img extensions..

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Confused about these now (never was before today :p)

bullet.jpg JPG 17kb

bullet.png PNG 2.73kb

facebook_32.png PNG 2.39kb

Now check out the filesizes... why is the JPG 10x the size and why is the larger, more detailed Fbook icon still smaller than the red square png?

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
Confused about these now (never was before today :p)

View attachment 11633 JPG 17kb

View attachment 11634 PNG 2.73kb

View attachment 11635 PNG 2.39kb

Now check out the filesizes... why is the JPG 10x the size and why is the larger, more detailed Fbook icon still smaller than the red square png?

Different compression, some PNG are compressed, others could be BMP renamed to PNG, Jpeg is very poor for quality and compress but faster then PNG, so Larger file size.

This May be inaccurate or false information, but this is going from what I learnt when doing the Clash Files.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
I saved them all myself in photoshop btw.

I was always under the impression than JPG was the most compressed therfore smaller filesize than PNG

Jamie

LOMCN Developer
Developer
Mar 29, 2003
United Kingdom
I saved them all myself in photoshop btw.

I was always under the impression than JPG was the most compressed therfore smaller filesize than PNG

Naa Jpeg can be smaller but at the cost of quality. (Several types of compressions)

PNG is lossless quality and compressed to ZIP format (Equivalent), My preferred Image type.

Copy the image and Paste into MS Paint, Saving as PNG, your PNG of the Red square (2.7Kb) is actually only 127 bytes when saved with MS Paint.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
yeah i know of the quality loss in jpg I always used png too but this is for my website so I'm trying to minimize filesizes as much as poss.

You're right about Paint though lol, interesting!! FU photoshop

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
i never used jpeg anymore. if you have a wallpaper for example jpeg will be many mb's, where png will be much better quality in a few hundred kbs.

use png for website design imo, never jpg.

also quick tip if you're coding your own website, use a single sprite page, and get your css to load it once then just change the coords, your website will be displayed a lot quicker, and you only use a single image to update a whole website look.

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
yeah I had a little look at it last night I got the jist of it now just need to read up more on how to do it like

Lilcooldoode

LOMCN Developer
Developer
May 10, 2003
Yes
I'd have thought it was more to do with the bit depth of the original image and the type you want to save as.

example if you have a 32 bit image (basic bitmap quality) and save as a jpeg which only saves as a maximum 24bit image, youre not so much compressing the colour channels but the extra colours that are supported with the 32bit image need to be converted for a 24bit pallette. I always assumed thats why you get the colour loss and the smaller file size.

Robert

Actual Jesus
VIP
Jan 1, 1970
Yes.
For any software/websites I create I always use .png as the file size is much smaller and the image retains it's natural properties