Logic Questions

wanadoo

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Oct 14, 2005
Ill post the answers tomoz, enjoy :)
1. Cathy has six pairs of black gloves and six pairs of brown gloves in her drawer. In complete darkness, how many gloves must she take from the drawer in order to be sure to get a pair that match? Think carefully!!

2. Mom, Dad, and 2 kids have come to a river, and they find a boat. It is small and can only carry one adult or 2 kids at a time. Both kids are good rowers, but how can the wholefamily reach the other side of the river?

3. Why can't you take a picture of a Indian woman with hair curlers?

4. What is the largest possible number you can write using only 2 digits - just 2 digits, nothing else?

5. Before Mt. Everest was discovered, what was the tallest mountain in the world?

6. Because cigars cannot be entirely smoked, a hobo who collects cigar butts can make a cigar to smoke out of every 5 butts that he finds. Today, he has collected 25 cigar butts. How many cigars will he be able to smoke?

7. Jenn is facetious. She is also abstemious. She gets pneumonia. Given those clues, what is the only American tree she will like?

8. How many birth days does the average man have?

9. Someone at a party introduces you to your mother's only sister's husband's sister in law. He has no brothers. What do you call this lady?

10. Which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?

11. Two planes take off at the same exact moment. They are flying across the Atlantic. One leaves New York and is flying to Paris at 500 miles per hour. The other leaves Paris and is flying to New York at only 450 miles per hour ( because of a strong head wind ). Which one will be closer to Paris when they meet?

12. A carpenter was in a terrible hurry. He had to work as quickly as possible to cut a very heavy 10 foot plank into 10 equal sections. If it takes 1 minute per cut, how long will it take him to get the 10 equal pieces?

13. Why are 1898 silver dollars worth more than 1897 silver dollars?

14. What English word can have 4 of its 5 letters removed and still retain it's original pronunciation?

15. Johnny's mother had three children. The first child was named April. The second child was named May. What was the third child's name?

16. In your sock drawer, you have a ratio of 5 pairs of blue socks, 4 pairs of brown socks, and 6 pairs of black socks. In complete darkness, how many socks would you need to pull out to get a matching pair of the same color?

17. How can a woman living in New Jersey, legally marry 3 men, without ever getting a divorce, be widowed, or becoming legally separated?

18. A woman goes into a hardware store to buy something for her house. When asked the price, the clerk replies, "the price of one is twelve cents, the price of forty-four is twenty-four cents, and the price a hundred and forty-four is thirty-six cents. What does the woman want to buy?

19. If there are 5 apples on the counter and you take away 2, how many do you have?

20. If, having only one match, on a freezing winter day, you entered a room which contained a lamp, a kerosene heater, and a wood burning stove, which should you light first.

Bonus Question

21.Two hunters Mr. A and Mr. B meet in Mr. A's house.
Mr. B: Oh, what a beautiful carpet you have.
Mr. A: Yeah, it is made of bear's fur.
Mr. B: How did you hunt the bear?
Mr. A: Well, (Light his pipe
smilez.gif
), I started from the camp, and went 1 mile to the south, There I saw the bear.
I followed him exactly 1 mile to the east. There I shot him. From this point I returned to the camp, exactly 1 mile to the north.
The question is what is the color of the bear?

Last edited:

bobblyben

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 22, 2003
Ill have a shot at the first few cos i cant be arsed to read em all at this time.

1)3 gloves (assuming they fit both hands)

2)2 kids go one way, then 1 comes back, then mom goes across, then other kid comes back, then repeat for dad, then both kids go across lastly

3)no idea

4)9^9??

5)mt everest, just it hadnt been discovered

6)6 cigars. he combines 25 butts to make 5 whole, smokes those to create 5 butts for a 6th whole cigar.

7)dunno

8)if taken literally then he has just one, the day he was born.

9)the lady is "someone" so call her whatever.

10)neither they are both a pound.

May attempt the last 10 tomorrow. nite nite

[edit] ooh just had to have a go at the bonus one. Took me a while and im not 100% but here goes.

It says he went 1 mile S then 1 mile E then 1 mile N and returned to the same place. This doesnt work out unless you start at the north pole. And by my reckoning that must mean the bear is a polar bear and thus white.

Last edited:

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
1. 3

2. mom and 2 kids goes across, drops mom and one kid off, other goes back and gets dad.

3. because they would brake the camera

4. 99

5. Mt. Everest

6. none. you cant smoke filters.

7. A jewish one.

8. 20 (etheopians lower this average by dieing quickly)

9. Miss.

10. neither. fool.

11. they'll both be at the same point, so neither. idiot.

12. 9 minutes

13. tony blair

14. hache

15. Johnny. pillock.

16. 4

17. goto israel

18. something. noob.

19. 2.

20. the match

i have to say. this took my 10 mins, and most were quite easy.

wanadoo

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Oct 14, 2005
bobblyben said:
Ill have a shot at the first few cos i cant be arsed to read em all at this time.

1)3 gloves (assuming they fit both hands)

2)2 kids go one way, then 1 comes back, then mom goes across, then other kid comes back, then repeat for dad, then both kids go across lastly

3)no idea

4)9^9??

5)mt everest, just it hadnt been discovered

6)6 cigars. he combines 25 butts to make 5 whole, smokes those to create 5 butts for a 6th whole cigar.

7)dunno

8)if taken literally then he has just one, the day he was born.

9)the lady is "someone" so call her whatever.

10)neither they are both a pound.

May attempt the last 10 tomorrow. nite nite

[edit] ooh just had to have a go at the bonus one. Took me a while and im not 100% but here goes.

It says he went 1 mile S then 1 mile E then 1 mile N and returned to the same place. This doesnt work out unless you start at the north pole. And by my reckoning that must mean the bear is a polar bear and thus white.

very nice not many peeps hav got the polar bear one. congratulations

wanadoo

Banned
Banned
Dedicated Member
Oct 14, 2005
Farril said:
1. 3

2. mom and 2 kids goes across, drops mom and one kid off, other goes back and gets dad.

3. because they would brake the camera

4. 99

5. Mt. Everest

6. none. you cant smoke filters.

7. A jewish one.

8. 20 (etheopians lower this average by dieing quickly)

9. Miss.

10. neither. fool.

11. they'll both be at the same point, so neither. idiot.

12. 9 minutes

13. tony blair

14. hache

15. Johnny. pillock.

16. 4

17. goto israel

18. something. noob.

19. 2.

20. the match

i have to say. this took my 10 mins, and most were quite easy.

took u 10 mins cus u got just about every one wrong

Far

tsniffer
Staff member
Developer
May 19, 2003
atleast 20 of those 20 are right. its your answers that are wrong fool.

Hate

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jun 8, 2005
1. 13. She could possibly take out 6 black left hand gloves and then 6 brown left hand gloves, the next one would have to be either the right hand or left hand match.

2. The kids row across. One comes back. An adult goes over, and the kid comes back. Both kids row across again, and one comes back. The other adult rows across and the kid comes back. Both kids row across again.

3. You can't take a picture with hair curlers you need a camera!

4. 99, this is 9x9x9x9x9x9x9x9x9 or 387,420,489.

5. Mount Everest has always been the tallest mountain, even before being discovered!

6. 6, he makes 5 originals from the 25 butts he found, and after he smokes them he has 5 butts left for another cigar.

7. The Sequoia. She only likes words with all 5 vowels in them. The Sequoia is the only American tree that contains all 5 vowels.

8. One, he may have many Birthdays, but only one birth day!

9. Mother, or Mom, or whatever you call your maternal relative.

10. The answer is actually feathers.

11. They will both be the same distance from Paris when they meet.

12. 9 minutes. It only takes 9 cuts to get 10 equal sections.

13. $1,898.00 is one more silver dollar than $1,897.00

14. Queue and thanks to some of our visitors here is another answer: aitch - take away the aitc and you are left with "h".

15. It has to be Johnny. He's the third child!

16. 4. If you don't agree, try it yourself!

17. It's her job, she's a Justice of the Peace or a Minister.

18. House numbers.

19. You have 2 apples. There are 3 left on the counter, but you have 2.

20. The match of course!

21. The bear is white (polar bear).

PS. Yea i know, I'm better than all of you, kiss my toes.

:doggy!:

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
1. 13. She could possibly take out 6 black left hand gloves and then 6 brown left hand gloves, the next one would have to be either the right hand or left hand match.
2. The kids row across. One comes back. An adult goes over, and the kid comes back. Both kids row across again, and one comes back. The other adult rows across and the kid comes back. Both kids row across again.
3. You can't take a picture with hair curlers you need a camera!
4. 99, this is 9x9x9x9x9x9x9x9x9 or 387,420,489.
**NOTE: We get lots of mail on this question and for some time we accepted that using factorials with the two digits would also be a solution for this one. However, as one of our visitors recently pointed out, that allows the use of the infinity sign as well. So we now ask the question emphasizing that only 2 digits are used in this riddle and answer. Therefore our original answer stands. HOWEVER, many visitors have suggested that the 2 digits refers to 2 fingers on your hand (fingers=digits) and that said, well, then you could write just about anything using symbols, etc. - big, big numbers!! Thanks everyone for your input!!
**NOTE: Another visitor, Mark suggests that there is indeed another solution for this riddle: There is another solution if you follow your current wording to the letter. You dont mention that you may not repeatedly use the 2 digits you choose. The definition of a digit is :-"One of the elements that collectively form a system of numbers" Any single integer in our regular base10 numerical system is therefore a digit (0 through 9). But 100001 is a number made from 2 digits and 2 digits only, nothing else. Its just the digit 1 is repeated twice and 0 is repeated 4 times. If you discount the use of the infinity sign (which is technically a digit of base10 but ruins the answer) then the my answer is 1 followed by as many 0s as you can possibly write (an infinite number of 0s) - since this will always be two more than as many 9s as you can ever write with an 8 on the end (to preserve the 2 digit rule!).
NB - You can also argue this the other way round i suppose - that if youve just written 1 and as many 0s as you possibly can, someone else could come along and write as many 9s as that and stick an 8 on the end for good measure.....the infinite paradox rears its head again!
A bit pedantic i know but as that's the point of these riddles i just thought id point it out!
(Thanks Mark!)

