general order..

D4N0

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 22, 2007
just a quick question,. when designing a server. what is the order people do things in eg:

1. spawns
  2. new maps
  3. new items

etc etc..

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
just a quick question,. when designing a server. what is the order people do things in eg:

1. spawns
  2. new maps
  3. new items

etc etc..

Totaly up to you, you have to try and keep a balance of whats boring and whats not boring through the creation of a server, you could even do bits of each at a time and just work at doing all three at once.

Just decide which would allow you to keep the best attention span lol.

/Ash

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
i usually get a basic 1.9(ish) mapped server running smoothly, maps items mob spawns etc all running.

then add a new map, followed by new spawns, followed by new items.

Xanan

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jan 5, 2006
I like to do it in order that i can keep track on, for example, i start by laying out the homezone, making sure it has everything players will need.

Then i do low level levelling caves, to high.

Then once everything that is needed is added, i add things such as quests and new features.

D4N0

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 22, 2007
kk n1 guys. thats the sorta order im tyrying to stick to where i get mobs spawns in first, and what not and then add the new stuff in from now maps etc etc.

ty ty

/dano

NewHope

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 18, 2005
Firstly set out the homezone, with all the basic npcs.
The begin on the other maps, caves.
Then add the mobs.
Then add the drop files.

During doing all this i create the items.
As items can spawn cave/monster ideas, and vice versa. :D
I also add any quest ideas during all this, by placing an npc in the spot i think, then adding a basic idea of quest to be worked on later.

Neptune

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 19, 2003
Chester :P
the way i normally do it is

Mobs , then map then drops (because drops dnt have to be in the files to be able to hunt in a area) mobs should normally go first so that whilst maps are beeing made mobs can be checked then once the maps on open it up and check with the mobs on the map.

its more personal prefrence, i mean loads of ppl do drops then mobs with there spawns togeva then finnaloy add the map or do drops add map then add mobs, ither way a map can have "old" mobs in it to test the map then add the new mobs, but in general the mobs r the easyest as u can copy and paste a collum for a mob and rename it then change the look and adjust once the drops are done and complete.

or theres add them all in 1 go then call it a "update".

like i say its all personal prefrence tho

Last edited:

Bon

Legend
Legendary
Jul 29, 2004
Kent, UK
os theres add them all in 1 go then call it a "update".
u referin 2 OS?... u tryin to be sarcastic by by sayin "update" or soemthing?

personally when i started OS... i set out aplan in a notepad... then added as follows

-sorted a homezone and all npcs
-sorted all mapinfo and mapmove for all caves
-all items,
-then added mobs, and used them items to test the strengths,
-then did drop files

nowa days i just build ontop of whats alrdy there .. when i add a cave i do it in this order

-mapinfo
-mapmove (door coords)
-monster
-spawns
-any new items i wanna add
-drop files

Neptune

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 19, 2003
u referin 2 OS?... u tryin to be sarcastic by by sayin "update" or soemthing?

no sorry m8 its spelling mistake lol its ment to be "OR" so ill change that now lol ^_^ didnt realise.

no generaly people add a new cave and call it a update, nothin against OS just ment to put or but the s and r are no ware near each other i know ^_^

D4N0

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 22, 2007
tbh bon i think he means to say 'coz' not 'os'

Neptune

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 19, 2003
i also did it bons way with the notepad, just sorta setting it out as

make HomeZone
Add Npc's as Needed
Items for level 1-25 (if its a slow exp server if not then u will need more levels there like 40-50 etc its all up to u)
Cave
Mobs
Change Some Mob Stats

ETC u can see how its going

but wen i "sorted" it i simply put a "*" at the end then if a bug was reported i wud put a "/" so u know that this has had a bug (make it easyer the next time u come round to it)

hope that kinda makes sence, yet agen its all to do with the way peopke like to do things really