HardDrive Problem?

RedDragonX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 5, 2005
Could any tell me if this is a harddrive problem.

My pc was quite filled with junk a few weeks ago, but was working perfectly fine, so i decided to do a format, after that, my computer was working fine still , but after about 5 days it started to go very slow and funny, nothing was responding either, ive formatted my computer atleast 7 times now and the same problems occurs every 3-5 days

Im wondering if this means my harddrive is damaged or something,
Can this be fixed?, or will i need a new Hard Drive?

RDX

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Check no background tasks like Updates/Defrag/antivrus etc are set as "on" from the install for weekly housekeeping.
Are you connected to the net when the slow down occurs and is there lots of activity ?

Make sure you have a firewall up and running.

Make sure you back up important data just in case your drive is failing. Seems unlikely if it happens after a few days.

RedDragonX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 5, 2005
the problem occurs when im conencted to the net, ( because the net is never off :P) when ever i format my computer i always install a firewall, virusscan before accessing the net (net is off) but the same thing still happens, also there is hardly any activity wen my computer starts to slow down

Fire

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 15, 2003
try scanning for adware...

also i would check what is running on startup

RedDragonX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 5, 2005
I have done several adaware scans already, doesnt change anything, nothing out of the ordinary is running on start up either.

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
So you've reformatted several times.
What software do you put back each time ?
Try reformatting and putting nothing back.
Use Windows firewall.
Don't install anything else like pvt server or anything.
Try and use an almost clean, virgin set up for a week.
If it happens with no 3rd party software running then something else is up.

RedDragonX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 5, 2005
tried all that too, also tried all sorts or different firewalls,antivirus'es etc but still the same problem

RedDragonX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 5, 2005
Bump - Still cant seem to fix, can any1 help?

Just formatted PC again for the 8th time.., also my internet keeps not working and i cant fix that now, so is it a damaged harddrive?

Ps. Ive checked firewalls etc and done error checks, defrags... and system restores

Neptune

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 19, 2003
Chester :P
yes its a harddrive problem.

this will occure when

A Reformatting the pc and there is still 2 partitons on the hard drive

B its over heated an will only slightly work (i kno that bc mine did it)

Also if u reinstall windows make sure u start it up with out auto update an see if it still happens.

just a quick question, Once uv reinstalled windows do it run ok for a day or 2 then it shows signs?? then once u restart ur comp does it say no windows is installed or stop at start up screen??

RedDragonX

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 5, 2005
sometimes itr starts up and when i click anything, an error comes up, (even folders), the only place i can to is desktop, other times wen it slows down it starts up, runs smooth for around a min then slows.

Neptune

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Nov 19, 2003
Chester :P
sometimes itr starts up and when i click anything, an error comes up, (even folders), the only place i can to is desktop, other times wen it slows down it starts up, runs smooth for around a min then slows.

defo sounds like a harddrive problem to me. can u get hold of like a 4/5 gig hdd to try in ur pc as u dnt wana spend loads on the HDD an then its not actually that. it could also be a hardwear problem like the fan to ur pentium not working properly due to dust ect ect dnt need to go on.

just try get hold of a crappy lil 4/5 gig HDD load windows xp onto it an see wot happens from there. if al runs fine then obviously its a hardwear problem

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
Lets assume it is the hard drive.
How old is it and what make is it ?
Some makes, Seagate for one, have 2 or 3 years warranty. If its within that time fram, they'll repair or replace it free or just the cost of postage.
You'll need to get the serial number off it and check out the webite of the maker and they often will say if its under warranty.
G/l

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Lets assume it is the hard drive.
How old is it and what make is it ?
Some makes, Seagate for one, have 2 or 3 years warranty. If its within that time fram, they'll repair or replace it free or just the cost of postage.
You'll need to get the serial number off it and check out the webite of the maker and they often will say if its under warranty.
G/l
Don't most seagates come with a 5 year warranty now?

Kaori

LOMCN MiR3 Queen!
VIP
Jun 3, 2004
Canada
tried low level format? (to wipe everything)
put a drive fan... if it's hot.
buy a new one... (not expensive at all)