help with win7 x 64 problem

Join Discord

nikerlassmith

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 15, 2009
wondering if theres any way to bypass this. if u can maybe run it off a virtual or if theres any new update on bein able to run a server usin this OS .
if theres any way possible wud use be able to give me some info on how to do it? i have been tryin to set up server for year or 2 now but always hittin some sort of wall comin to specs for hostin and now pickin a OS to run it on .
any help wud be greatly welcome

twisterdmk

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 13, 2009
USA
Ditch the 7 and grab XP, it will make your pc run smoother in my opinion. Although I haven't tried, setting up on windows 7, have you tried installing sql 2000 or 05? Restoring databases, setting to 127.0.0.1 and just seeing if it will even work? I'll due a test here in a few and tell you if it's possilbe. :eek:hmy:

Okay, I tried it and it does work somewhat. The ArmaFP.exe will not work properly on Windows 7 or Vista. However, you can make a dual boot of your pc with Windows 7 and XP. Some wind 7 pc's came with a XP downgrade if 7 was not satisfiable.

Last edited:

nikerlassmith

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 15, 2009
i got my pc custom built i had to download my windows myself , i dnt rly wanna be gettin rid of windows 7 as i got alot stuff already stored onto it and i think wud probs just be a hassle redownloading evrything from 7 to xp . im not very clued up much on duel booting my brother did it before but hes currently away working atm and was hoping to get sumthin started this weekend .but last resort ... if i cant do anything with 7 im best off with xp ? and thanks for replyin to my problem

just chekd wud this tool help me out any ? http://www.microsoft.com/windows/virtual-pc/download.aspx

Last edited:

twisterdmk

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 13, 2009
USA
It might very well, but I got SQL 2000 installed, restored the databases, changed to chinese(prc) on the pc. But the ArmaFP.exe, will not run properly when I tried to run it as WindowsXP(SP2). I will try and test it once more.

nikerlassmith

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 15, 2009
im tryin to get updates for the xp virtual to find the language packs for it to put in chinese , i was told before the arma didnt work properly with 7 before now just need all the required updates for the virtual and i can test to see if the stuff works , i tried to get the guide and the mirfiles user and pass dnt seem to work for me to get the files for server any ideas wats up with it ?
thanks again for ur help

twisterdmk

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 13, 2009
USA
Okay i've checked into this windows 7 deal, and you need Professional or higher to run in XP mode. Mine is Home Edition Premium, so if you have higher than HE let me know please.
If you due have Home Edition or lower, have a look at this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqD4TiP0QBE

Last edited:

twisterdmk

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 13, 2009
USA
I've gotten the videos of how to setup SQL and Restore the Databases, if you need them? Please post back..

nicofortune

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
It is possible to run a mir 3 server off a virtual machine i know ive done it before :) it just runs smoother on a pc rather than a virtual machine

nikerlassmith

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 15, 2009
im runnin windows ultimate x64 atm , and about the files im usin the The One Thread you will ever need (MiR III). its allowing me now to go into mirfiles .
i am now just looking for the files needed for language its missing alot first one being cplexe.exe and im sure plent of more missing ones , do any of use know were could get these files from , i have tried putting auto update on to see if theres any but atm none
again thanks alot for helping

nicofortune

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
for the chinese prc u just add in the east asian languages or summit like that and u need the windows disk used for the install in the cd drive also server files dont work with windows 7 or vista they work with windows 2k, win xp, windows server 2003 (not webserver edition tho)

nikerlassmith

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 15, 2009
yeh i downloaded sumthin before on another pc same problem the language files wasnt there ima try tht the now n get bak see if this works ty scott ;p

scrap the virtual idea i think doesnt run from win7 x64 to xp 64 i thaught it did its only able runnin on 512 mb of ram , my only choice is to put windows xp onto my pc and be done with os 7?

Last edited:

nicofortune

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 13, 2009
i will keep a eye out for what you are looking for and if i see it i will let you know on msn i will be more than happy to help you with the server as and when you get it up and running tho i know some scripting etc :)

nikerlassmith

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 15, 2009
whats the best sql version to make this with cant seem to find the 2000 eval edition in the all in one thread and could u link me up please?
oh and wats best client to use ???

all good found it on mirfiles , emm im not rly sure wat kind of server i wanna have tbh i wanna learn how to add and edit stuff for the game and tht mainly offline usage with maybe open for my friends to test on n stuff and if i get good hopefully have a live one up and running
any tips from wud be great thanks

Last edited:

twisterdmk

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
May 13, 2009
USA
Windows 7 does allow you to setup a server. You must use the Windows Virtual PC and setup the XP edition. It will run in the background on virtual quiet easily, if you have x64 then you should have at least 2 GB of RAM. Which is more than enough to host a server. I have the setup videos done for setting up sql, restoring databases, and if you have Windows 7 Home Edition or lower. You will need the other video that I have made showing you how to setup VirtualWindows XP.