Is it worth using Internet Security?

Slanesh

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 6, 2004
Stoke, England
Hey all, was just wondering if it would actually be a good idea to use an Internet Security package such as Norton or something else to stop Dos attacks, etc?

I currently have mine configured to let me host a server fine (well, I haven't yet tested it online - just offline tests so far), but would it actually make a difference towards preventing malicious attacks on the server?

EDIT: Oops, wrong section >_>

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
Slanesh said:
Hey all, was just wondering if it would actually be a good idea to use an Internet Security package such as Norton or something else to stop Dos attacks, etc?

I currently have mine configured to let me host a server fine (well, I haven't yet tested it online - just offline tests so far), but would it actually make a difference towards preventing malicious attacks on the server?

EDIT: Oops, wrong section >_>

Honestly, in my opinion anything like that is overkill. The Windows firewall supplied with all XP Pro's, SP2 and Win2k3 is more than enough for a server setup. Packages such as NIS are designed with idiots in mind, that is - not sophisticated enough for a power user, and with constant interruptions to ensure the user might have a clue whats going on (which more often than not, they dont).

Unless you plan to do things such as IP blocking with rules, filterting and all that other rubbish designed to stop machines ran by idiots turning into Zombies, your solution is unnessacery.

As for misc attacks on your mirservers OPEN PORTS (which is what you have to use), there is nothing any firewall can do. Your at the mercy of gates which inhabit 3000,7000,7100,7200. The windows ICF is just as good as Norton for fighting against attacks on closed ports (ignores em).

/Leo

Slanesh

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Sep 6, 2004
Stoke, England
LeoCrasher said:
Honestly, in my opinion anything like that is overkill. The Windows firewall supplied with all XP Pro's, SP2 and Win2k3 is more than enough for a server setup. Packages such as NIS are designed with idiots in mind, that is - not sophisticated enough for a power user, and with constant interruptions to ensure the user might have a clue whats going on (which more often than not, they dont).

Unless you plan to do things such as IP blocking with rules, filterting and all that other rubbish designed to stop machines ran by idiots turning into Zombies, your solution is unnessacery.

As for misc attacks on your mirservers OPEN PORTS (which is what you have to use), there is nothing any firewall can do. Your at the mercy of gates which inhabit 3000,7000,7100,7200. The windows ICF is just as good as Norton for fighting against attacks on closed ports (ignores em).

/Leo

Okay, thanks for the info. That answer covers exactly what I wanted to know :)

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
┼▲Myth▲┼ said:
Go on MSN dude
stupid 20 characters
Please don't do that again. I will ban you if you do it, it is just so annoying -.-, the PM function is there to be used.