Mir WarZones Servers

MrSam

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 31, 2005
Hey guys.

It's been a while since my last post, but I've had another idea that I thought worthy of posting. Although it's probably either been done or it's impossible. Still -- worth a shot.

Game Design

The rest of this post is just about the design bits, not about how to actually make it happen.

WarZones
This idea is not newbie friendly. It involves a REAL combatitive environment and puts each and every player right into the middle of a war.

This doesn't just mean 'we've got mobs', but this means a real war, between two sides, which dominates the game.

The war isn't on mobs. It's between two player factions; the Ashnar and the Darshan.

Territories
The Ashnar occupy border village (obviously giving them easier access to PI etc), while the Darshan control Serpant Valley and Tao Village.

Bichon wall is a totally neutral town, where you can't even fight. Mud wall is neutral, containing an embassy for each faction, but fighting is allowed outside the big safe zones.

Sabuk is obviously tied to a guild, and therefore is kind-of in the hands of a faction. *More on that below*.

Choose A Side
It's not quite as simple as just choose a side and that's it. The factions are made up of lots of guilds, and every guild is automatically tied to a side (and involved in the war).

There is no such thing as a neutral guild that can evade the massive war -- from the very start all guilds are involved, actually forming in one of the faction's territories.

Arm Yourself for War
A lot of equipment from level 20+ (when you become a real part of the big war) is faction specific.

All robes, belts, stones and shoes are specific to one side or the other. Armour is different coloured for each side.

You take a normal item, eg. magicarmour, to an NPC in your faction's homeland and you upgrade it. This costs EXPERIENCE. The amount depends on the level of the item. Eg. minus 20,000 exp for a magicarmor but minus 200,000 for a steelarmour.

The un upgraded items drop and are sold as usual, but have either no stats or vastly reduced stats. You need to have faction specific armour and stones etc to compete.

This is where the war comes in. If you collect any of the enemy faction's items, you can hand them in to receive the exp cost of that item. So you could take an Ashnar MagicRobe (A.MagicRobe) and turn it in at the Dashnar town to get 30,000 exp. This is the 20,000 exp it originally cost to upgrade with an extra bonus, so people level by hunting each other overall (+ you get the original robe back).

You also get awarded with a kill point.

So basically -- you get/lose exp for hunting your enemies. And the exp amounts are a lot higher for higher level people.

To stop an obvious exploit, there is a limit to the number of items you can upgrade inside a set time-frame.

MrSam

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 31, 2005
Making it work

This is the bit I'm really not sure about, and it's the bit that it all hinges on.

I was hoping that a script could be called to automatically declare war on every guild on the enemy side every two hours. I was hoping that with the Ledu NPCs that can do @whatever commands, and with a guildlist, this might be possible.

However, I don't know enough about it to know one way or the other.

Without that you'd just have to set no PK point penalty and fix curses on weapons, lol, and people would have to just play nice and target the people in the different colour armour. (Yeah.... right.)

Alternative
Assuming that the above (highly ambitious) script isn't possible, this is the best alternative I could think of.

Each faction is represented by a shell guild that's simply allied to all the other guilds. An automatic script should be possible to keep renewing a war between just 2 sides?

Upgrading Armour/Belts/Shoes/Stones
Making an NPC to do this is simple enough, just check for the old item, take it, issue new item, and for the exp cost use the give exp command with a negative value.

The same with handing in other faction's tokens: give the base item back, give the exp and reward a point for the kill.

An automatic script is triggered randomly once every x kills of ANY mob. This checks that you're not wearing anything you shouldn't be (ie. other faction's armour, or armour that you can't wear at your rank). If you are, it deletes the item and gives a significant negative exp and negative faction killpoints penalty.
- This stops people cheating by dressing up as each other or simply getting armour from a higher rank.

Ranks
Getting kills (tokens) of the other faction leads to promotion.

Here's some examples:
0-10 kills = rookie
10-30 kills = corporal
30-100 kills = sargeant
100-200 kills = liutenant
200-500 kills = captain (quest needed)
500-1000 kills = major (quests needed as well as kills)

Promotion after that is by the faction leaders only.

At higher ranks you get better armour upgrade options. Eg. with a blank SteelArmour instead of just turning it into normal stealarmour you could turn it into A.GeneralArmor (or D.GeneralArmor, depending on faction). This would be for the Generals only (very rare) and would have a massive exp cost/value on it and have very very nice stats.

Quests
There's quests too for each side that are available to people with certain killcounts, and they can give rewards, promotions, and can raise your kill points.

Some of them are standard quests, while some involve killing the opposing faction. (Eg. bring in 3 Captain rank Draknar armour).

Biohazard

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Apr 21, 2003
Salem, Oregon
This is exactly like WoW, this has been thought of though. But there are 2 major problems.

