Hypothetical upgrade

smoochy boys on tour

Shard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 12, 2003
I was just wondering, if I was to completely upgrade my PC, what the best thing to do would be. There is no budget, just keep it reasonable. Just wanting to play most, if not all games, on medium-high graphics with a reasonable FPS, playable, not reasonable.

cpuoy4.jpg

motherboardus1.jpg

ramii7.jpg

There is an identical stick of RAM in Slot #3 as well as Slot 1 shown in the picture.

Thanks in advance =]

EDIT: Sorry, almost forgot. Am happy with my HDD, and my graphics card is a 512MB XFX GeForce 7300GT.

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
i cant do hardware, but id say proccessor if anything out of that. cant that pc play everything already? my pc quite abit lower spec than that and it plays everything at highest graphics, bar bioshock where i gotta put down to medium.

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
Tbh other than upgrading the processor to something like a core2duo 6550 or 6750 4mb; a bit extra cooling and you can get extremely nice results with very simple overclocking...but if you cant overclock then actually a 4mb cache processor would benefit ur system even if you left it at normal clock speed. Other than that then the gfx card would be my next suggestion. You can get a 7800GTX for less than £180 easily now that the 8800's are out...n they handle most things fairly well :)

Alternatively if you wanted a complete overhaul then (and this is totally unnecessary for games) a QX7850 8MB quad core paired with an Asus Blitz Formula SE mainboard, 4GB PC9600 DDR2 RAM and 8800GTX gfx card would be quite nice I suppose...

Basic point is, ur system is fine and only one or two areas are worth improving for the results you want, rather than a complete upgrade... Its already a very decent machine.

Last edited:

Warlock

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 13, 2003
Scotland, UK.
There's no need to change your processor, get a decent cooler and it will overclock nicely, beats most amd out atm and overclocked can outdo a E6600 standard, Your ram is also fine, the only thing leting you down there is the GFX, 7300 are ok for basics, if you want to run higher than med you should look at getting a X1950 XT 512mb Card, decent priced and you will see a mega upgrade to your GFX at a small cost.

All in all,

Intel Core2Duo E6300 ( Overclocked )
2GB Corsair XMS 6400
AMD X1950 XT

Would run anythin nicely.

Last edited:

Senture

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Feb 8, 2004
His motherboard is going to be the big draw back on overclocking, the P5B can only do 350-400MHZ FSB b4 it ****s its self

Shard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 12, 2003
I don't really want to overclock. Tis all a bit too complicated for me. Sorry to bump this but I'm looking to upgrade now, so if a new mobo is needed then yeah, so be it.

I want to be able to run pretty much every game on high/best graphics with a good playable FPS. If anyone could tell me which products, I'm gonna upgrade to 4gb of the same RAM I have now, so just need mobo (if needs changing) new CPU and a new graphics card really. Budget of about...hmm...not sure really. Just reasonable, not best things but close to really. About 200 for processor and same for graphics card =]

EDIT: Almost forgot. PSU is 550W, and maybe some cooling would help too =] Just point me in the right direction of a decent cooler for CPU and RAM and Graphics if needed.

Last edited:

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
im using a MassCool CPU cooler it will work on the the Core Duo i find it's a good cpu cooler but ive got another 4 fans within my pc because my computer is within the cuboard

you could upgrade your CPU to a Core Duo Extreme or e6600 but depending on how much your willing to spend. if you do. lemme buy the the E6300 :P
/ancient

Last edited: