For a mate.

Join Discord

Rebel

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2004
Essex, England
Could anyone (preferably urban) recommend a PC for my mate. He's looking to spend £500 which would include a monitor (no mouse / keyboard).

He says he doesn't use it for gaming at the moment, but may so in the future.

Also he doesn't know anyone that could build him one, and cannot do so himself, so he would like an already built one.

If anyone could help out that would be great thanks. If you need any more details just ask.

Rebel.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
*bans for stupidly putting in graphics section*

:P

moved.

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
I normaly wouldnt advise pre-built tbh, but since theres no other option then i reckon Medion!!!

You can get them from ADLI beleive it or not! My mate has a P4 2.6Ghz one and it has the same video card in it as my missus PC, an MSI motherboard, branded ram etc. and pretty cheap too!!

Cant find any prices for you on a £500ish version but this one weighes in a £799, so you get the idea that you will get a reasonably good computer by Medion if you shop about!!

http://www.medion.co.uk/

MEDION Titanium MD 8386
Intel 640 3.2GHz–2MB L2 Cache–800 MHz FSB
320 GB Hard disc capacity 8MB Cache
1024 MB Memory DDR 400MHz, 64 Bit dual channel memory
ATI RADEON X740XL PCI-Express x16
DVD-ROM 16x
Dual layer DVD-RW (DVD+R9(DL)
Analogue stereo TV & FM Radio Tuner Card
Bluetooth Wireless Technology
54 MBit/s Built-in wireless adapter IEEE 802.11g
9 in 1 Memory Card Reader
8-channel Intel® High Definition Audio 7.1 Surround Sound
Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
Headphones
Wireless Remote control

Cant find out what monitor is with it, but my mates come with a 15" TFT so im not sure, his is 2 years old like!!!

Unless urban can think of any more like, this is the only make of pre-build i would buy if i had no choice!!!!

Rebel

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Oct 7, 2004
Essex, England
I recommended building his own, but he can't do it himself / doesn't know anyone that could / doesn't want to pay to get it built.

EDIT:

He's found:

no screen included... £500

AMD 3000+ 64bit
1gb Corsair XMS Low timings
XFX 6600 GT AGP8x
MSI K8n Neo2 Platinum
X-Navigator 450PS Case
160gbSATA 7200RPM
Lite-ON Combo Drive, 52x32x52x16x

Logitech Keyboard and Mouse Combo

That any good?

Last edited:

ipixie's b1tch

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 30, 2005
Rebel said:
I recommended building his own, but he can't do it himself / doesn't know anyone that could / doesn't want to pay to get it built.

EDIT:

He's found:

AMD 3000+ 64bit
XFX 6600 GT AGP8x
MSI K8n Neo2 Platinum
X-Navigator 450PS Case
160gbSATA 7200RPM

That any good?

Anyone? :eek:

Lothomadric

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Dec 19, 2003
Bichon-Wall, With Bob the Chef
Insane said:
I normaly wouldnt advise pre-built tbh, but since theres no other option then i reckon Medion!!!

You can get them from ADLI beleive it or not! My mate has a P4 2.6Ghz one and it has the same video card in it as my missus PC, an MSI motherboard, branded ram etc. and pretty cheap too!!

Cant find any prices for you on a £500ish version but this one weighes in a £799, so you get the idea that you will get a reasonably good computer by Medion if you shop about!!

http://www.medion.co.uk/

MEDION Titanium MD 8386
Intel 640 3.2GHz–2MB L2 Cache–800 MHz FSB
320 GB Hard disc capacity 8MB Cache
1024 MB Memory DDR 400MHz, 64 Bit dual channel memory
ATI RADEON X740XL PCI-Express x16
DVD-ROM 16x
Dual layer DVD-RW (DVD+R9(DL)
Analogue stereo TV & FM Radio Tuner Card
Bluetooth Wireless Technology
54 MBit/s Built-in wireless adapter IEEE 802.11g
9 in 1 Memory Card Reader
8-channel Intel® High Definition Audio 7.1 Surround Sound
Wireless Keyboard and Mouse
Headphones
Wireless Remote control

Cant find out what monitor is with it, but my mates come with a 15" TFT so im not sure, his is 2 years old like!!!

Unless urban can think of any more like, this is the only make of pre-build i would buy if i had no choice!!!!

http://pcs.tiny.com/computers/power_pc/14241/61306/Tiny_Power_P4_3.4

Better Computer....
Cheaper Price...
19" Monitor included.....

/War

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
Lothomadric said:
http://pcs.tiny.com/computers/power_pc/14241/61306/Tiny_Power_P4_3.4

Better Computer....
Cheaper Price...
19" Monitor included.....

