Laptop advice.

Join Discord

holly

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Mar 26, 2003
http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/lapto...32l4eb-15-5-laptop-21962940-pdt.html#longDesc

*EDIT* Typical, PCWorld currently doing maintenance on their site but its a Sony VAIO SVF1532L4EB.

Above is a laptop i'm thinking of buying. I'm far from competent at knowing whats good and what isn't but this has caught my eye. Looks are important and this ticks that box.

I'm hopeing it will have no trouble running Mir as my current 6 year old one is running at 20FPS at the moment and its a struggle!

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Ardbeg

Legend
Legendary
Aug 8, 2004
Southern England
That'll run Mir easily.
The only issue is with Win 8 and some versions of Mir, Ruby especially, show transparent text entry boxes in game and the chat so it can be awkward seeing what you type.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
my advise on buying a laptop is to not buy a laptop.. you could make a pretty nice pc for £700

holly

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Mar 26, 2003
I want something portable as I work away during the week and i have like 3 places of residence (home, girlfriends and work).

At £700, am i getting value for money with this?

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
I'm interested in doing some shopping for you as I'm not up to date with laptops myself but I'll need some more data.

What else do you plan on doing with the laptop other than Mir and assuming web browsing?

Slipmatt

Why the f are we still here?
Veteran
May 10, 2009
County Durham
That laptop is more than capable of running mir at a high FPS, my PC has windows 8 on it and I'm playing Chronicles atm and iv not had any issues what so ever.

One thing I do suggest is if you get norton pre installed on it, uninstall it straight away before you download any mir, it tends to change the mir.exe formats meaning you can't load mir via the exe and in my case had to use the patcher to start game.