forum embedding

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
basically i want to have a 'forum' embedded into my website. but not a full forum, just one where ppl can make new threads, and post in them.

it should show them all in just one long list, with no sections or sub sections, no usercp or other functions. just plain old make new thread, and post in that thread.

what wld be the best forum/bulletin board thing to use? and how would i go about embedding it into my site.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
There could be a free one on HotScripts or somewhere else.

Then you can just use a php include or an iframe to "embed" it into your website.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
hmm. id have thought it wld need to be a propper forum type thing id have to use. since i still want you to have to login to post. and the info to be kept in mysql.

is there no specially bulletin board that does this? or something like phpbb?

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Not that I know of, yeah you'd need an sql and stuff but if you find a simple one without headers and such you could.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
im just trying to search on hotscripts. but what would i search for? everything iv found is a full board, and not just a one page list of threads.

edit:

iv got a simple board setup and working, but it doesnt require user login, just to enter your name and post.

any idea how to encorporate a user login system with it? iv search at hotscripts and on google and nothing at all has come up. there were 2 useful ones on hotscripts, but neither of the sites are working.

Last edited:

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Hmmm, so you got a guestbook basically.

It's quite easy to learn how to write sql in php, then just get your head around forms.

JackDaniels

Registered
Veteran
Jul 28, 2007
yerh i might php code 1 for you soon as i have finished with Xtralist.net ill sort one out for you

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
nah thats ok. i only need the base code to get it running as ill have to fully modify it anyway to fit around my site.

jus need a guide on how to get login working with the board.

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
You could always use phpbb and just embed (using iframe) the forum within your website in an open forum where anyone can post.

KnightRider

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 30, 2003
nah thats ok. i only need the base code to get it running as ill have to fully modify it anyway to fit around my site.

jus need a guide on how to get login working with the board.

Login bit.

You can store the username and password inside mysql, the password can be in md5 format so know no one knows want it is or even you.

When they enter their login and password you check it with the database one too see if it the same if it is

You can do the following

Store a cookie that tells you that they have login by just having username inside it and has a expire set.

or

store it in a session

up to you how you like to do this.

all you do is a simply check to see if they have login by using one of the following at the top.

hope that helps

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
yup thanks.

iv got a login system working (simple login, log out) and a forum working (just trying to get the thread template working, being very annoying)

im just going to link the login with posting new threads and replys so you have to be logged in to do it.

then iv got to tidy everything up and make the forum abit more sophisticated, as its so simple it can hardly do anything atm.

thanks for all the help. im sure ill be making lots more threads with php help very soon.