How to pronounce Tao

Join Discord

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
well i have heard people say this fro ages and tbh its starting to piss me off now lol, when certain letters are next to each they make a different sound. you dont have to say every letter to say a word take my name for example - Craig you dont cra-ig you say crayg.

So Tao is not "Tayoh", but finding a a word that resembles it is hard lol i am going to have to separate words to get the right sound. it would be pronounced as if saying "towel" but not saying the "el".

examples of ao = ow are as follows,-
-Maoam - the sweets you can buy.
-Sao Paolo - the brazillian city.

come on lets not be retards all our lives, we need to give the oldies some hope. i always say playing games teaches you more than watching TV, dont let me be wrong......

DiabloVodkaShot

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 20, 2009
tow all the way

---------- Post Merged at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:53 PM ----------

tow all the way

Samuel

Mir Chronicles Dev
VIP
Feb 8, 2011
Taoism... But without the ism... Like Mystic Meg and her all seeing crystal ball.

How else is it pronounced? lol

Sam

d1craig

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 12, 2010
Taoism... But without the ism... Like Mystic Meg and her all seeing crystal ball.

Sam

i brought this up and they just said "tayohism". if i where you this would give me a great big smile and i would be thinking "all these idiots i have been worrying about because they moan about everything, and they cant even talk properly".

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
It's just Taoist shortened.

Which is promounced Tayoh-ist, so Tayoh it is for me.

It's not pronounced Towist.

Reactions: MythRohan

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
A clue is in the question.
"How" do you say Tao ?
Say it with the same sound as the ow in How.

Some people say Dao because the T is often said softly and sounds like a D.

It's definitely not tay oh.

Slipmatt

Why the f are we still here?
Golden Oldie
May 10, 2009
County Durham
See it's weird because from the start of mir I always said it like 'toe-a' but I'm a Geordie so hey ho we can't even fckin speak according to most..

then I met a few guys around 7 month ago and started saying Tayoh, ball bags rubbed off on me.

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
The correct way to say Taoism is "Tow-iz-am"

Taoist is Towist

So Tao should be Tow (taʊ)

I pronounce Taoist as Towist, however Tao as Tay-o

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
lol ive had this debate on ts , some people call it a towel.

me and my mates have always said it like tay oh ist

Untamable

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 31, 2013
It's actually dao instead of Tao. You pronounce "t" as "d".

bayya

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 19, 2012
http://www.howjsay.com/index.php?word=tao
http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/audio.pl?tao00001.wav=Tao
merriam webster is the USA equivalent of Oxford English Dictionary. I couldnt find OED with sound some else look please.

there is an alternative 2 syllable pronunciation but its ta as in tap o as in dog so more tah uh
not tayo to rhyme with mayo thats just a nonsense. Had this question turning up since euro. You'd think ppl get it right after all these years. So all you tayo ist sayers are just plain wrong and you can go check it for yourselfs.

The t or d sound debate has been going for years too. The best explantion I have heard is that it's somewhere between the T and the softer D which doesnt occur in english speakers so both sounds are not really correct.

Last edited:

Tom27

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 15, 2005
Norwich

Sam
I pronounce it similar to this.
"Taah-ohh"
"Taah-ow"

merriam webster is the USA equivalent of Oxford English Dictionary. I couldn't find OED with sound some else look please.
Personally, I think Americans have adjusted pretty much every single English word in the dictionary.
E.g. Aubergene = Eggplant,
Aluminium = Aluminum
Bumbag = Fanny pack

Last edited:

bayya

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 19, 2012
soz Tom but that isnt really clear do u make it sound like salad dressing - mayo naise or the alt pronunciation I tried to show above?
Ta like tap with the sound of the the o in of or dog or top. Not the o as in go.
Check the links I gave and listen to them.