Is there room for another server?

smoochy boys on tour

Tashohnie

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 13, 2009
A long time ago I was making a server, it was near release and had some cool features at the time many of which have more than likely been done or attempted since then.

Now my question - is there room for a new server when you have servers out there like 4H ( not a dig by the way ) who have an amazing team, who have constant updates and who have an experienced server team?

I mean my coding knowledge is restricted to that of what I can do with NPCs and my ideas ( I have some really cool ones by the way ). How would it compete with the likes of a server like 4H?

The only thing I think I could do which would attract people is have a server where you can't buy items (not a dig at any server by the way) have all items received via in game methods like bosses etc.

What rate though, no one wants a low rate due to the risk of spending the time leveling and then losing all their work, I personally don't like high and there are plenty of medium rate servers out.

I have no issue with paying for everything also I'll be upgraded to a 100mb line soon and have no issue chucking an i7/12gb/ssd server on that line.

Just wondered before I bother wasting time as I'll be going at it solo.

By the way I only use 4H as an example as I've not played mir in a long time, also I'm not trying to take anyone from 4H if I make a server I just used them as an example. Servers can coexist right? Although if I'm only going to get 5 users then I cba.

Here are some of the features I was working on with the old server, there were loads more I didn't list but meh. I had a lot of interest in it back then from people on MSN and on forums I use but not so sure now, seems mir is a lot smaller than it used to be.
Features

Super bosses
Once you have slain all the boss monsters of a dungeon and collected the parts of them you may venture forth and seek out the Dungeons Guardian. Once you have shown you have slayed all the bosses he will summon forth his Super Boss Pet to do battle, these super bosses contain riches and items beyond your imagination. Better than any items the normal bosses can drop.

Super Super Bosses
Once you have beaten all the Dungeon Guardians pets and collected the parts you shall seek out the Gate Keeper… Are you ready to face your ultimate challenge yet? Fame, riches and dungeons await those who can.

Spell Quest
You will be sent on a quest that only the greatest fighters can complete. Upon completion you will be rewarded with a choice… You will be given 1 spell from another class to learn… Not all spells are learnable. Are you a Tao who wondered what it would be like to wield the power of cross half moon? Are you a warrior who requires red poison? Are you a wizard that needs that little extra boost of AC?

Last man standing
For the start those who can prove their worth will be rewarded with guilds so they can recruit other warriors to follow them. Heaven or Hell, who will get rewarded? Which ever side wins last man standing the most in a weekly period will get a bonus for their side.

Gladiator PvP
This will be a GM run event and will be for at least 2 hours a week, depending how many people wish to participate. Players can register to become part of a Gladiatorial team. The teams will be 2v2, 3v3, 5v5. The team who is the top of each division each month will get points, with these points they can buy items, some of the best items in game that only the hardest bosses can drop.

Player housing
Monsters from all over the land can drop materials required to build a player house, your house can sit up to 10 players. Everyday house owners may spawn a random boss and will gain experience bonuses every day. There are other benefits but you will have to own a house to find out 

Para/Pro these will be very very rare.

Gems will be common, orbs will be rare.

No item name/stats the same as euro.

Unique start levelling kit.
Your starter kit will level as you level Every 5 levels your items will gain new stats. These will not be as good as the stats of items that drop from monsters but it will give unlucky players a chance to still compete.

Item levels and stats
Every 5 -10 levels you will have the chance for new items for example a level 30 normal item would be dc 1-7, a level 35 item dc 1-8, a level 40 item dc 1-9. However a rare item would be level 30 dc 1-9.

FF/Curse/TDB will be semi rare.

Daily exp bonus, every day players will gain a 30 min 20% exp increase.

Battle room
So your bored nothing much to do… Enter the battle room! Each room presents it’s challenge. Get to the end for the ultimate challenge and some very good items!

Custom maps
over 50% of the servers maps will be custom.

Bosses
There will be plenty of boss monsters in the game, no guilds will be able to have all the monsters on lock down so it will give every player/guild a chance to equip them selfs.

Monthly guild vs guild knock out tournament.

Item re modelling
These items are very rare but each monster has a chance of dropping a remodel potion. Should you have a really good stat armour but dislike the skin but you have a rubbish looking armour with rubbish stats, you can merge the two.

Tao and Wizard pet quests.
The higher you get the better monsters you can tame, hard to complete quests result in rewards.

Lots of quests for both Heaven and Hell.

PK Map
This will only be accessible by player killers. There will be monsters there that yield half exp of normal monsters.

