First Car!

smoochy boys on tour

ABurma

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Apr 13, 2012
I needz to drive ><
Don't as the costs are now disgusting, get a bike as it's easier to maintain and has far less problems than a car. You can have your bike off the road without insurance, where as you can't with a car.

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
Without them, the cheapest quote I could get would be around £3000 and thats third party only with like a £1000 excess lol. Just not worth it. The 'plan' is to stay with them for 1 year then move to a normal insurer as it's always the first year that is just killer expensive. If I crash though I may as well just give up on driving for a while though :x

yea i thought same , im 22 and coming up to my 1st years no claims ( 2400 atm paying monthly , then it drops to 2000 with 1 years drving) so dont count on your 1st year being killer expensive...

jamessss

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jun 18, 2004
Had a fiesta st a year ago cost 1800 with 2 years NCB had an accident went to 4000 ha so got rid. Just built one more years ncb on a shitty 1.2 was 1k to insure for 10 month policy now being 780 with 12 months with 1 ncb. Not arsed about cars, bikes are my pride n joy with having a yamaha r6 2010 model cost 8k with 4 years NCB insurance is 880. Hopefully hitting 23 later this month and 5 years NCB touchwood should drop to 500-600

FUTURA

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jun 25, 2003
DXB
CO-OP INSURANCE !?!? BLACK BOX mate don't do it...dont do it!!

If any of you have a family with other cars switch to admiral multi-car...they quote for your 'fleet' and you get group discounts...my family have 5 cars insured and our insurance is roughly £3-4000 for ALL (can't remember exact amount..I moved countries so my bro uses my SLK..I feel like I'm overestimating btw)...includes 2 mercedes SLKs, mazda 3, mazda 2 and renault clio.

Parents insured on all cars...28yr old insured on mazda 3 + clio...25 yr old insured on all but the mazda 2..and 21 yr old insured on mazda 2 and one SLK..

No lies. Perhaps its gone up now. But my mate switched last year and saves £1000....so worth a look into.

Richens

LOMCN VIP (Mapper)
VIP
Jul 28, 2004
UK - Midlands
Best way to drop your insurance is with Admiral or eqv. Just add 2 named drivers that have a clean licence and loads of no claims. Seriously this has saved so many of my friends hundreds..

I use confused.com

I think I do slightly higher mileage than what i've put, but only by about 2-3k, so take that into consideration too.

I stress again, 2 elders, with a clean licence prefably. (Both my Mum and Dad are on there for example).

Let me know how you do.....

Biohazard

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Apr 21, 2003
Salem, Oregon
Thank God they don't have those black boxes in the US. No one would insure me. I already pay $240 a month for mine.

Shabalabalong

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 1, 2006
Brighton
Only £1,100 for provisional insurance from Quinn and they now allow you to carry on with them once you pass. Hopefully I can avoid the whole black box scheme!