new progress (custom armours+animation)

afshangrudar1

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 26, 2009
Render a seperate shadow pass with simple raytraced shadows (no softness and only 0 or 255 alpha). You could also use a shadow/matte material on a plane and a cast shadow only on human. Once you have rendered your sequence use a checkerboard pattern as a mask use photoshop/after effects to get a ditherered effect (mir style) shadow

dragon_example.jpg dragon_image.jpg dragon_shadow.jpg dragon_shadow_masked.jpg

---------- Post Merged at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Heres a 1080x1920 grid pattern

View attachment 1920x1080_Sensio.zip

---------- Post Merged at 10:49 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 10:26 PM ----------

just grabbed a screenie from the other thread and put on top to show what it would look like in game

http://img836.imageshack.us/img836/1448/96712132.png

Last edited:

Nemo

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Jun 10, 2009
UK -Manchester
Hm, that's a very long winded way of going about it, similar to what steking was suggesting, except you have twice as much rendering, and then need to rebuild them together again after.

The way steking was suggesting however you could do in 1 automated batch.

afshangrudar1

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 26, 2009
I almost always tweak colours in after effects anyway and you can render the shadow pass with nothing fancy just plain materials, no advanced lighting etc so it takes very little time to render - if you put a checkerboard pattern it might not distribute properly because of the viewing angle unless you can specify an exact 1 pixel pattern

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK
I almost always tweak colours in after effects anyway and you can render the shadow pass with nothing fancy just plain materials, no advanced lighting etc so it takes very little time to render - if you put a checkerboard pattern it might not distribute properly because of the viewing angle unless you can specify an exact 1 pixel pattern
you can edit checkerboard pattern until it is very similar in size to mir, it doesnt need to be exact, remember its about creating shadows which work with mir rather than blobs of black.

i created the same effect you are trying to create in 3ds in 1 pass, by using a checker shadow map linked to a material, with a matte/shadow plane using scanline render, which gives enough options to edit the checker size/ colour / sharpness etc accordingly, which also cuts down a load of post processing too.

few examples here, keep in mind i rendered em lighter so you could easily see them.

checkershadow1.jpg

checkershadow2.jpg

afshangrudar1

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 26, 2009
Hmmm I dont see how you could get a perfect pattern by doing that because you will almost always get artifacts. You can checkerboard the shadow pass by using video post alpha filter but still have to composite afterwords so its easier just to render a shadow pass and do boarding in AE. Im sure it would be fairly straight forward to write a checkerboard shadow shader but I have no idea where to start

Turrican

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Jul 24, 2012
UK
what you are forgetting is the wils work off of a transparency guideline, ie pure black being transparent. as long as you incorporate your checker to use 1 square pure black, and one square not pure black it will show up just the same. no artefacts , no blobs.

there is no magical pixel checking going on behind the render, it works off mirs limited colour palette. that's my understanding at least.

Last edited:

afshangrudar1

Dedicated Member
Dedicated Member
Mar 26, 2009
I know that it clips 000 rgb - what I am saying is if its not exactly a 1x1 pattern then the shadows wont look correct - I got rid of the pure black pixels in your image (prob compression artifacts messed it up) and made a sphere to show what im saying

Example2.jpg

Attachments

• example_shadow.png
    example_shadow.png
    48.1 KB · Views: 52