mir freezing up

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
Right, for some reason mir keeps freezing at random moments. the mouse stops moving and the game locks up. i have to alt-tab out and after 30-45seconds it minimises and goes back to desktop. I can then click mir in the taskbar and it maximises again no problem. This is extremely frustrating as sometimes it lags me out of the game too.. also as you can imagine, random freezing whie running or hunting is not good for my hp. i keep dying because of it.

anyone have any ideas what could be the problem? i'll post my pc specs if needed.

ElectricQueen

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Annon said:
Right, for some reason mir keeps freezing at random moments. the mouse stops moving and the game locks up. i have to alt-tab out and after 30-45seconds it minimises and goes back to desktop. I can then click mir in the taskbar and it maximises again no problem. This is extremely frustrating as sometimes it lags me out of the game too.. also as you can imagine, random freezing whie running or hunting is not good for my hp. i keep dying because of it.

anyone have any ideas what could be the problem? i'll post my pc specs if needed.

by the sounds of it are u using any 3rd party programs, Bots/hacks or any cheats. u can say no but if u r try downloading .net framework again.

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
no hacks or cheats, no external programs of any kind, ive even tried shutting everythin down in task manager that my system will allow without crashing. my .Net framework install is fine as far as i can tell. if you or sum1 else can provide me with a link to the latest version, i'll see if an update is needed...

ElectricQueen

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Annon said:
no hacks or cheats, no external programs of any kind, ive even tried shutting everythin down in task manager that my system will allow without crashing. my .Net framework install is fine as far as i can tell. if you or sum1 else can provide me with a link to the latest version, i'll see if an update is needed...

no hardware falts or anything? like ur graphics card happened to me once. although Urban can help u more with them problems. its ether the software or hardware ur using thats causing it, maybe over heating?

correct me if im wrong admins.

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
ive considered the overheating thing, but i cant understand why it only happens with mir, why not doom3 or unreal tournament or somethin a little more graphic and processor intensive.

besides had a brand new cpu heatsink and fan fitted not too long ago.

im guessin its hardware or atleast hardware setup...the gfx card seems 2b fine, geforce fx5200 128mb workin ok.

no hardware conflicts i can see. no longer overclocked and still havinthe problem

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
only mir. no problems with any other game/application. ive reinstalled mir several times so its not my installation thats at fault

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
If it's only mir it is probably due to a corrupt .wil

Try downloading mir 1.4 and playing without the servers data, if it's fine download the servers data and try then, if it's fine it was probably a wil messed up, if it starts crashing again it is definately due to a corrupt data file :P.

---EDIT---
You posted at the same time.

Right so if it's not the mir installation... Have you tried the basic mir installation without the servers data? Have you tried playing any other servers? What exe is the server using?

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
its on 1.4 servers, its on all 1.9 servers, its when playin ledu files, its playin my own offline 1.4 server, and even playin euro mir.

ive used every install there is and ever has been lol. still get the problem :(

Last edited:

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
redownloaded 1.9 4 times, even got a setup file from a m8 to try.

EDIT: its on all servers, all exes. tried without server patches and still bugged. seems to have settled down now it does that sometimes, need a permanent solution soon though :(... gonnab gettin a new pc asap so hopefully the problem wont carry on to the new machine.

btw any hardware to avoid when building a system around mir? its gonna b a top spec machine...

Last edited:

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
I take it by the lack of fresh responses that people have run out of ideas? Thanks for trying anyway..

On a side note, i dont suppose you could have a go at explaining why my AMD Sempron 2400+ has suddenly changed to a 1.02Ghz Athlon in my System window..? Something is definately messed up somewhere lol..

Think they could be related?

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
A friend trying to be funny underclocked your computer while you were in the other room maybe?

Not sure on this, but i would try flashing the bios.

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
downloaded the latest mobo driver n bios info so will try that tonite. think i may have a corrupt (or infected) HotFix XP update thats pushin my cpu usage to 100% which is causing mir to freeze. gonna investigate when i get home from work later.

Last edited:

HunterR

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Feb 7, 2004
London
I had the same problem about 2 years ago, i just uninstalled the game, check for any viruses then downloaded the game from another link and it worked. If not you can always format your pc ... lol

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
lo yeha k, format.. id lose 220gb worth of downloads lol... NO WAY !! hehe it'll never come to that.

Dataforce

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 15, 2003
Meh, formatting aint that bad. THere is this thing, called backups you know. or alternatively, what i do is use 2 drives, 1 for the os, 1 for my files - so when i reinstall i just reformat the os drive.

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
yeah i have that :P just the 220gb is split between my system drive and a 150gb partition, theres another 80gb on my external backup usb drive. Could be done just would take a looong time to transfer that amount of data... Much prefer the "fix the problem" option than spend a few hours creating backups, formatting, reinstalling windows, downloading updates, reinstalling all my apps, reinstalling mir, hooking up to the net.......

Dataforce

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Apr 15, 2003
How does that work? Downloading updates, before hooking up to the net ?

----

Do what i do \o/ create an unattended XP install disk (http://unattended.msfn.org/) Then you can just pop the disk into the machine, and leave it to it, come back to a machine with everything installed :)

Bacardi

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Mar 27, 2003
Sheffield
lol well some like the sasser fix i already have on cd cos connecting to the net 1st is potential pc suicide, but there was no order intended in the suggested actions in my previous post. Besides, i could just download them on my other pc lol.

nice link there about the unattended install, mite have a go at that

Last edited: