Iphone 4G

Join Discord

liammc10

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Okay so I'm debating on getting one or not, pricing them and stuff, I'd just like to clarify a few things as I've never had one before.

I saw on Vodafone they do for £169 straight up and £30 a month afterwards over a 2 year contract you get, 300 mins, unlimited texts and 1GB net usage, is 1 GB enough? Also does anyone know what Vodafone 3G net coverage is like in the north east of england (newcastle) ?

Is the 16GB big enough or shud i add the extra £100 for 32?

I see the contract ends up at about £700/800, are they really that good?

Thanks in advance

/Liam-

Shank

The_Mafia
VIP
Dec 4, 2008
its iPhone 4 aint it? not 4G? they are stopping unlimited internet in contract deals or something ? 1GB surely wont be enough if your a fb addict? :( i really want the iPhone 4 though and deff worth getting the 32gb more space for stuff is always better

my current contract is 600min, unlim txt for £25 a month its well **** i got a year to go aswell till upgrade

liammc10

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
its iPhone 4 aint it? not 4G? they are stopping unlimited internet in contract deals or something ? 1GB surely wont be enough if your a fb addict? :( i really want the iPhone 4 though and deff worth getting the 32gb more space for stuff is always better

my current contract is 600min, unlim txt for £25 a month its well **** i got a year to go aswell till upgrade

Im not a fb addict tbh and I have a pc/wi-fi @home. Not sure id need the full 32 GB, atm i have a 8GB mem card in my phone and its only half full (or half empty which ever u like)- 16GB does seem quite small tho, for games/apps/music/films etc wen rly all i have on my fne atm is music.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
its iPhone 4 aint it? not 4G?
It's the 4th generation of iPhones, thus it's iPhone 4G.

After owning an iPhone for over a year now I can safely say I won't be getting another one. I won't ruin your wish of having one by listing my reasons why though.

Pricing advice: I went with PaYG, just save up for one and buy it. You'll be paying like 100% more if you go with contract.

Size: 16GB is probably enough (if you can get 16GB with it), a music album is around 150mb or so, you can get more music on that than you will ever listen to at one time. Apps are nothing, you'll be able to get loads on just 1GB of your space. However if you go with putting films and such on it as well you MAY want to go with a bigger size (I wasn't bothered about putting films on it, as if i'm at a place where i'm bored enough to watch a film i'm usually at a pc anyway, ie, college, home, friends house).

Data: 1GB a month should be enough if you don't use it much, just the odd webpage now and then and you'll be well under that. You can also check your e-mails out and about and not go anywhere near that. Just in-case though you may want to check if there are any free Wi-Fi's near where you usually go (work/school/college/general 'hangout' zone, whatever) as it's really handy and won't use up your bandwidth! Net coverage throughout the UK is usually alright in towns and such, doesn't really matter which network.

Hope i've covered enough, ask questions if you have any.

elohelMeight

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 8, 2004
Surrey
I thought 'G' was to do with the signal... is on my N900 anyway.

It's not a 4G phone, it's the iPhone 4.

Personally, I'd rather have the N900 or even the Nexus One.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
I thought 'G' was to do with the signal... is on my N900 anyway.

It's not a 4G phone, it's the iPhone 4.

Personally, I'd rather have the N900 or even the Nexus One.
The 3G "signal" also means 3rd generation, it's the latest type of network rules, above 2G (2nd generation).

Same goes for the iPhones, it's the 4th iPhone, so it's the iPhone 4G.

Don't test me boy.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
It's the 4th GENERATION of iPhones, thus it's an iPhone 4G.

They did it with iPods as well, look it up.

I had an iPod Classic 5G & my friend has an iPod Classic 6G. Saying we both had iPod Classics would be wrong as his is significantly better than mine was, as it was the upgrade.

Last edited:

elohelMeight

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Feb 8, 2004
Surrey
Or... the iPod Classic 5/6.
You are arguing it even though I've provided a link directly to apple's UK page... where it calls the new model the iPhone 4, not the 4G.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Like getting blood out of a stone.

Whatever, call it what you want but it's the 4th generation of iPhones and is reffered to as the iPhone 4G, making the OP's title correct.

Last edited:

liammc10

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
It's the 4th generation of iPhones, thus it's iPhone 4G.

After owning an iPhone for over a year now I can safely say I won't be getting another one. I won't ruin your wish of having one by listing my reasons why though.

Pricing advice: I went with PaYG, just save up for one and buy it. You'll be paying like 100% more if you go with contract.

Size: 16GB is probably enough (if you can get 16GB with it), a music album is around 150mb or so, you can get more music on that than you will ever listen to at one time. Apps are nothing, you'll be able to get loads on just 1GB of your space. However if you go with putting films and such on it as well you MAY want to go with a bigger size (I wasn't bothered about putting films on it, as if i'm at a place where i'm bored enough to watch a film i'm usually at a pc anyway, ie, college, home, friends house).

Data: 1GB a month should be enough if you don't use it much, just the odd webpage now and then and you'll be well under that. You can also check your e-mails out and about and not go anywhere near that. Just in-case though you may want to check if there are any free Wi-Fi's near where you usually go (work/school/college/general 'hangout' zone, whatever) as it's really handy and won't use up your bandwidth! Net coverage throughout the UK is usually alright in towns and such, doesn't really matter which network.

Hope i've covered enough, ask questions if you have any.

I would have films on it, but once I'd watched it they'd probs get deleted.. Why wouldn't you get another :p ? And thanks for the info =-)

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
I just hate how little you can do with them without jailbreaking, and they are doing everything they can to make that impossible. The new iOS enables a lot of things that you can't do with the old one but you can with jailbreaking, so they are getting ideas off people who jailbreak, it's obvious. I don't know why they just don't allow it imho!

I'd probably go with HTC if I was to get another phone, had my iPhone for over a year (without insurance!).

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Yeah it is, the Legend looks nice but the Desire looks pretty awesome. I don't like the look of the Wildfire though.

Nightrider

~{GoD}~
VIP
Feb 21, 2004
Southampton,Uk
I'm working for a phone company now, the Desire is a great phone but it's still not as good as a iphone Imo, the Iphone 4 looks alright tbh, (not sure if its been posted) but if your on O2, you can pay a extra 200 pounds on top of your existing contract say its 1 year left, £20 a month so that would be 240+200 a extra year on top = 640, which Imo isn't a bad deal for a new phone.
-Dan

liammc10

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 8, 2010
Why not jailbreak it then? What happens? I've heard of this but I'm a noob to anything Apple.

Nightrider

~{GoD}~
VIP
Feb 21, 2004
Southampton,Uk
Jailbreaking a iphone, at work if a phones jailbroken and we go to update it, it basicly screws the phone, i jail broke my old iphone and it ****ed luckly i got a new one from work, also it voids the warrenty of the contract in the T&C, it can be good, i enjoyed mine being jail broke for months until i forgot one day, updated it via Itunes and it ****ed, luckly 2 days later i cracked the screen sold it to envirophone for £117 lol.
-Dan

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
Unless you're a complete idiot (Sorry Dan) then jailbreaking an iPhone is harmless, it enables a lot more options as well as getting Apps for free (illegally).