In need of a hand.

Smidge

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 28, 2009
Dont think this is the right section but anyway.

Woke up this morning, turnt my PC on and it was making a horrible noise, and then it turned off.

I took the case off my PC only to notice that the CPU fan had somehow come off? Now how do i get that back on? I look on YouTube but they were all screw in CPU fans. Mine has some kind of clip, but where that goes i don't know!

Any ideas appreciated.

Shabalabalong

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 1, 2006
Brighton
If its a clip one then you should just have to push it in the 4 holes near your CPU.

I'd recommend taking both sides of your case off so you can support your motherboard, otherwise it'll bend loads.

Smidge

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 28, 2009
Thanks for the quick replies.

It seems like the computer is overheating, kind of like the fans arent doing their job. Makes the loudest noise then it just shuts down and turns off.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Clean it all out as much as poss, take RAM out and reseat it.

Turn it on with the case open and make sure all fans are spinning.

Smidge

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 28, 2009
Both fans are spinning etc, still makes that horibble noise and turns off when it goes to load desktop.

Thinking of putting a hammer through it...

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Did you put the cooler back on?

Could be that the thermal paste on the CPU needs replacing.

Smidge

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 28, 2009
How much would the paste cost? Im not all up with this computer stuff, i may just give my relative a call and see if he can do it because im baffled. Done everything you have said and still turns off.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Not much, £5 or something for a kit?

Cleaner, paste etc.

It's really simple, clean all the old stuff off using the cleaning solution, then put some new paste on it, spreading it all over the CPU and re-fit it.

Smidge

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 28, 2009
It seems like my CPU fan is broke, when its loading it makes a screaming noise then everything cuts out.

God i wish i was a computer wiz.

Gezza

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 23, 2008
uk
Probabley due to your cpu overheating it will cut out, if your sure it's the fan buy a new one they don't cost much.

Smidge

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 28, 2009
How would i stop my CPU overheating?

Sorry for the retarded questions.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
A working fan, and making sure it has thermal paste on.

What spec is your PC? What processor isi t?

Smidge

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 28, 2009
I wouldnt know unless i could log onto my area, i think my CPU is fried so ill just look at getting a new one or some of the paste as thats definitely worn.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Do you get a post beep? A working CPU should boot for a short while even without cooling.

Smidge

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 28, 2009
It works until it starts loading my desktop. Thats when the noises start and after about 30secs it shuts off :(

Shabalabalong

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jul 1, 2006
Brighton
Yeah, sounds like it's protecting your CPU from reaching dangerous temperatures.

Honestly, thermal paste is easy to do. Buy some from eBay, squirt a little blob on the CPU (the back of it - the metal bit facing towards you. You don't have to take the CPU out) and then use like a credit card and smooth it over like butter on toast. Plop the CPU fan back in and see if it works! Could also be the fan has cocked up, but it'd be cheaper and easier to see if its the thermal paste first. Otherwise, you'll have to find out what socket you are and buy the right CPU heatsink, making sure its the correct size for your case.

It could be a ram problem, but then again you wouldn't "hear" ram being odd, but you would with say the CPU.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
I'd recommend either buying thermal paste with a brush or just putting a blob in the middle of the heatsink and letting it squish to evenly spread it, especially if it's your first time applying it.

Smidge

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 28, 2009
Thanks for the tips guys appreciate it.

Could i buy this paste from places like PC World? This would be the first time applying paste to the CPU or even removing the case from my computer ^^.