Caves/Bosses/Super Bosses/Super Super Bosses to suit all levels.

Daily quests
Every day there will be quests depending on Heaven or Hell is what you will have to do…

Unique maps just for heaven and hell.

Hidden caves
Every cave/leveling place/dungeon will have several hidden tiles, one tile may take you to a room with exp mobs, 1 may take you to a room with a boss. One may take you to the same map but with harder mobs that yield more exp.

A lot of the above will be GM driven; currently it is just me working on this. I have more features but I need to test these before I start saying that they will be in game.

Last edited:

Exwizz

Legend
Legendary
Feb 1, 2010
Newcastle
Yes thier is.. all the current servers out atm are either **** and boring or there is some sort of curruption going on.

ps. if you are planning on putting a server up use heros files :P

Last edited:

Tashohnie

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 13, 2009
Yes thier is.. all the current servers out atm are either **** and boring or there is some sort of curruption going on.

ps. if you are planning on putting a server up use heros files :P
I keep hearing that. Are they open or closed source?

Tai

HEAD CAPTAIN
Staff member
Administrator
May 11, 2003
United Kingdom
Yes I am, you say open source, someone else says they're closed. I click the link it says open... It's a fair and logical question.

Seemed blatantly obvious to me.

@Gezza not really closed as such, you just need permission

Tashohnie

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 13, 2009
Seemed blatantly obvious to me.

@Gezza not really closed as such, you just need permission

While it does, the fact it says "open" does go against what several people have said so I wanted to check before I got any files as I don't want to get the wrong ones.

squall777

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 3, 2004
1.Dont use hero files unless you are an experienced server maker.Those clowns that are making now hero servers have no idea on what they doing ending with **** or OPed classes.Pvp is pointless on hero files with **** like instant run no tdb etc.Unless you are THE legend of mir dont go near those files.

2.Dont make a low rate.You seem to realise what your powers are and that you cant do much other than the odd nice script.Go med-high rate so at least IF the server lacks content per lvl lvling wont be that hard.All low rates fail big time since day 1 till day 20 they usually close.

3.I will be honest with you.Since you seem to actually want a successful server...well... that aint gonna happen.Or at least the chances are slim.I personnally dunno you but current/recent server makers have no idea on what they doing and they end up wasting their time making a **** server with 5users like u said.

4.If tho u somehow think you still can succeed in making a decent server i would suggest you copy FH or OS obviously in your own way.That means make a huge item DB, with drop files that make sense(rare items but hunting is rewarding) and steady leveling with balanced caves.

These are my suggestions.I tried to be as honest with you as possible.

squall777

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 3, 2004
Neway if you keep working on your server use 0 euro items.Make everything custom.

Tashohnie

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jan 13, 2009
Yes mate, I always thought custom items are defo the way to go. Would never use same items from euro :)

Shady

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 5, 2004
i personaly like euro items and names lol...

on a med rate server id say use items for for noob/med lvling
then have totaly custum sets for higher up. i love rings like osr/boundless / thunder ring / spirit reformer / dss/sowg/bos love the looks and the names.

iJam

To the rhythm
VIP
Oct 8, 2007
London
i personaly like euro items and names lol...

on a med rate server id say use items for for noob/med lvling
then have totaly custum sets for higher up. i love rings like osr/boundless / thunder ring / spirit reformer / dss/sowg/bos love the looks and the names.

same as me, ive kept all euro items the same changed stats slightly and upped some of the levels for eg: sowg is now lvl 65 so after lvl 65 thats were most the custom stuff comes in, added a couple of items inbetween euro kit changed the levels and stats to balance them.

Last edited:

squall777

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Apr 3, 2004
same as me, ive kept all euro items the same changed stats slightly and upped some of the levels for eg: sowg is now lvl 65 so after lvl 65 thats were most the custom stuff comes in, added a couple of items inbetween euro kit changed the levels and stats to balance them.

Well if u have changed stats then np.Dont see the point of having 43lvls full of items with stats every1 has seen.Use em but with random stats.Also since some of the euro items have way better looks than most custom items might as well use em as rare sets.

Neway just make the server custom.By that i dont mean change item names or mob names.

iJam

To the rhythm
VIP
Oct 8, 2007
London
yeah item names mobs all the same and in there right places, thing i dislike most is when you see like a ice mob for example in bdd or zt.
it just dosent look right prefare to keep the original feel, ino people like new stuff but thats were new caves come in to keep them away from orig oh nd am refaring to my server not this 1 (still bein developed)

Goodluck with this thor