GM Crops and Green peace

smoochy boys on tour

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
Anybody find it stupid that GM Crops can solve 25% of the worlds hunger and save billions of lives, despite it being tested and approved by all the required governments for safety that Green Peace come along and say its bad and could cause you to get three eyes....

They seem to forget that in this world and in Africa, people have no choice over what they eat, infact.. they do not eat! So a genetically modified crop which has the ability to grow in such terrains such as Africa is a savoir and can help a poor country which has over 25,000 deaths a day due to starvation and poverty, actually find a new way of life.

Green peace = bad.

Turin

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 21, 2004
LomCN
I'd just hate to think that the GM crops were put there with good intentions but end up causing something seriously wrong in future African generations adding to the problem. I'm aware that it has a lot of backing from the scientific community, but the moral implications are very damaging on several levels. Should we support anything unnatural and genetically modified in the first place? I mean to say, its not like the people who don't support it, live in the middle ages but its just that no ones really sure who will bear the burden of fault if something does go wrong.

Also I have no idea how expensive a project like that can be, so I'll have to do a bit more research to find out.

Turin

MentaL

Mir 1.4
VIP
Mar 3, 2004
Cardiff
We all eat foods which are unnatural, look at how majority of chickens we eat are kept, in black rooms and basically slaughtered after a while, how about special rooms with specific temperatures and modified manure to maximize a plant which we eat.. its not all natural...

Natural = out of the ground with no intervention.

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
@MentaL
I agree that IF GM crops would solve world hunger, that it shouldn't be opposed. However, they wouldn't (and they're not stopped from sale either). Heck its a $22billion industry. I'm not entirely sure what makes you think GM crops can solve world hunger, when lack of capacity isn't the issue.

These poorer nations are often not suffering from lack of arable land, but rather lack of control over said land to build the resources they need. Indeed many varietys of crops are capable of growing in some of the most desert like nations on the planet. Whats the point in 'allowing' GM seeds when you don't have anywhere to put them?

But to get back to your silver bullet idea - GM seeds cost money and have very ickly 'licensing' agreements. For example under the agreements of every major western GM seed company, you cannot keep seeds you don't use in the current cycle.

You'd do a lot more good by giving these areas control over their land, resources to farm, and the skills needed to manage it. Also abolising farm subsidies for western nations would go a long way to helping - starting with that damned French CAP.

/Leo

Peart

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 14, 2006
Green Peace are a joke, bunch of straw-clutching hippie fags

Toxick

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 17, 2003
i have'nt read up on this matter, but you have to think, it might not effect us or our children but our future generations it might, due to us eating GM it might have a effect on our cells in the future.

But like i said, i havent read up on this matter much.

Atomicide

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 4, 2003
GM foods aren't like injected with Uranium or anything like that. Its about genetic Manipulation. Basically, lets say you have 2 Strawberry Plants.

Plant one has developed a natural resistance to the cold, allowing it to start growing earlier in the year.

Plant two produces a better tasting and larger amount of strwaberries.

Basically what they do is manipulate the genetics of each plant into a seed/cell/whatever that grows into a plant which has the qualities of both plants.

The problem people had with adverse effects is at first before all this was approved, there had to be tests, and the problem with the tests were the fact it doesnt take long for Genetically altered plants to interact with natural plants. So basically if some genetically altered corn actually ended up unable to survive, and cross polinated with natural corn, it would effectively end up killing off entire crops.

Greenpeace just need something to whine about.