gaming programming languages

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
im looking to get in to creating games, have always been an app man, but it seems thinking of original apps is hard to come by these days.

i only want to make simple sprite games, rpg genre to start with.

i dont know many programming languages, i know c#, vb6, php.

dont really want c++ as i dont want to invest too much time in learning the language, but really wanna jus jump in there and start programming.

was thinking java, but is java mainly used for inbrowser games?

or if games are straight forward to do in c# that would be great.

kud125

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 18, 2004
aren't majority of inbrowser games made in java and flash?
(just re-read your post, and my reply, and realised you weren't questioning this, ignore me i'm an idiot)

Last edited:

Pottsy

Legend
Legendary
Feb 26, 2004
I think C++ is the language used mainly for games, but tbh i don't see the problem using any language if you wanted to get into it, by the looks of it you already know a fair bit...an i'm sure you've heard the term 'Know 1 know them all' which to me is fairly accurate, only problem i have is remembering what program i'm on lol.

Created a whole script in Flash once, but used C++ language, didn't realise till i tried to run it, was funny :P

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
I think C++ is the language used mainly for games, but tbh i don't see the problem using any language if you wanted to get into it, by the looks of it you already know a fair bit...an i'm sure you've heard the term 'Know 1 know them all' which to me is fairly accurate, only problem i have is remembering what program i'm on lol.

Created a whole script in Flash once, but used C++ language, didn't realise till i tried to run it, was funny :P

Yes, most of games are coded in C/C++...maybe cause it works faster than java but. Anyway I prefer Java, I've tried C some years ago and i don't like it.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
ah right. ive never used java at all, i dont think its very object orientated is it? always presumed java was mainly browser/phone games coz when i search google i couldnt find anything relating to a downloadable windows game.

so if i were to create a game similar to pokemon for example, would that be viable to do in java?

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
java = king of object orientation :p

Isnt really about the language you use to be honest, its about how you do it. Some older languages allow more flexibility in regards to memory management and if you know what your doing you can improve performance.

Last edited:

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Java does not support pointers that why it has less flexibility than languages such as C/C++ but Java is easier to use though.

kyndigs

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Feb 19, 2009
Reading, UK
Java does have pointers, but not the type you are thinking off.

Anyway, if you want to get into games stay with .NET, start messing around in WPF with side scrollers then move onto the bigger stuff.

Alecs

SPQR
VIP
Jan 10, 2009
Europa
Java does have pointers, but not the type you are thinking off.

Anyway, if you want to get into games stay with .NET, start messing around in WPF with side scrollers then move onto the bigger stuff.

I mean it doesn't have C/C++ style pointers.

Coly

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 31, 2005
Germany
Old Game Coding Language is ASM/C/C++,
most use now more C# with XNA and so on.
To Made Games, you can use all Lenguage, I see no problem.
I use ASM/C/C++ and Delphi...

Edit :
for Delphi you get help src and the latest DX9 and
DX10 + the Extention 10.1 (DX11) Header from here : http://www.clootie.ru/
(normal and XNA)

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
ive found a guide for javas webstart, i really like this idea. keeping all data online and saving a big installation process.

im guessing this is only available by using java and making a JNLP?

ive done a little XNA, but not interested in porting to an xbox really, and would rather use a free language.

GOMEEE

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 5, 2009
PHP/Ajax webgames are the only way forward (Y)

onyl cuz php and jQuery are the only things i can get my tiny mind around lol

but C# seems like a sensable option if i was going to do any other type of game