[King] Minimum*** Spec for a server

dwaring28720

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 5, 2011
Cheshire, UK
running the basic server files, db, mssql, windows (xp sp2) what is the very minimum spec needed to even get a stable server running?

reason im asking is ive just been digging around the house and come across an old ITX motherboard, its got 256mb of something resembling SD ram a fixed 1ghz via chip and a 40gb IDE HDD with it, and i was gonna use it as a file server for my home network but thought i might be able to get a Mir server running on it for me and the mrs (so not much in the way of heavy traffic) any ideas?! or am i pushing my luck with this 1 ...

Rogue

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Aug 25, 2010
duel core /4bg ddr2 ram / plenty hdd space and a 50 meg connection should host you 200 players at any one time with no lagg

Upvote 0

dwaring28720

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 5, 2011
Cheshire, UK
duel core /4bg ddr2 ram / plenty hdd space and a 50 meg connection should host you 200 players at any one time with no lagg
well that specs gauranteed to run, beings as the game is 7 yrs old give or take however my question was, would the server run on my little itx board (and spec i listed in original post), ill find out myself in a week or so when the new psu arrives, and it was just a cursory question of would it be enough, 50mb connection is a little extreme btw as zentaur is, and has always run on a 10mb connection with ... in its prime alot more client base than 200 players

besides im just looking at a server for 2 players :)

Upvote 0

dwaring28720

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 5, 2011
Cheshire, UK
well psu arrived, it took numerous hours to install the sql server even longer to try and launch it to edit a few fields, and when i came to load the server it just died, so the big answer to the question of will a little itx board with a via chip run the server ... nope, back to running it through my pc then

Upvote 0

Andeh

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Jun 21, 2003
wish i had seen this thread earlier. I could have told you not a chance before you went out and bought a PSU for an ancient old system lol.

at minimum, you want a dual core with 2gig of ram.

Upvote 0

dwaring28720

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 5, 2011
Cheshire, UK
wish i had seen this thread earlier. I could have told you not a chance before you went out and bought a PSU for an ancient old system lol.

at minimum, you want a dual core with 2gig of ram.
i was gonna get the psu regardless really, as ill use it as a file server now for my home network, but thanks for the info, didnt think that kinda dual core system was widely available back when mir came out, it was worth a try anyway. it would of been nice to have a completely silent server running the game out of the way somewhere but oh well.

thanks again for your replies

Upvote 0