Making a server

BattleGod

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 26, 2007
I just wanted a few replied giving me an incination as to what it involves, do you need to be a fully qualifed coder to make one? or is it just common sense you need?

Just sort of similar question like that is what I wanna know before i make a decision on whether to attempt a server or not.

Geordiehc

Mad Dog Geo
VIP
Jul 4, 2007
Redditch, UK
You need alot of time and dedication and being a fast learner helps alot but no you dont need anything lol its all mapped out and you justy gotta look at some of the people who can put up the server to know that

Inflikted

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Aug 4, 2003
i spent probably over 4-5 months learning scripting stuff before actually becoming a server GM. sure it doesnt take very long to learn to put up a server... as you can see new ones popping up nearly every week hehe
its the scripting, mob making, items, unique things on the server that will actually be the tough part and thats where most people kinda give up. new server owners 'promise' for these new things that will be on the server, when in actuality they dont no how and arent bothered to learn how hehe. id say.. if you really are up for it, spend the new few months learning scripting, as thats what will make your server unique :) getting it up is the easy part.

Geordiehc

Mad Dog Geo
VIP
Jul 4, 2007
Redditch, UK
i spent probably over 4-5 months learning scripting stuff before actually becoming a server GM. sure it doesnt take very long to learn to put up a server... as you can see new ones popping up nearly every week hehe
its the scripting, mob making, items, unique things on the server that will actually be the tough part and thats where most people kinda give up. new server owners 'promise' for these new things that will be on the server, when in actuality they dont no how and arent bothered to learn how hehe. id say.. if you really are up for it, spend the new few months learning scripting, as thats what will make your server unique :) getting it up is the easy part.
Totally agree, anyone can put up a server and even make things half decent but it takes time to learn about things and you will never stop learning, when your confident enough to say there isnt much i dcont know and you can help someone with 75% of there problems then i would go for it. I made the same mistake and if i'd have just waited i could have had a much longer term server with a bigger population

Amenovis

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 9, 2006
Germany
also agree the most importend thing is time ill think sure u can make a copy of other files download it and let it like it is (example ls3g-chinese with envir1 in english) and put over it 3.55 server "et voila" u have a running 3.55 server in english

but that is not what make really sense cause than ur server is all other as individuell

and best is make a offline server for beginning than u see where u strugle can take help from here can script and look if they work and if they do what u wanna that they do. u can play with kaorimim and look also with trial and error. ("how to" u find also here i posted chimera posted and other ppl also)

so if u wanna try it and u have a prob and had posted and noone had answer and i see it lol (much ifs and whens) ill help u out if i can

BattleGod

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 26, 2007
Thanks for the replies, I agree getting a server working wouldnt be too hard for me, but it would be the scripting adding new mobs items etc that would be hard, do you have any advice on how I would go about learning that before making it?

Amenovis

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 9, 2006
Germany
all u really need is the commands and logical thinking all other works like office exel function

exel function: if , than , else
script : if , act/say, elseact/elsesay

so u can make a script example that only say somethin or act without a check

if u have a check "#if" than the script check if something is or is not and react

example
#if //ATTENTION A CHECK COME
checkitem weapon //HAVE THE PLAYER A WEAPON ???
#act/#say //IF YES SAY
nice nice //HERE IS THE TEXT WHAT HE SAY OR THE COMMAND WHAT TO ACT
#elsesay/elseact // THE PLAYER HAVE NO WEAPON SO SAY OR ACT
u have no weapon // WHAT TO SAY IF NO WEAPON

so all scripts work same! the diffrent is only easy script or hard script
easy script all normal shop npcs work like that
hard script logical scripting with variables but that u can learn also fast if u concentrate

Last edited:

Dr3AmScAp3

Banned
Banned
Veteran
What I would say to anyone who is thinking about setting up a server, are a few simple points outlined below.

1. Can you maintain a server to the point where its gettting regular updates.
  2. Can you offer somthing to the Mir community that another server hasn't.
  3. Can you deal with the constant crap you get from players.
  4. Can you trust yourself not to fall into the same catergury as otehr servers have.
Thats what you should think about first, then I would then move onto the next set of points.

1. Setup a test server.
  2. Get to know the files you have.
  3. Work with your files and figure what each thing does.
  4. Learn to script as this helps a lot with updates.
  5. Know what you want from a server and not what you think.
  6. Play with a test server and get used to the working enviroment.
  7. Speak to other server owners and learn from them.
Its great fun playing with server files and we love every minute of it.

