Found this Interesting....

Join Discord

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
http://playnoevil.com/serendipity/index.php?/archives/1069-guid.html

One of the key reasons for the popularity of MMOs in Asia is their resistance to piracy.

Resistance is not immunity, however, with additional details about piracy against Legend of Mir 3 in China emerge in a story in China Daily.

The suspects are being prosecuted for violating copyright (which doesn't seem very comforting - one hopes that such services could be prosecuted for more severe crimes).

The pirated game operated between August 2004 and May 2005.

The criminals earned approximately 500,000 yuan (over $64,000 - a lot of money in China). The users were selling lifetime subscriptions for 300 yuan (a number that can be less than the monthly charge for the legitimate game)... its not like they could collect subscriptions, after all. They also made money from advertising.

The legitimate operator, Guangzhou Optisp Company, claimed losses of 10 million yuan per month (US$1.28 Million).

Apparently, the first pirate game server went online in China in 2001. Since then, the problem has grown significantly.

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
Yes, I'm sure I speak for all of us when I too say they should be prosecuted for more severe crimes. :P

I have to admit. Charging for servers is a hellova good idea when you consider the possibility of having to pay for a lawyer ;)

...*shouts*Cunning plan!
/Leo

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
Very interesting, i know it sounds odd but it is so easy to forget private servers are trying to compete with the real thing but in reality, I find there is no competition, only that between people who play private servers. Few pull more people from euro to theirs.

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
Well from what I know of China they Sell Server files (ala Mr. CruelDragon been one of them) and as they have 100Mbit network - they can offer on a decent set up a good number - seen many that easy have 2000+ Online. The problem though is that One person (or in this case 3) is a drop in the Ocean to how many are running. I guess once they set a guide line - its easier to take out the others for the same act.

What about the so called "Donation" Servers that are operating as of now? Would the courts make any Difference to the end verdict of a Tottaly Free Server compared to a Donate one? At the end of the day, it is still Copyright Theft regardless if you pull in 10 or 10,000 and in that light, if they wanted to, they could go after the bigger servers and hope that in turn the others shut down anyhow - much like many other MMORPG out there..

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Few pull more people from euro to theirs.

Is that the "I wouldn't have bought it anyway" argument? The RIAA didn't take too kindly to that lol.

Demonic said:
What about the so called "Donation" Servers that are operating as of now? Would the courts make any Difference to the end verdict of a Tottaly Free Server compared to a Donate one?

I think it depends on what the money is used for (at least in the case of emulation). Not that it would matter with WEMADE produced files. But they're only likely to go after the ones with many players or making much money. Stay with emulators and use your own images and your goody ^^.

/Leo

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
If they stopped all the MIR2/3/Woool Private Servers tommorow, what would we loose? 80% of the Mir3 server go offline on there own Accord and the remaining ones have limited players these days. This is probably why Wemade / whoever are not really that interested but as per that Article, they Assumed as they were running for so long and many also ran one - they were immune until one day "Knock Knock Knock" - it might or might not happen here - who knows..

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Yes one day ;).

Who knows, they might also have a mole here to monitor the situation and status of servers, whose been in a staff position for a few years gathering up cases against individuals.

But that would just be silly... right? :P
/Leo

Demonic

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Dec 1, 2003
Yes one day ;).

Who knows, they might also have a mole here to monitor the situation and status of servers, whose been in a staff position for a few years gathering up cases against individuals.

But that would just be silly... right? :P
/Leo

Whoa, your telling me Dataforce inbetween his paper-rounds is a Mole for wemade - Cool !!!

(gets out Big magnetic and wipes all computers before running of into the distance)...

Amenovis

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 9, 2006
Germany
mhh one posibillity is what ideas had the illegal servers for npc for quests and so on. If i would be a gameproducer it would be very interesting for me to see what make ppl with my files and at least what loves the players. Lol maybe there is a code inside the Exe that tells wemade here and here is a server running and one player is online to look wich ideas had the GM and what the players think about *rofl.

(okok iam sure its not like that but hey as producer give it a better informationposibility to sell own staff??)

greetz

Ameno

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
Here is a thought, how are shareware donations considered, the money given for the program or service is voluntary but I'll bet the tax man counts those as earnings and therefore you should declare and pay taxes on them. Paypal accounts can be audited (which is how most people get donations). If a private server is brought into question and donations are taken then financial records can be audited to see if any "earnings" have been made. Just something to bear in mind, I'm sure all the server owners are aware the risks are not just associated with using pirated server files. :)

shorty606

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 10, 2005
make yourlsef a charity - no mr tax man then. Of course remember to donate to yourself.