Formatting and Installing Windows XP Pro on a Laptop...

DeathWish

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Oct 29, 2003
Hello, I have this laptop: http://www.comet.co.uk/cometbrowse/product.do?sku=363286&tab=specification

and I want to format it and install Windows XP Pro because it has too much random ****e with it. For some reason when I tried to do this it kept saying "The product ID which you entered is invalid. please try again." and I'm not sure why. It is a copy of Windows XP Pro and it worked fine for my PC with the same serial so I was wondering why it wouldn't work on my laptop. I have also tried quiet a few other serials and they said the same thing. I was wondering if anyone knows why this is happening and how I could fix it.

Thanks.

DeathWish

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Oct 29, 2003
Still says the same thing, The Product ID which you entered is invalid. Please try again.

:S

Fire

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 15, 2003
which service pack is on the CD none, sp1 or sp2?

DeathWish

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Oct 29, 2003
yep, no typo :(

The version i have on dvd atm that wont work is "WXPVOL_EN" - Windows XP Professional Corporate/Volume, I think this is RTM? not sure what it means just something I read.

just downloaded "VRMPFPP_EN" - Windows XP Professional (SP2) Retail hopfully that might work, guna try it 2morrow anyway.

Thanks for your help :)

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Afaik the windows cd's which you get with your PC, somehow remember something of your hardware and won't install on other computers.

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
the one I have is also called WXPVOL_EN (Microsoft.Windows.XP.Professional.SP2.Integrated.READ.NFO-ETH0.bin)

DeathWish

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Oct 29, 2003
Thats the 1 I got Kaori, I've had it a while on disk and it worked fine on this computer I'm on now.

I think it works like they pre-install everything then you have to burn the recovery disks etc, but I don't want none of the stuff that I think will come along with re-formatting it with their disks, I just want a clean laptop.

DeathWish

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Oct 29, 2003
I tried the other version I dowloaded, the Retail one and it says "The CD key which you entered is invalid. Please try again.", hmmm I don't know why nothing is working.

ipixel

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 11, 2005
Northern Ireland
Thats the 1 I got Kaori, I've had it a while on disk and it worked fine on this computer I'm on now.

I think it works like they pre-install everything then you have to burn the recovery disks etc, but I don't want none of the stuff that I think will come along with re-formatting it with their disks, I just want a clean laptop.

On my last 2 PCs the recovery disks always gave me the option of a full install or just the OS, might be worth checking tbh.

Dataforce

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 15, 2003
Different versions have different keys.

You need a key for the version your using.