1) Uneven sides.
2) Not enough players, only server that would EVEN qualify for this is Project69.

MrSam

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 31, 2005
The BIG Wars

As well as the ongoing battle that's everywhere you look, there'll be some automatically organised events, ie. big battles.

These are by far the best way to quickly rise through the ranks and get killpoints, and will generally give much better exp rewards than hunting ever would.

These occur between 0 and 2 times per week.

The timing of these is preset based on date, but these can be randomly generated easily enough.

Events are always one of a number of pre-scripted events (there could be a lot of these though). They will sometimes be a big fight of some kind between sides, and will sometimes be something as innocent as a ZT raid.

These can be pretty imaginative.

Example Events

You speak to the AshnarHerald (or DarshanHerald) in your town. These will tell you when the next upcoming event is, and include a scripted message.

Some examples are:

-On Tuesday we will be fighting back the bug infestation in the LifeDeathDungeon. Meet in the Darshan Mud Wall embassy for a teleport. We here there are going to be a lot of EvilTong hatchlings...

During the mini event the guild teleporters will send people direct to LDC, and there'll be a load of fake and real eviltongs, which will give lots of killpoints. Attending these events is always a good way to work your way up in the faction.

-On Monday we will be ambushing a Ashnar General. Our sources say it should be an easy trap. Only a few of our number will be required. The first ten will be invited.

During this event, the faction teleporters would send people to the special event map (each side has one) where an NPC called Ashnar General and some bodyguards would spawn. The teleporters will only send people when 10 or under is on the map. The general would drop at least 1 general level item and the bodyguards would drop good stuff -- redeemable obviously for killpoints, exp and gear, just like if it had come from a player.

- On Friday we're expecting a big fight with the Ashnar. Everyone is required! Meet at the Darshan teleporters in Serpant Valley! We shall destroy them!

Events like this are given simultaneously to both sides, and it just means a big fight. On the battlefield map, each side is teleported in at one side of the map. After the initial teleport-in, each side can send 1 person per minute per node still existing. Each side starts with 3 nodes (on their side of the map). Obviously a battle is lost when all 3 nodes are destroyed, and taking one down gives an advantage.

The winning side are rewarded.

Martyn

Smir.co.uk
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 24, 2003
Kent - UK
nice. but impossible.. just recode mir.. i suppose u cud extende the time for wars... but i dun get involed with private servers/nor play them, waste of time mir ones..

demonx

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Aug 4, 2004
England
erm jus about a lil thing wht if sum1 makes another char and adds him/her to the opposite side so they can gain points / items etc without having to kill other ppl jus themselves =/

MrSam

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 31, 2005
demonx said:
erm jus about a lil thing wht if sum1 makes another char and adds him/her to the opposite side so they can gain points / items etc without having to kill other ppl jus themselves =/

Yeah. Well like I said in the thing this is an obvious exploit. To counter it you can only get new faction armour every x hours.

To make it worthwhile to do it, you'd have to get it quite high first, and you couldn't get that much exp before a faction leader kicks you out.

Those who know me will know I don't actually own a server (or play one) -- so I don't know how far the limits stretch of what's possible. Massively extending guild war times seems a good idea.

Last edited:

Robert

Actual Jesus
VIP
Jan 1, 1970
Yes.
wouldnt work, but still a good idea, see ur the missing link for wemade.

ot milo he wasnt being racist towards a member or staff in the rules you quoted it doesnt include general use of the word

Terror

Banned
Banned
Veteran
May 12, 2005
GheTTo
MrSam ill give u a hand i got my touch still with mir so pm me ur msn ill give u a hand as iam banned on WoW atm XD
/Terror

Doobie

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Apr 28, 2005
this is a very good idea, sounds very fun,

WOW, it soundz like WOW!

Ragnar

Hallowed be thy name
Legendary
Golden Oldie
Loyal Member
Jul 20, 2004
Cleaned - Stop spamming milo and the other guy :P.

On topic - Good idea as usual!

MrSam

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
May 31, 2005
Gimpasaurus said:
Cleaned - Stop spamming milo and the other guy :P.

On topic - Good idea as usual!

Cheers on both counts.

Just to clarify, this isn't something I'm thinking of launching myself - I don't own server files even for my own PC and won't be anytime soon. My contributions are always for other servers to use freely, not my own projects. (Although I do help out with server teams.)

If anyone wants to go ahead and set up a server like this, I'd be happy to provide my thoughts on how it should/could work and overcoming any obstacles etc. Even if you're just going to try it yourself I'd still like to hear about it?

Anyone up to the challenge? Could make your server fairly unique within Mir.

I think this server would be more arcade than long term though. With people playing for a couple of months at a time mainly. It's not likely to become the main server for too many people, but definately potential to be a very popular alternative server.