Amenovis

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 9, 2006
Germany
with that i disagree
the infos are corract but not all servers gonna be made for going online if u self only wanna know how all works what u can do what not than forget the first 4 points ! if ur server is fine u like what u did and u wanna see if other ppl like it make it online and look what happend (sure the points are correct 1-4 but its not or should not be a reason for starting a server)

make it try it let ur self see what is possible

idaBigA

Holley Mir 3!!
VIP
Oct 28, 2003
Stoke, UK
My Thoughts... not so far different from DreamScapes.. its all about attitude..

3 Things to think of..

1 - Can you run a Server indefinately
2 - Can you be unbiassed towards EVERYONE
3 - Can you be creative

All the rest is can be learnt..

The reason I say the rest is not really important is because that everything else is basically just some files.. the real important thing is your attitude towards running a server and your ability to come up with something different.

Amenovis, this is (I am sure) about running an online server. If its just offline, just get the files and play.

Last edited:

BattleGod

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 26, 2007
In the long run I want to be able to provide players with a server they can rely on, I know this has been said before and I have seen it said so many times yet the majority of server hosts who have said this have either a: been corrupt and found out or b: just get bored and close it down.

Now as I have a lot of free time because of my illness that prevents me from working, so I think im in a position to be able to run a server indefinitely and maintain it.

My aim is to make a test server online for myself and any team I decide to make, which I intend to run it on a dedi as I only have one pc at home.

If I was to make a server it would be tought through and made sure its perfectly complete before even thinking about making it public....

The scripts seem easy enough, what about items and mob editing/adding? is it hard? I do have some expereience with mysql is the db system used on servers similar to the one I am used to?

Where would I start in learning mob/item maintenance/creation?

Thanks in advance.

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
What Ida said and spend a lot of time thinking about what you want to achieve and stick to it - players hate servers where the fundamentals change radically part way through. I'm talking about exp rates, item stats, pvp or non-pvp and stick to it. Give yourself a target level to achieve before reincarnation (if you intend to use it) and work everything out based on the maximum mob stats of 255/255 so this can be achieved without making it so easy people get bored.

Most important, if you don't think you'll enjoy this whole process in the very long term and if you can't afford to financially support the server 100% without any help - forget about it all together.

As for learning - read, search and if you are still stuck, ask for pointers, a lot of us would be happy to help. :)

My "released work" link in signature and "the one thread you will ever need" sticky in server help should get you started.

Last edited:

BattleGod

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 26, 2007
Thanks guys, I do have one question its more of a concern, If I was to make a server but still wanted to play a server like elite would that be classed as corrupt or is that allowed?

chimera

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Jul 30, 2003
UK
To be honest if you have time to play another server you are doing something wrong lol

Be upfront with Elites owner, give them access to your forum as you have access to theirs and I'm sure you'd have no problem :)

ShakeNBake

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 27, 2007
Phantom forrest afk..
My Thoughts... not so far different from DreamScapes.. its all about attitude..

3 Things to think of..

1 - Can you run a Server indefinately
2 - Can you be unbiassed towards EVERYONE
3 - Can you be creative

All the rest is can be learnt..

The reason I say the rest is not really important is because that everything else is basically just some files.. the real important thing is your attitude towards running a server and your ability to come up with something different.

Amenovis, this is (I am sure) about running an online server. If its just offline, just get the files and play.

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BattleGod

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 26, 2007
To be honest if you have time to play another server you are doing something wrong lol

Be upfront with Elites owner, give them access to your forum as you have access to theirs and I'm sure you'd have no problem :)

I suffer from insomnia, so I rarely sleep so I think I would have enough time.

Dr3AmScAp3

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Thanks guys, I do have one question its more of a concern, If I was to make a server but still wanted to play a server like elite would that be classed as corrupt or is that allowed?
I play several servers, so do my team.

We use this as a way to see what is good and what isn't and also to see what other servers haven't got that would make our server stand out from theres.

We somtimes notify server owners that we play, but most of the time we don't.

BattleGod

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Oct 26, 2007
Well I have downloaded some files from mirfiles and am going to explore them, see what I can do with them.

Amenovis

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jan 9, 2006
Germany
so than i hope u loaded ls3g-chinese cause that is rly the easiest one from all and if u have it running

after u have 3.38 running u need only to put ur envir folder and the mapfolder in the 3.55 files and work on the client and finish