Nokia N97

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
44 quid a month?! fook that!

I bought mine for £400.
yes kind of exspensive but i dont mind i was paying £50 for my N95 8GB on a 12month contract and ive never had one problem with O2 but agree IPhone rocks anything.

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
Pfft, the iPhone really isn't a contender to the n97 at all. Apple is one big marketing gimmick, it's easy to get drawn in and to bandwagon on the 'isn't it great' train. If you want a £400 fashion accessory then buy something half the people in the country haven't owned.

The n97 has three times the storage capacity of the biggest iphone.

The n97 runs on the same size screen but utilises a 16:9 aspect ratio rather than 4:3 (which is what you want if you're viewing media)

The n97 has both a touch screen and physical keyboard (touch screen keyboards in my experience also get very irritating)

The n97 has a 5mp dual flash camera, the iphone doesn't come close.

The n97 can hold open multiple applications.

The n97 doesn't explode, implode or burn out.

Heck, does the iphone even have cut/copy/paste yet?

I've never owned an iphone but I have an iPod Touch which is effectively an iphone without the phone. I think secretly anyone who's ever owned an apple product thinks to themselves 'what was the fuss about', but neglects saying it due to feeling like a bandwagoning fool. I'll admit it, I bought into apple and hope I don't ever do it again.

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
I hate everything by apple bar the iPhone. I can't find anything wrong with it except the layout, but I've changed it and made it look like windows 7. I love it :)

Prai

Most Importantest
VIP
Sep 10, 2004
Ive never bought an Apple item.. Doubt I would...

I have a Sony Erricson W890 and to me, its perfect. I dont use mine to Browse or go on Facebook. Its just to ring, text and play music.

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
Pfft, the iPhone really isn't a contender to the n97 at all. Apple is one big marketing gimmick, it's easy to get drawn in and to bandwagon on the 'isn't it great' train. If you want a £400 fashion accessory then buy something half the people in the country haven't owned.

The n97 runs on the same size screen but utilises a 16:9 aspect ratio rather than 4:3 (which is what you want if you're viewing media)

The n97 has both a touch screen and physical keyboard (touch screen keyboards in my experience also get very irritating)

I've never owned an iphone but I have an iPod Touch which is effectively an iphone without the phone. I think secretly anyone who's ever owned an apple product thinks to themselves 'what was the fuss about', but neglects saying it due to feeling like a bandwagoning fool. I'll admit it, I bought into apple and hope I don't ever do it again.
Have you not seen the Advert for the new iPhone?

Wow it looks amazing, it shows how you can Copy & Paste numbers... or even emails!

I was totally blown away with this function.... about 4 years ago with my SOny Ericsson.

CraiG^

Legend
Legendary
Jun 22, 2003
Scotland
Have you not seen the Advert for the new iPhone?

Wow it looks amazing, it shows how you can Copy & Paste numbers... or even emails!

I was totally blown away with this function.... about 4 years ago with my SOny Ericsson.

Excellent.

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

iPhone has an incredible App Store millions of Applications and Games that blow away anything the Symbian Platform can offer

32GB is perfectly fine anyone who wants or even thinks they can listen to more music is fooling themselves.

Um.. The iPhone and iPod Touch displays all videos in Widescreen what made you think otherwise? You said you have an iPod Touch have you actually used it...

While a physical keyboard would be nice the iPhone's touchscreen keyboard is perfectly capable of doing what it needs to do and I can type messages as fast as I could on my older phones.

iPhones camera is actually pretty impressive. It's not all about the megapixels. Hell the photo you posted early doesn't even look that great for a 5mp camera. But I didn't buy a phone for a camera any way and have taken maybe 20 pictures over the years I've had Camera Phones.

Why would you actually want to load multiple applications at once on a small screen and a small device? Talk about draining the battery. The only uses I can see if for are Skype/IM clients (And Push Notification has fixed IM Clients) and other Music Streaming services like Pandora but otherwise it's a useless feature that simply drains battery life. I used an N91 for a couple of years and never ran multiple apps at once. It's a phone one application at a time is perfectly fine.

The iPhone's failure rate is about the same as any other smart phone. No doubt lots of Nokia Batteries have over heated and exploded over the years.

Based on your comments about the lack of widescreen video on the iPhone platform and no copy/paste I doubt you actually have an iPod Touch and if you do you haven't actually used it properly.

I physically could not and will not go back to using a Nokia Phone until they change how they work as a company. This bull**** of new software features requiring new phones is a load of crap (One example, Feature Packs that added Flash and upgraded browser to newer Symbian phones but couldn't/wouldn't be released on older models like the N91 that could perfectly handle it) and building a touch screen layer on top of a dated Symbian platform was silly.