/War

OK, the Tiny Computer illustated by Lothomadric vs the the Medion illustrated by myself!

The 128MB GeForce FX 5200 delivers great performance and features.
Isnt that a budget FX card? Which is also an AGP not PCI-E which future proofs your PC, and the Radeon has GDDR3 memory too!

Intel Pentium 4 processor with HT Technology. This is the latest version of the processor with 1024K cache, 3.4GHz clock and 800MHz bus speed. More power per MHz.
Also the CPU is a 5 not a 6 which means its not 64 bit (urban can you verify this)
The medions is a 6, and has double the Cache at 2MB

1024 MB, (2x 512MB) DDR PC 2700 RAM Modules Fitted
Non upgradable unless you take out one of the 512's! The Medion uses a 1GB chip of DDR400, 64 Bit dual channel memory, not DDR333, also leaving the other slots free for future proofing!

Serial ATA Hard Disk with ultra fast serial ATA interface, 7200rpm speed, 2x 200GB capacity and 2MB Buffer.
2x200GB.... with only a 2MB buffer cache compared with 8MB on the medion! I wouldnt even consider a drive with 2MB cache.

Audio sound chipset on-board with 5.1 (6 channel)
8-channel Intel® High Definition Audio 7.1 Surround Sound on the medion which is better is it not??

Bluetooth, wireless connectivity.... plus much more on the Medion!

The only plus point in my opinion is the 19" Flat Panel monitor, after checking the medion has a 17" Flat Panel! Not like its gonna impact raw performance as much as the hardware is it???

Better PC? I think not, look at the stats mate, if you knew anything about anything you could see just by looking at them!

Last edited:

digi-worx

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 3, 2005
Intel Pentium 4 processor with HT Technology. This is the latest version of the processor with 1024K cache, 3.4GHz clock and 800MHz bus speed. More power per MHz.
Also the CPU is a 5 not a 6 which means its not 64 bit (urban can you verify this)
The medions is a 6, and has double the Cache at 2MB

Intel haven't produced a desktop 64 bit processor as of yet? i dont think anyway.

And the 64 bit processor they have produced is intirely 64 bit so need a emulator to run 32 bit programs. correct me if im wrong?

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
digi-worx said:
Intel haven't produced a desktop 64 bit processor as of yet? i dont think anyway.

And the 64 bit processor they have produced is intirely 64 bit so need a emulator to run 32 bit programs. correct me if im wrong?

Just checked, and your right.... but the 5 is still a lower end CPU to the model 6 and has a 1MB less cache!

I stand corrected on the 64bit scenario, but everything still says it beats his illustrated PC hands down.

digi-worx

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 3, 2005
yeah the machine you posted Insane looks very nice. i dont really like the processer as i dont really like Intel but thats my personal opinion. i prefere AMD.

Last edited:

urbanfox

No Brag, Just Fact
Legendary
digi-worx said:

:confused:

The pentium 6 series has 2mb cache and 64 bit extensions, and can run 32 just as normal as 64.

EDIT

Also tiny made a slight error, it's not the latest, but still damn fast.

Sean

Developer
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
May 13, 2003
Rebel said:

EDIT:

He's found:

AMD 3000+ 64bit
XFX 6600 GT AGP8x
MSI K8n Neo2 Platinum
X-Navigator 450PS Case
160gbSATA 7200RPM

That any good?

Sounds good to me.

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
digi-worx said:
yeah the machine you posted Insane looks very nice. i dont really like the processer as i dont really like Intel but thats my personal opinion. i prefere AMD.

Me neither mate, but for some reason Medion dont seem to do an AMD system, or at least i cant find one!

Rebel said:
I said £500 for a reason :D. Is the one I posted any good?
Aye aye..... well, my humble opinion without checking prices!

Insane

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Sep 18, 2003
The Matrix!!
urbanfox said:
:confused:

The pentium 6 series has 2mb cache and 64 bit extensions, and can run 32 just as normal as 64.

So i was right???? I checked Aria, and when the specs did not state the 6 series was 64bit i assumed that he was right in what he said....

EDIT: Whooooppsssss. Sorry for double post!! Wont happen again.

digi-worx

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 3, 2005
Ok urban you've completely confused my head now. as i read a article stating intel werent making a 64 bit processor for home desktop computing as they didnt see that desktop computing needed it yet? or something along those lines

Edit - Ok i stand corrected. must of been a outdated article.

http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware/intel_pentium_4_660_3.73ee/ said:
There’s EM64T technology, 64-bit extensions purportedly backwards-compatible with AMD64 and borrowed from Intel’s Xeon DP family.

Last edited: