side. Ive yet to test if this works yet, but if not i have about half a second to click start game before it crashes so i can still play.

Basically, was just saying ive got it to a stage where i can log in (from the host PC) , others can from outisde my LAN should be able to. Might have a go at getting my other network PCs in this house to connect by installing MS Loopback and messing around with them, never really bothered before just want to see if i can do it.

Also, are any of your routers that support Loopback netgear ones? Ive been looking for a new router for a week or so, so i may aswell get one that supports loopback but id prefer a d-link or netgear one.

EDIT: After some tweaking, yes i did get it work over LAN aswell as online with using loopback on my laptop :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
Of the routers I have are:

SMC 4 port thing (binned as does not support 10mbit Internet)
Belkin - Worst piece of crap ever invented
Linksys Wireless WRK54G - supports loopback and 10mbit - yeh!!
UR Robotics thing - also supports loopback

There is an option on the Linsys to disable loopback - maybe yours has?

Upvote 0