not sure if it's the right section but regarding a laptop

XXXXX

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jan 12, 2004
ok i have set a budget of 600 pounds for a laptop looking for the best i can buy for this but having never had a laptop before any advice or links to good ones would be helpfull. was looking to get from pcworld as its close by but not sure on specs and such for laptops and this pc is messed up so cant seem to view most of pc world site.

any help and info on good/bad laptops would be great.

and try and stay under the 600 pounds budget :Þ.

if theres a good one for under that at pc world please link me to it as i cant seem to search the site as i get script errors.

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
XXXXX said:
ok i have set a budget of 600 pounds for a laptop looking for the best i can buy for this but having never had a laptop before any advice or links to good ones would be helpfull. was looking to get from pcworld as its close by but not sure on specs and such for laptops and this pc is messed up so cant seem to view most of pc world site.

any help and info on good/bad laptops would be great.

and try and stay under the 600 pounds budget :Þ.

if theres a good one for under that at pc world please link me to it as i cant seem to search the site as i get script errors.

wouldnt get any from pcworld mate, they dont know what their doing nor do they have good deals compared to buying from the internet.

Is it a laptop you need or is it because you just would like the idea of carrying it around?

I got my laptop like 2 years ago thought id end up carrying it everywhere and iv hardly used it, much prefer the pc.

Laptops are limited to where to connect to internet, even with satellite connection.

/Tofas

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
::1
XXXXX said:
ok i have set a budget of 600 pounds for a laptop looking for the best i can buy for this but having never had a laptop before any advice or links to good ones would be helpfull

Tell us what you intend to use it for... as a lot of people that end up with laptops would be much better off with a standard desktop system.

/Leo

Zidio

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Nov 2, 2005
LOMCN
LeoCrasher said:
Tell us what you intend to use it for... as a lot of people that end up with laptops would be much better off with a standard desktop system.

/Leo

as said above? am i wrong or miss reading something :S unlike u leo u must have been tired lmfao. let the fox find him 1 hes the pc king :brows:

Zidio

Banned
Banned
Golden Oldie
Nov 2, 2005
LOMCN
erm well tbh i ment milofox ¬_¬

EDIT: shh nooby just cos u messed up!

Last edited:

XXXXX

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jan 12, 2004
well just waiting to hear back about student loan then hopefully going uni and this pc is as good as dead so for a new system it would just be more practical to have a laptop.

also is there much difference in performance between laptops and desktop pc's? and i dont mean the top grade desktop pc's as there undoubtably better -_-.

would a laptop be just as practical for playing games also such as mir? and do laptops with touch pads still have a mouse socket to, if i decided to use 1?

whats the difference between standard laptops and notebook ones? :Þ

Elijah

Crystal Dev
Developer
Jul 21, 2004
XXXXX said:
well just waiting to hear back about student loan then hopefully going uni and this pc is as good as dead so for a new system it would just be more practical to have a laptop.

also is there much difference in performance between laptops and desktop pc's? and i dont mean the top grade desktop pc's as there undoubtably better -_-.

would a laptop be just as practical for playing games also such as mir? and do laptops with touch pads still have a mouse socket to, if i decided to use 1?

whats the difference between standard laptops and notebook ones? :Þ

1. Arnt notebook's just another name for a laptop?
2. You are looking at more money to buy a laptop than the same spec pc.
3. Some laptops are prown to overheating because of placement of fans, on a side point their more to have repaired usualy.
4. Laptops are never as fast as pc's from my own experience.
5. Upgrading a laptop is more expensive than computers.
6. The mouse slot is dependant on what laptop you buy, most laptops have a few usb ports so you could just use a usb mouse.
7. Every laptop you can buy brand new should be able to run mir fine as its a very low spec game, bar a few laptops which are really low models i guess. But if the fans are placed say underneith and dont have enough lift from the surface they can overheat.
Currently i have to put pc game cases on the stand bits on back part of my laptop jsut to stop it from over heating when im only using msn on it.

Needs a good clean out i guess...... Im sure ill get round to it sometime.

/Tofas

-Many more points, but i got bored writing them all, and besides u should get the picture.