5. Mount Everest has always been the tallest mountain, even before being discovered!
*NOTE: Here is an interesting rebuttal on this answer: Everyone knows that Mount Everest is the tallest mountain in the world, right? Well, if you want to get technical about it, the answer is NO. Mount Everest stands 29,028 feet tall. From top to bottom, it's taller than any other mountain-whose bottom is the surface of the earth. Here's the catch: If you add what's underneath, then Mount Everest isn't the tallest mountain. The winner then is Mauna Kea, a huge, very tall volcano on the Big Island of Hawaii (called Hawaii). Mauna Kea stretches 13,796 above water and 19,680 underwater, for a total of 33,476! So if you say that it's the whole mountain that counts, then Mauna Kea is the tallest. Thanks to Lawrence and friend for this info!
AND from Ashton - I think it should be noted, that our friend who left the note about Mauna Kea should know that Mountains are measured in distance from sea level, and his height given for Mt. Everest is wrong, he is seven feet short, it has since grown (remeasured in 2000)
AND from Michael - I have discovered two errors in your answers and notes. For one, Mount Everest is only the tallest mountain above sea level. You also mention that Mauna Kea is the tallest mountain from the bottom of the sea, making it the tallest mountain from the base to the peak. But you fail to mention Mount Chimborazo in the Andes of Ecuador. Mount Chimborazo is the tallest mountain from the center of the earth. Since Mount Chimborazo is on the equator, it is boosted much higher from the core. In terms of from sea level, Mount Everest is 8,848 meters and Mount Chimborazo is only 6,267 meters. But in terms of from the core of the earth, Mount Chimborazo is 6,384,404 meters and Mount Everest is only 6,381,670. This makes the peak of Mount Chimborazo 2,734 meters higher than the peak of Mount Everest. I believe that this should at least be mentioned in the answer or as a note.

6. 6, he makes 5 originals from the 25 butts he found, and after he smokes them he has 5 butts left for another cigar.
7. The Sequoia. She only likes words with all 5 vowels in them. The Sequoia is the only American tree that contains all 5 vowels.
Michael also notes: Also, the Sequoia is not the only North American tree with all five vowels. The Southern Magnolia, Quaking Aspen, Russian-Olive (which is in North America), and Euphorbia (it might) all have all five vowels too and are North American. I admit that the Southern Magnolia and Quaking Aspen are two words, and the Russian-Olive has a hyphen, but I see no reason for not including the Euphorbia. I hope that you at least mention these in the answers for the logic riddles.
8. One, he may have many Birthdays, but only one birth day!
9. Mother, or Mom, or whatever you call your maternal relative.
10. The answer is actually feathers. We need proof though! AND SO: From Joni- One pound of feathers is more than one pound of gold because the "pound" unit is different. The most commonly used system of weights in the US and Great Britain is the avoirdupois system, where 1 pound = 16 ounces. This is used for most solid objects, except for precious metals and gems; gold is weighed by a special system, called the troy system, where one troy pound = 12 troy ounces. Where one avoirdupois ounce is 28.35 grams, one troy ounce is about 31.10 grams. To convert from avoirdupois pounds to troy pounds, multiply the first by 1.2152 to get its equivalent in troy measurement. Therefore, one "pound" of feathers in troy weight is actually 1.2152 pounds (one avoirdupois pound), compared to one troy pound of gold. And the feathers win. Thanks Joni!!
11. They will both be the same distance from Paris when they meet!! *See note below!

12. 9 minutes. It only takes 9 cuts to get 10 equal sections.

*NOTE: Several visitors take issue with this answer so here are alternate answers: (Maybe your's, too)!

Gonzo and jimminie write: u can make 10 equal pieces of wood from the plank in just 5 cuts. The first cuts down the middle and the rest width ways. Hows about that.....
Which lead this response from Bryan: If it takes one minute to make a normal cut through a heavy plank (which is less than 10 feet wide, I'm sure), it takes MORE THAN one minute to cut through the entire LENGTH of 10 feet. Since we don't know HOW WIDE the plank is, that alternative suggestion won't tell us how many MINUTES it takes to cut lengthwise so it's not a valid suggestion. It only shows us a way to make 10 equal pieces with less than 9 cuts, but the question wanted to know how many MINUTES it takes, not how few cuts you can make.

13. $1,898.00 is one more silver dollar than $1,897.00

14. Queue and thanks to some of our visitors here is another answer: aitch - take away the aitc and you are left with "h".

15. It has to be Johnny. He's the third child!

16. 4. If you don't agree, try it yourself!

17. It's her job, she's a Justice of the Peace or a Minister.

18. House numbers.

19. You have 2 apples. There are 3 left on the counter, but you have 2.

20. The match of course!

who loves google!
/Leo