low fps on mir3

gandy

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 13, 2003
Server is AMD 64 x2 5600 2gig DDR onboard graphics (I VNC the server so it doesnt need a video card/monitor/keyboard) The server runs fine.

My comp is AMD 64 x2 6000+, 4gig DDR2, GF 8800GTX 3x500g SATA II HDDS

I use Sky broadband which i get around 7.5m down and about 756k up. Server Runs from 1 comp, SQL from another and client from another.

As i say, my friend in wales logs on with no lag at all so i dont hink its the connection.

Also when i enter my username/pass its freezes for 2 seconds and when i click start to play the game its freezes for about 30 seconds on a grey screen and in task manager i get not responding....after 30/40 seconds the tick box comes up and i can log on, just very laggily :S

mapadale

Server is AMD 64 x2 5600 2gig DDR onboard graphics (I VNC the server so it doesnt need a video card/monitor/keyboard) The server runs fine.

My comp is AMD 64 x2 6000+, 4gig DDR2, GF 8800GTX 3x500g SATA II HDDS

I use Sky broadband which i get around 7.5m down and about 756k up. Server Runs from 1 comp, SQL from another and client from another.

As i say, my friend in wales logs on with no lag at all so i dont hink its the connection.

Also when i enter my username/pass its freezes for 2 seconds and when i click start to play the game its freezes for about 30 seconds on a grey screen and in task manager i get not responding....after 30/40 seconds the tick box comes up and i can log on, just very laggily :S
First off Mir doesnt run on dual and so will only be runing on the single core at 2700 = 1.8ghz - You need to assign your second core for paging and handling the core.

using the same connection to play the server on you will notice lagg on this as your using up ur upload to connect to the server and so is ur friend - so you will notice lag where others dont.

The other issue you have is sql and files running from 2 machines - whats your lan connection is it 10/100 - If so this could also be the reason why your lagging and the next question i would ask is how do you have the SQL connecting to the server files, is that going through your router or a switch.

gandy

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 13, 2003
I've tried running SQL and files from same machine. Was the same, but, it's going through the router and yes 10/100 wired connection. Even when my friend isnt on it still lags.

The 1 thing i have noticed is some places the lag seems a lot worse than other. For example the GM.map map which is just a square room lags like hell, but in a province with mobs running about its not that bad (infact its verging on being normal) I know what your saying about the connection but ive used this setup for years (apart from upgrading the CPU and Mobo) and it worked fine even with 25 people or so on. I will try change the card as i have a 5600 and a 6800 in the draw somewhere and let you know how it goes.

mapadale

I've tried running SQL and files from same machine. Was the same, but, it's going through the router and yes 10/100 wired connection. Even when my friend isnt on it still lags.

The 1 thing i have noticed is some places the lag seems a lot worse than other. For example the GM.map map which is just a square room lags like hell, but in a province with mobs running about its not that bad (infact its verging on being normal) I know what your saying about the connection but ive used this setup for years (apart from upgrading the CPU and Mobo) and it worked fine even with 25 people or so on. I will try change the card as i have a 5600 and a 6800 in the draw somewhere and let you know how it goes.
I'm surprised it works so well, as your using DHCP to allocate the IP to the SQL machine this in turn will cause lag on the machine as its having to be routered - try changing it to a switch and see if that improves it.

As for being an issue with the g/card - Just down grade the drivers for it as its the nforce drivers that could be causing the issue.

Inflikted

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 4, 2003
most simple thing to check is directx.. since mir3 relies heavily on it based on nvidia/ati cards
go to start... run
type in
"dxdiag"
go into the display tab, and check to make sure all the tabs are enabled and function properly. including... DirectDraw Acceleration, Direct3D, AGP Texture Acceleration. run the directX tests, to make sure everything is running properly. on top of this make sure you are running directX 9.0c
for some reason faulty graphics drivers disable some options in directX without even telling you.
the most common problem is having one of the tabs disabled in directX, which can lower your performance. or even not allow mir3 to function.. while other games are ok.