Lawsuit against Microsofts Anti Piracy tool.

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Brian Johnson has my full support.

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/275780_msftsuit29.html

This is just plain stupid how Microsoft fight against piracy. One of the main things that puzzle me is why the hell does the anti piracy program check for windows validity all the time. It's just like checking a driver to see if he has a driving license after every 300 metres... Also the fact that every fifth LEGAL windows copy gets blocked due to Microsoft WGA being in conflict with antivirus software.

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
Yep, same.

Its a stupid tool. It should be removed, because although "illegal" versions of windows canot to windows updates, they can still get update patchs for each month which includes the latest microsoft patchs etc lol...

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
Originally I was going to post a big rant on why Ragnar's opinion was just so completely wrong and unfitting for any capitalist free market. Then I realised Microsoft was technically in the wrong.

Yes MS has a right to protect its interests, yes its wrong to pirate and yes users are idiots for letting windows update install anything it wants without prompt (especially if they're pirating lol).

However, that doesn't go to mean that MS was right to include such a 'different' program within the WU system, without alerting users. I can't see anywhere between my desktop and enabling WU which tells me clearly that installed programs may communicate with Microsoft. That much is wrong, and that much Microsoft knows. Which is one of the smaller reasons why its changed its licensing agreement.

/Leo

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
LeoCrasher said:
Originally I was going to post a big rant on why Ragnar's opinion was just so completely wrong and unfitting for any capitalist free market. Then I realised Microsoft was technically in the wrong.

Yes MS has a right to protect its interests, yes its wrong to pirate and yes users are idiots for letting windows update install anything it wants without prompt (especially if they're pirating lol).

However, that doesn't go to mean that MS was right to include such a 'different' program within the WU system, without alerting users. I can't see anywhere between my desktop and enabling WU which tells me clearly that installed programs may communicate with Microsoft. That much is wrong, and that much Microsoft knows. Which is one of the smaller reasons why its changed its licensing agreement.

/Leo
I was going to reply to urbanfox saying that Microsoft should have notified users what they are installing, however i decided not to as i would probably have gotten a reply saying something similar to "but then the people using illegal copies of windows, would simply not install the update". It's a valid fact, but i'm still not happpy how Microsoft ''secretly'' installs stuff which connects to Microsoft's servers without the user knowing it.

SkyDragon

.::Mario Ftw::.
Golden Oldie
Sep 10, 2004
West-Yorkshire :)
can you get caught using windows copy ( not a valid 1 ) if u turn automatic updates off ( cause ive never turned them on)?

pm me anwer plz cause i wont read this thread again most likely

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
SkyDragon said:
can you get caught using windows copy ( not a valid 1 ) if u turn automatic updates off ( cause ive never turned them on)?

pm me anwer plz cause i wont read this thread again most likely
I've heard of people somehow having Microsoft WGA even when Automatic Updates were turned off.