Last edited:

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
@Tofas
1. No, notebooks tend to be a bit bigger and heavier. Name was given to get around the assumption that you can put it on ur lap. Thus, avoiding court cases involving burns. Google: MacBook Pro women burns
4. There are plenty of laptops that have admirable specifications, however within his £600 range... I see your point.
5. Sane people with warrenties don't internally upgrade laptops - they buy USB stuffs instead.
6. No modern laptop doesn't have a USB port - perfect for normal mouses.

@Zildo
Eh? You've got me totally confused. Something you said 'before'?, but you've not made a post on this thread before me and XXXXX didn't mention his intentions for the system. Maybe its you that was tired?

@XXXXX
Lets be realistic for a second. You've told us that you want to play games and your looking for a perfomance system, yet you've neglected to mention the key selling points of a laptop; portability, weight, size, battery usage, and connectivity. Personally I think you want a lappy for the novelty rather than having the system out of need.

Let me give you a few case studys...

The Leo:
I use a laptop and I'm merely at college - but I take it to every lesson and use it in every class (I don't use paper... too heavy). Mine is also one of the smallest, lightest with longest battery life lappys you can get. (I'm small, feeble and work for hours on end). If your doing something similar, consider an 'ultraportable'.

The sweaty geek with no sense of work:
This guy comes to my computing class with a 'desktop replacement' laptop. The only thing I've seen him load on it is MSWord, VBE and Call of Duty 2. Obvious waste of money since the thing is only used for four hours a week to do the above. Also it doesn't help that it needs constant charging during class and theres around 60 better spec'd PC's all around him.

Casual gamer:
This student plays lots of games... too many. He works hard, but only on paper. He does homework at home, on his gaming desktop PC. Suitable for almost every student out there. His system was a cheap thing too.

Basically the point I'm trying to get across is that you should only be thinking about a laptop at Uni if your me. Gaming and performance are things suited to desktop PC's - which is right for YOU since you've not mentioned actually doing any work. I understand that your dorm room maybe small, but you can get slimline desktops to meet with that need.

Only consider a laptop if theres an actual NEED to do so such as working on the move. Otherwise you will prolly be carrying a jaugernaught around with you all day.

/Leo

XXXXX

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jan 12, 2004
double post my bad

20 characters

Last edited:

XXXXX

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jan 12, 2004
LeoCrasher said:
@XXXXX
Lets be realistic for a second. You've told us that you want to play games and your looking for a perfomance system, yet you've neglected to mention the key selling points of a laptop; portability, weight, size, battery usage, and connectivity. Personally I think you want a lappy for the novelty rather than having the system out of need.

Let me give you a few case studys...

The Leo:
I use a laptop and I'm merely at college - but I take it to every lesson and use it in every class (I don't use paper... too heavy). Mine is also one of the smallest, lightest with longest battery life lappys you can get. (I'm small, feeble and work for hours on end). If your doing something similar, consider an 'ultraportable'.

The sweaty geek with no sense of work:
This guy comes to my computing class with a 'desktop replacement' laptop. The only thing I've seen him load on it is MSWord, VBE and Call of Duty 2. Obvious waste of money since the thing is only used for four hours a week to do the above. Also it doesn't help that it needs constant charging during class and theres around 60 better spec'd PC's all around him.

Casual gamer:
This student plays lots of games... too many. He works hard, but only on paper. He does homework at home, on his gaming desktop PC. Suitable for almost every student out there. His system was a cheap thing too.

Basically the point I'm trying to get across is that you should only be thinking about a laptop at Uni if your me. Gaming and performance are things suited to desktop PC's - which is right for YOU since you've not mentioned actually doing any work. I understand that your dorm room maybe small, but you can get slimline desktops to meet with that need.

Only consider a laptop if theres an actual NEED to do so such as working on the move. Otherwise you will prolly be carrying a jaugernaught around with you all day.