Android has a chance of being a successful platform but unless it gets the developers support like the iPhone has it will be a wasted device.

Btw iPhone Satisfaction Rate at 99%. No doubt they all secretly wish they had bought a different phone and lied to save their face on a private survey.

It's a pointless argument though I'm not going to change your mind and you sure as hell have no chance of changing mine but your points that place the N97 over the iPhone are pretty damn weak so I figured I may as well respond.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
infact it dose have copy and paste. and the N95 or N96 didnt stop trying to score goals ive had nokia's for the last 5years everyone of them have broke.
and for saying the n97 is £500 they trying to be somthing there not. if you want free apps/games then iphone is was togo then you can buy films music top quality without any question of them being poor

Milo gr8 post dude, wouldnt put it better myself lol lol :P

Last edited:

AgentSmith

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 30, 2003
Sheffield (S2)
its a nokia tho, tbh whould have looked at the new crapberry or the new htc with the keyboard. The iphone aint that bad if you unlock the damn thing. i have a htc hd too and its a love hate relationship, love it because its not an iphone and i hate it because its not an iphone lol, only difference is that i have been able to get all the updates thx to ma buddies at xda so i got the new windows moblie rom on it......battery life is still crap tho

SmavidDavid

Playing Legend of Mir 5
Supporter
Legendary
Jun 13, 2006
Worthing, West Sussex
Simple solution to this silly post.

Does the phone ring people?
Does the phone text people?
Is it cheap?

If it answers yes to all 3.. then the phone is good. If one answer is no... then sell it and buy a Nokia 1100, and your issues sorted. :D

Skyline

LOMCN Admin
Staff member
Administrator
Mar 26, 2003
Sheffield
its a nokia tho, tbh whould have looked at the new crapberry or the new htc with the keyboard. The iphone aint that bad if you unlock the damn thing. i have a htc hd too and its a love hate relationship, love it because its not an iphone and i hate it because its not an iphone lol, only difference is that i have been able to get all the updates thx to ma buddies at xda so i got the new windows moblie rom on it......battery life is still crap tho

My bro has the iPhone and loves it, yet he still admits mine is better... But i dont like it :/

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
iPhone has an incredible App Store millions of Applications and Games that blow away anything the Symbian Platform can offer

32GB is perfectly fine anyone who wants or even thinks they can listen to more music is fooling themselves.

Um.. The iPhone and iPod Touch displays all videos in Widescreen what made you think otherwise? You said you have an iPod Touch have you actually used it...

While a physical keyboard would be nice the iPhone's touchscreen keyboard is perfectly capable of doing what it needs to do and I can type messages as fast as I could on my older phones.

iPhones camera is actually pretty impressive. It's not all about the megapixels. Hell the photo you posted early doesn't even look that great for a 5mp camera. But I didn't buy a phone for a camera any way and have taken maybe 20 pictures over the years I've had Camera Phones.

Why would you actually want to load multiple applications at once on a small screen and a small device? Talk about draining the battery. The only uses I can see if for are Skype/IM clients (And Push Notification has fixed IM Clients) and other Music Streaming services like Pandora but otherwise it's a useless feature that simply drains battery life. I used an N91 for a couple of years and never ran multiple apps at once. It's a phone one application at a time is perfectly fine.

The iPhone's failure rate is about the same as any other smart phone. No doubt lots of Nokia Batteries have over heated and exploded over the years.

Based on your comments about the lack of widescreen video on the iPhone platform and no copy/paste I doubt you actually have an iPod Touch and if you do you haven't actually used it properly.

I physically could not and will not go back to using a Nokia Phone until they change how they work as a company. This bull**** of new software features requiring new phones is a load of crap (One example, Feature Packs that added Flash and upgraded browser to newer Symbian phones but couldn't/wouldn't be released on older models like the N91 that could perfectly handle it) and building a touch screen layer on top of a dated Symbian platform was silly.

Android has a chance of being a successful platform but unless it gets the developers support like the iPhone has it will be a wasted device.

Btw iPhone Satisfaction Rate at 99%. No doubt they all secretly wish they had bought a different phone and lied to save their face on a private survey.

It's a pointless argument though I'm not going to change your mind and you sure as hell have no chance of changing mine but your points that place the N97 over the iPhone are pretty damn weak so I figured I may as well respond.

Point in case: heavy-lifter fanboy above. Look how much energy he puts into defending the metal in his pocket. It's quite admirable. He even goes as far to call me a liar about having an ipod touch. Let's retract a minute here and remember we're talking about fucking a mobile phone. I'm not exactly trying to put forward an act to have black people enslaved here. You don't need to keyboard warrior me. But as you slandered me, called me a liar and pretty much personally insulted me with your shitty post, fuck you.

This is why people don't talk about the **** functionality of apple products, hot-headed neeks like this guy jump in and throw up a wall of text based on heavily biased opinion. You don't need more storage? Well that's nice for you. You don't need an actual querty keyboard? Well that's nice for you. You can't tell the difference between a **** picture and a poor one? Well that's nice for you. You don't take many photos anyway? Well that's nice for you. You don't want to use multiple applications? Well that's nice for you. You don't like Nokia? Well that's nice for you. You like men? Well that's nice for you.

I didn't post in this thread for an argument, read the thread title then look at my post. I was giving opinions based on fact, not how much I wanna **** a ltd company for blessing my existance with a hand-held phone. Jesus christ get over yourself.

You're right, it is a pointless argument. Because it's not one, you can't argue functionality because you don't care for it/need it. That's why it's called mass market. I posted facts about the phone, one of which was incorrect, granted. They're still facts. I don't give a shit if you don't like them, make an application about it?

Shard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 12, 2003
Point in case: heavy-lifter fanboy above. Look how much energy he puts into defending the metal in his pocket. It's quite admirable. He even goes as far to call me a liar about having an ipod touch. Let's retract a minute here and remember we're talking about fucking a mobile phone. I'm not exactly trying to put forward an act to have black people enslaved here. You don't need to keyboard warrior me. But as you slandered me, called me a liar and pretty much personally insulted me with your shitty post, fuck you.

This is why people don't talk about the **** functionality of apple products, hot-headed neeks like this guy jump in and throw up a wall of text based on heavily biased opinion. You don't need more storage? Well that's nice for you. You don't need an actual querty keyboard? Well that's nice for you. You can't tell the difference between a **** picture and a poor one? Well that's nice for you. You don't take many photos anyway? Well that's nice for you. You don't want to use multiple applications? Well that's nice for you. You don't like Nokia? Well that's nice for you. You like men? Well that's nice for you.

I didn't post in this thread for an argument, read the thread title then look at my post. I was giving opinions based on fact, not how much I wanna **** a ltd company for blessing my existance with a hand-held phone. Jesus christ get over yourself.

You're right, it is a pointless argument. Because it's not one, you can't argue functionality because you don't care for it/need it. That's why it's called mass market. I posted facts about the phone, one of which was incorrect, granted. They're still facts. I don't give a shit if you don't like them, make an application about it?

And then I

JIZZ
IN
my pants.

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland

Wow nice one on the attack. Completely unnecessary. You claimed you had a iPod Touch but failed to notice it played videos in Widescreen (Hell it only plays video in Widescreen) Yes I had the cheek to accuse you of maybe not actually having an iPod Touch or if you did that you never actually used it. Hardly an offence that requires that kind of attack.

I responded to your post since it was so blatantly one sided so that others can make there own mind up. Since I couldn't actually care less what phone people own and never have.

I fail to see where I attacked you for your opinions I gave a different side and corrected your mistakes.

Well done Sawell well done.

daneo1989

I am Ancient.
Staff member
Dec 5, 2005
UK
Photo taken by my 16gb IPhone 3GS crossing humber bridge.
pissing vista being crap, making my photos rotate.

http://img198.imageshack.us/i/img0017cdo.jpg/

10ct9fm.jpg

img0017cdo.jpg

Sawell

Golden Oldie
Golden Oldie
Dec 29, 2003
Wow nice one on the attack. Completely unnecessary. You claimed you had a iPod Touch but failed to notice it played videos in Widescreen (Hell it only plays video in Widescreen) Yes I had the cheek to accuse you of maybe not actually having an iPod Touch or if you did that you never actually used it. Hardly an offence that requires that kind of attack.

I responded to your post since it was so blatantly one sided so that others can make there own mind up. Since I couldn't actually care less what phone people own and never have.

I fail to see where I attacked you for your opinions I gave a different side and corrected your mistakes.

Well done Sawell well done.

Because you took the debate out of the context of which phone is better and started calling me a liar and said I can't work technology properly. I'd say that's pretty solid grounds to get pissed off on. Especially on my Birthday. I just wanted to eat cake and play pass the parcel, I didn't want/need to be trolled. :(

MiloFoxburr

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Because you took the debate out of the context of which phone is better and started calling me a liar and said I can't work technology properly. I'd say that's pretty solid grounds to get pissed off on. Especially on my Birthday. I just wanted to eat cake and play pass the parcel, I didn't want/need to be trolled. :(

But I didn't attack you. I didn't even call you a liar although I certainly insinuated it rightly so though since your comment about the lack of widescreen video on a widescreen device was particularly silly when you think about it.

Your post reads like a typical Anti Apple troll (Not attacking, suggesting or insinuating anything) which is partly why I responded. I wasn't attacking you or trolling you and you took my post way way out of context.

Happy Birthday.

Last edited: