Looking for an host

• Remember! Never use the same account usernames and password across different servers!
Join Discord

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Either looking for an host, or some prices on paying for my own hosting for a server (Via a proper company, not to pay someone to host it on their PC).

I have plans to take over a server, but to do that, I need a host to work with me.

i have a couple of people in mind who could help me update the server, and the files are pretty good files to start with.

Let me know if you know any good deals, or are willing to be the host for me.

forspinki

Legend
Legendary
Oct 23, 2006
Handan, China
i think the cheapest dedi u will find will probs be bout £150 for a decent spec but not sure maybe somebody else knows somewhere cheaper

HaRDCOR3

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 4, 2007
Skyline = legend

i'd definetly play your server

any chance of saying what server you're taking over? :)

2dope

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 15, 2005
Cyrus? What about the same server place that Ben is using? For Sim specs to that I got quoted £200 a month in the UK
/2dope

2dope

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 15, 2005
When looking for a host you have to take a few things in to account...
How much do they charge for going over your limit? By this I mean if your host gets compramized and they use untold amounts of BW then you will be liable for the bill unless they are in a country that recognizes and has laws for internet crimes. Hireing a tech out to fix a problem, if you reboot the server and it doesnt come up or other things your looking to pay £20-40 a hour for them to come out. Even if they are there 5 mins your billed a hour.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Its alot of money... to run a mir server lol.

I have more things to spend my money on, car, booze, days out and my gf.

2dope

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 15, 2005
Its alot of money... to run a mir server lol.

I have more things to spend my money on, car, booze, days out and my gf.
You may be able to get it cheaper, I mean NTL are bringing out 50mb broadband soon (well its being rolled out) which is £37 a month and you could always build a cheap PC and just stick a KVM on it and remote on to it, that would save a bit of money.

My hobbies include fighting 3 days a week and hitting the gym 3 days a week, both which cost not a lot so I have a fair bit of money spare -.- so would prefer to host one properly (when I do) although I am always worried about things like what I said happening :(

/2d

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
I have 10mb BB and my PC is easily good enough to host, but i use it for other things, including downloading so I cant really host m yself.

Also my mother would moan about the electricity bill lol

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
Hmm skyline you can get a dedi for around 60 pounds a month that will do the job just fine. I dont see why people think you need these powerfull dedis, That cost nearly as much as a computer P/M lol! Think you would be best off with a home host.

/Zen2

2dope

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 15, 2005
Hmm skyline you can get a dedi for around 60 pounds a month that will do the job just fine. I dont see why people think you need these powerfull dedis, That cost nearly as much as a computer P/M lol! Think you would be best off with a home host.

/Zen2
Interesting? I am not calling you a liar, but can you show me the spec of a dedi which supports SQL 2000 and is decent enough spec to run a substantial mir server with 50 + people, as I would be interested as having this for a starting server then migrating it to something a bit higher up as the count increased. Server 2k3 prefered but if not let me know what you can come back with please mate.
Thanks
/2d

forspinki

Legend
Legendary
Oct 23, 2006
Handan, China
well i was doing closed beta on my server for like 5 days with plenty of people on nobody complained about lag untill i hit the download button lol but it depends what ure downloading sky becuase if its just a quick 5min download people cant complain for 5min of lag

2dope

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 15, 2005
the 1gig of ram is a bit cack and I recon it would struggle at 50 users.... Plus I think this company I spoke to before you have to pay another £30 or £40 a month for it to run SQL - I could be wrong though - if I am wrong that is brilliant for a starting server

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
Yeh i can host from half a meg upload speed with upto 50-60 players without lag aslong as no 1 is downloading ect.

The odd download dont harm.

EDIT: 2dope i used them before you just install sql yourself (Y) agreed on the 1gb ram you could probly offer them another few quid a month to double it.

/Zen2

Reactions: 2dope

2dope

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Mar 15, 2005
EDIT: 2dope i used them before you just install sql yourself (Y) agreed on the 1gb ram you could probly offer them another few quid a month to double it.

/Zen2
aaa nice one mate, think I will use these to start out with them just like you said offer them more money for some extra ram. I always thought you could just install SQL on a server but they get a bit anal if you dont tell them though.

Good find Zen, you have saved me a few quid

Zen2

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jul 26, 2007
Yeh i had no trouble what so ever with this company they dont check your server anyway so its all good.

Anyway back on topic who can offer a decent home host for Skyline, Hes a very trusted person around here. And a nice guy.

/Zen2

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
well i was doing closed beta on my server for like 5 days with plenty of people on nobody complained about lag untill i hit the download button lol but it depends what ure downloading sky becuase if its just a quick 5min download people cant complain for 5min of lag
Will be movies, so take longer than 5min depepnding on the torrents lol