/Leo

ok to make things more clear as i didn't think i needed to be at the time and was a quick write up before work, i am after a laptop as i will be staying at uni but possibly going home on weekends and a laptop is more managable than a pc for transport purposes as well as enabling me to do extra work if needed whilst travelling from uni and back, i didn't intend to use it for just gaming purposes but a friend of mine plays and when i get some free time i just wasnt sure if gaming on them would be an issue and also as someone has pointed out how well they standed up to multiple hours of use (overheating). i need a new pc but i cant afford to buy both its either laptop or pc and as it's a possibility i may be travelling back and forth from home as well. space isn't really the issue although i have no idea how big the place i'll be in if i go will be so i can only put a question mark with that, the type of usage involved would be for generall work and study purposes (whatever that entails im sure you can figure out leo) watching movies on and occassionally playing games although probrably not high end games requiring good performance such as doom 3 but more alond the lines of things such as mir and maybe dawn of war (not sure on the later but thats not important) so i dont think performance is that big of an issue.

the only questions i have really now are which are the bad models and which are good at a reasonable price? not looking for the best money can buy just one for 600 to maybe 800 at a push that has never caused problems and is rated pretty well.

I'd say a good battery life would be required but also not having a heat issue with it, i'm not small and feeble though :Þ, i just think a much better pc wouldnt serve much extra use during my time studying and such and the extra performance from a pc wouldn't make much difference.

also leo seeing as you mentioned uni there i did have a few things to pick your brain about but i'll just pm you.

hopefully this has clarified it more for you.

Last edited:

LeoCrasher

Former Administrator
VIP
Mar 23, 2003
To be brutally honest with a spec like that, any piece of **** will do.

The only thing I recommened is that you go for one from a reputable company (e.g. Dell, Sony, Acer, etc) with good battery life. Obviously it might help if its from the "ultraportable" catagory if you want to use it on the train.

I can go find some suitable models if you wish, but I'm quite confident that you can find a good model yourself since your not really that limited by what you want.

/Leo

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
@XXXXX: Just to let you know that every laptop battery will die :( You probs already know anyway :P Just make sure you buy a decent laptop, mine cost around £1100 at the time (years & years ago), and the battery lasted around 2 and a half years, which isnt too bad i supose. I am not saying the more you pay, the more battery life you will get. I am trying to say make sure it's a good laptop for its price. :)

If that makes any sense :P

EDIT: Leo has covered everything + more of what i have said, but i am just posting my views ^_^

Shard

LOMCN Veteran
Veteran
Loyal Member
Jul 12, 2003
Amen to the dude who uses Novatech laptops.

I got one with a 15.4" widescreen, AMD Turion 64 1.6ghz, 512MB ram, DVD-RW, for about 550 I think it was. Very stable laptop and very trustworthy company.

Ash

Peace Not War .
VIP
Mar 13, 2004
England (UK)
PC world = Rip off.

IF you ever buy a computer from PC world, get a 3+ Year Warranty...When i brought my PC (a few years ago :P ), i only got a 1year...Within in that year , NOTHING went wrong with my PC..And a few months after that year when the
warranty had run out, my power unit packed up. I went back there to buy one (because i needed a "special" type for my pc they told me), and i found out it would cost me £100 for one, this includes them fitting it lmao -_-

I ended up just paying £29 for a new case with a built in power unit, and wacking my mobo etc into there ^_^

So although "PC World" sounds good, it's not.

XXXXX

Banned
Banned
Veteran
Jan 12, 2004
ok thanks for the info there everyone, to the person who mentioned power units dieing after a couple of years, how much do the power units retail for anyway? and is there a way of finding out the battery life if im buying from a store rather than online? as lets face it most employees are trying to make a sale so will probrably make up a battery life time.

seems like most things are covered here but after some though i'm thinking about getting one a little more powerfull than i first planned for my own reasons.

thanks all :)

JealY

LOMCN VIP
VIP
Nov 28, 2004
England
XXXXX said:
ok thanks for the info there everyone, to the person who mentioned power units dieing after a couple of years, how much do the power units retail for anyway? and is there a way of finding out the battery life if im buying from a store rather than online? as lets face it most employees are trying to make a sale so will probrably make up a battery life time.

seems like most things are covered here but after some though i'm thinking about getting one a little more powerfull than i first planned for my own reasons.

thanks all :)
buy me power pakz dey last for generationz!

I suppose anybody can lie to make a sale, i've had my power unit for yonks now, although my dad bought a complete new pc a few months ago and his power unit packed in, he just slipped a new one in, dunno how much it set him back though.

/J34lY

Last edited: