First Ever 3d attempt!!

Join Discord

Version 1.3

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 10, 2005
I've always wanted to try some 3D design - I used to write Screenplays so i've got alot of Fantasy Character floating around in my head, that i wanted to "Bring to life"

This is the first thing i've eva made - so its probably ****e :)

It may be hard to work out what it is without me telling you so...

"One of the films i wrote, was Called "Black" - | Summary | Humans move to another planet, Something crews up and they end up on another one...Pitch black planet, So sun etc etc.. People die - aliens are violent, Its all very ammusing..

One of the aliens that i had in mind - was Dinosaur like (triceratops)
Now as the planet was in complete darkness 24/7 no Animals had Eyes -

So here is The "Head Plate" of the triceratops/Alien

I tried to keep it BoneLike - The Red Section was origionaly Bone aswell, But while messing around i decided to give it a external Organ --- On its head.

Maybe a External Brain - i Don't Really know :)

When giving Crit - Please be 100% honest, as this is something i would like to improve on..

TY

dinoplate.png
dinoplateside.png dinoplatetop.png

I think the Rendering is a little messed, But i did that in Zbrush (not sure if i should Render in PS or not )

Much love
Vodka

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
its a slug.

nice work for a first attempt, but without eyes you don't have any reference to where its head is really (is you get what i mean) it needs some more facial features.

Version 1.3

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 10, 2005
:) ty for responce, Probably hard to see what it is, When i finish the rest ill upload..:)

Vodka
x

Hazuki

VIP
VIP
Apr 14, 2004
United Kingdom
Good job for your first attempt, I think the same as ferrit. Its had to work out which way its meant to be lol, work on some more features and should be pritty good!

Version 1.3

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 10, 2005
ty, im pretty sure ( from watching tutorials ) on zbrush - i should be using one of those Graphics Tablet thingys :(

Mask

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Jun 20, 2003
United Kingdom
i believe your going about it all the wrong way.

whats your end goal? game? film? stills? polygon limit?

i expect the wires will be very messy due to you not creating any base mesh in another 3d application, which will cause insane tearing / stretching when it comes to animating.

no 3d artists start learning 3d sculpting first, no matter which field they are working in.

i would suggest going back and start learning from scratch (depending on how committed you are to your project and its purposes) start in a 3d application such as blender,3dsmax,maya and work up from there till you can create a solid base mesh with clean topology, unless your just going to use it for stills/posters etc.

Version 1.3

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 10, 2005
Yeah, the origional plan was just to GET the characters out of my head and onto the computer - Then in Photoshop ( program im very confortable wish ) Edit them for Still etc...

But, I'm looking into Blender. - I did have Maya on my computer but it scared the crap outta me so i removed it :P...

- Question For Mask -
Im not sure if you use Zbrush at all, But if you do . Should i be using ZSpheres to build my "Base" model or am i ment to just sculpt it from a NormalClay Sphere?

Mask

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Jun 20, 2003
United Kingdom
Yeah, the origional plan was just to GET the characters out of my head and onto the computer - Then in Photoshop ( program im very confortable wish ) Edit them for Still etc...

But, I'm looking into Blender. - I did have Maya on my computer but it scared the crap outta me so i removed it :P...

- Question For Mask -
Im not sure if you use Zbrush at all, But if you do . Should i be using ZSpheres to build my "Base" model or am i ment to just sculpt it from a NormalClay Sphere?

IF your only making them for still images, then you can use zspheres to build your base, but if you intend in making a lot of models, i would get into the habit of making base meshs in one of the programs i previously mentioned, as in the long run it will benefit you more.

also, draw out your ideas in perspective references (front, side,top) onto your pc to work from + you can then edit your sketchs more etc, its harder without a tablet, but if you have a scanner its just another method to get them on the pc to work from.

Version 1.3

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Sep 10, 2005
Cheers Mask -
I think, im going to take a step backwards, As i sort of jumped straight in the deep end there, So the time being im closing down Zbrush and just going to do some basic Reading, on all the things im not familiar with,
Then probably just go thru all the brushes in Zbrush work out what they do etc etc.

As i doubt i'l get anywhere fast trying to make all these complex character without knowing what im really doing..

So, Zbrush is closed, Youtube is open and im preparing for some Serious Tutorial-ing....