looking for a host

LightningStar

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
May 28, 2007
Essex, UK
hi peeps, i currently working on some mir3 files not stating what king as of yet but im looking for a good dedicated server host to host it ideally less the £100 a month anyone know of any around?

ive looked at 1and1.co.uk and vrtservers.net few other but none reli interested me

many thanks

lina

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 28, 2010
Poland
How about get a normal pc and put it in a cupboard, keep it 24/7 there. Yeah much cheaper.

Also if u say a lot of people gonna play, i really dont think so as there is little people playing mir, and also if its ur first time server it should make things worse.

I suggest doing what i wrote below and if there will be quite a number of people complaining for lags, then get a dedi.

LightningStar

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
May 28, 2007
Essex, UK
wot sort of band with/traffic are we looking at if i host it from home ? obvs depending on how many users but how much bandwith does 1 user use?

ive done work on a few servers and my brother is expert at it im sure we will be fine fanx.

Rawwwr

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Feb 27, 2010
I have the speed on my signature, and I never get lag on any of my servers :)
And I used to get 25+ players online :)

Gigabit

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 21, 2010
Ideally for a single server to run with say 25/50 users on a home connection, you would need around 10/15mb on download and 3/5mb on upload for smooth lag free playing. Though you can get away with minimal lag on a 10mb connection with 1mb upload.

LightningStar

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
May 28, 2007
Essex, UK
well im running 50meg with virgin media how many u reckon i can get away with before i have them on the phone askin what the hell is goin on? lol

jonathan508

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 27, 2007
Europe
u have 5 mb upload u can host more than 150 player with good pc (triple core- quad core/ 4 gb ram)

Draka

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jan 22, 2008
With triple core? Peope if you will make a good server from Mir Quad Core is the best way, but if you want to make the future, Core i7 or if you dont have enough money you can try with AMD Phenom Series to Quad :P